Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 12:03 PM

7 posts, read 16,526 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm 19 and from Brazil, I'm applying for some schools to study 6 months.
Georgia Institute of Technology is one of my options, but I've never been to Georgia, so I was wondering how's the nightlife there? Are there many people from other countries, like Japan or even Brazil? Cuz I was kind of looking for some really american experience. I really need to improve my english.

I would really be greatful if someone could tell me which of those places that I'm applying it's really cool to live, beautiful, great weather, nice nightlife, great shopping, with good looking people, a lot of young cool people and a nice place to study, a really good school with the university games and parties. No need to be a big city, I just wanna have some great 6 months:

Brigham Young University - Provo, Utah
The University of Texas at Austin
Georgia Institute of Technology

(those are my U.S. options... I have Bocconi in Italy and HEC - Montreal in Canada too)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2010, 02:33 PM

1,114 posts, read 2,348,885 times
UT Austin will have the best nightlife easily. The entire city is built around that school and it shows. Nothing against the Mormons but Brigham Young skews a bit conservative even if the students are still just college students and don't mind a little fun. You'll find stricter drinking laws and a tendency toward a more conservative student populace (not everyone...just the more devout church members). Georgia Tech being mostly male (engineers don't get out as much) doesn't make it a great place for on-campus parties but Atlanta itself has plenty to do if you can get around town.

Hardly a scientific study but I don't disagree w/ their review:
Brigham Young University Review - Nightlife - College Prowler
Georgia Institute of Technology Review - Nightlife - College Prowler
University of Texas Review - Nightlife - College Prowler (http://collegeprowler.com/university-of-texas/nightlife/ - broken link)

Old 11-28-2010, 02:42 PM

Thank you very much, very helpful really!!

Old 11-28-2010, 02:55 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,017,508 times
It's way better than Austin. Tx last call is at 1:45am...lol

You cant have a great nightlife if the clubs/bars close early

Old 11-28-2010, 03:00 PM

3,708 posts, read 5,982,315 times
Atlanta's last call isn't much later than that.

Austin is the best of the group for nightlife (probably by a big margin), but Atlanta has some thriving nightlife districts within walking distance of Tech's campus. I do not think very many of the people in the bars are actually Tech students though.

Austin is the better "standard American college" experience, while Atlanta is perhaps the better "standard America" experience. There are some Brazilians, but not a whole lot. They by and large don't live anywhere near the campus, either.

As for Utah, I don't think you could pay me enough...

Old 11-28-2010, 03:04 PM

Yeah, I think I'll cut Utah off the list lol

Old 11-28-2010, 04:27 PM

196 posts, read 208,504 times
But, Austin is a pit compared to Atlanta. There are way more concerts & selection of things to do at night in ATL. We have the Falcons, the Braves.

And GIT is a way better school than UTex@Austin... just don't live too close to campus

Old 11-28-2010, 04:37 PM

357 posts, read 783,273 times
I've never been to Austin, but I hear great things about that city.

Can I ask, why GA Tech? The University of Georgia in Athens is about an hour and half from Atlanta and offers a great college experience! UGA was voted best party school in the country. Athens offers everything you're looking for. I'd recommend looking into it. Best 4 years of my life, hands down.

on a side note... it is a very good school haha

Old 11-28-2010, 04:52 PM

5,185 posts, read 7,563,763 times
Austin would be a better choice. It may have a more internationally friendly nightlife. lastcall is the least of your worries, especially if you are partying with black thugs by accident. Coming from Brazil, what sort of music do they play in the Brazil bar/club scene? Atlanta does the southern rap thing mostly...which brings out that certain element. The older (grown & sexy) crowd is sometimes a safe place to party, but the DJs are always boring or washed up & the crowds can be just as tired...which is very surprising being its Atlanta. Also are you a guy or a girl, this is a very important factor in nightlife as well. From your first post you describe a place like LA ot NYC, but then say you dont need a big city so...its confusing. Austin seems to be a place with a lot going for it, so I have read. Everything Im am saying is subjective, Im also in my 30s & had more fun in florida clubs when I was younger.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:14 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slambango View Post
But, Austin is a pit compared to Atlanta. There are way more concerts & selection of things to do at night in ATL. We have the Falcons, the Braves.

And GIT is a way better school than UTex@Austin... just don't live too close to campus
The University of Texas is a great school. I don't know what you are talking about. It's at about the same level as Tech and probably better for certain programs.

Best Colleges - Education - US News

If I had the choice I'd go with UT. It has much more of a "college" atmosphere. Tech seems very dull in comparison and Atlanta nightlife has fizzled over the past few years. I went to college in Atlanta(Georgia State) and I regret not having that quintessential college experience that I would have had somewhere like Athens, Knoxville, or even Austin.

The club scene is VERY pretentious here and I'm sure things in Austin are at least a little more laid back. They have to be. It's all about showing off here, not having fun.

The decent "college" bars aren't even that close to Tech. There are a handful in Buckhead and a couple in Virginia Highland but other than that the bars are full of boring old people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: