U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2010, 11:32 AM

470 posts, read 999,248 times

Advertisements

My family and I are thinking about moving to decatur because of the schools and community feel. My wife works downtown so her commute will be easy but I work in buckhead. What sort of commute should I expect? And what route?

We recently moved from Roswell because our commute was too tough to downtown (renting in smyrna now). But we need want a good public school along with a great community.

We would like to stay in smyrna but the only elementary school that is halfway good is Teasley and that has 900 or so kids. At least the decatur elementary schools only have 380 or so kids in each.

The commute from smyrna to both locations is pretty good but again, we need the good schools. Am I setting myself up for a bad commute again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 11:55 AM

222 posts, read 615,273 times
I live in North Decatur and work in Sandy Springs - about 1/2 hour there and 35-40 min on the way back. I take side roads to Lavista, turn on Buford Highway and get on GA 400 at Sidney Marcus. It really depends on where you live in Decatur and where in Buckhead you have to go. I tried driving my commute a few times before we moved over here to see what it's like - I would recommend that.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:06 PM

Thanks! We are looking at oakhurst and I work at the intersection of lenox and piedmont

Old 11-29-2010, 08:12 AM

20,946 posts, read 32,935,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blakeas View Post
Thanks! We are looking at oakhurst and I work at the intersection of lenox and piedmont
Your biggest challenge will be getting 'across the tracks' in downtown Decatur. When I lived in downtown Decatur (north of the tracks), It would take me 20-25 minutes to make that drive:

W Ponce de Leon>right on Coventry Rd
Coventry Rd>right on E Clifton Rd
E Clifton Rd>right on Clifton Rd
Clifton Rd>left on Oxford Rd
Oxford Rd>left on N Decatur Rd
N Decatur Rd becomes E Rock Springs Rd
E Rock Springs Rd>right on N Highland Ave
N Highland Ave>veer left onto Lenox Rd
Lenox Rd blends into Cheshire Bridge Rd
Continue until CBR becomes Lenox Rd; continue until Lenox becomes the Buckhead Loop and dead ends into Piedmont.

Old 11-29-2010, 09:45 AM

12,918 posts, read 20,999,039 times
Quote:
We would like to stay in smyrna but the only elementary school that is halfway good is Teasley and that has 900 or so kids. At least the decatur elementary schools only have 380 or so kids in each.
blakeas,

I don't know where you are getting your information, but Teasley only has around 481 students. It has always been a smaller school.

King Springs has roughly 553 students. This is also fairly small for a Metro Atlanta elementary school.

I will post a little more later on the other thread you have going--but I will say this now: If you like Smyrna so much, the quality of these good/great elementary schools would not be the reason to leave the area at all.

Old 11-29-2010, 10:04 AM

we really like the Williams Park Neighborhood because of the mix of old and new however that is not not teasley or king springs - is there a subdivsion like that in teasley or king springs? - . Then what about the middle school though?

Old 11-29-2010, 10:48 AM

12,918 posts, read 20,999,039 times
Quote:
we really like the Williams Park Neighborhood because of the mix of old and new however that is not not teasley or king springs - is there a subdivsion like that in teasley or king springs? - . Then what about the middle school though?

Williams Park is in which school district?

The "golden five" of Smyrna/Vinings/Mableton:

Teasley
King Springs
Mableton
Nickajack
Brown

Old 11-29-2010, 10:56 AM

belmont hills - basically the neighborhood is right acroos from the smyrna market village across the tracks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or