U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 01:09 PM

16 posts, read 34,867 times

Advertisements

Okay so I'm a single young professional guy moving from New Orleans to the ATL. I have spent some time in ATL over the past few years and had always assumed if I ever lived there I'd definitely buy a condo in a high-rise in Midtown - easy peasy.

After looking extensively (mostly online, but some in person) I'm a bit underwhelmed at the quality of these Midtown highrise complexes. They're all cookie cutter and what I call "faux nice", meaning that they look nice enough but upon closer examination they're pretty much all soulless, institutionalized units, etc. There's a couple of unique 1-bedrooms but all of the 2-bedrooms (what I'd prefer to buy) are just blah.

I recently discovered Castleberry Hill. Now THAT'S a neighborhood that speaks to me - the lofts, exposed brick, industrial feel, truly unique floorplans, etc. The neighborhood seems charming, and it is now seemingly a slam-dunk in CH's favor.

But then I did the dreaded "Google search" and found that CH is/has become the go-to spot for urban and hip-hop nightlife. Huge problem for me - Please don't get me wrong... I'm from New Orleans for crying out loud. I've lived all over metro New Orleans and loved everyplace I lived - EXCEPT the one place that was close to urban/hiphop nightlife. The intense bass "thumping" that constantly goes on drives me crazy. I am more of a swanky hotel bar kind of patron when I go out on dates after dinner - I can handle true clubs only once or twice a month.

Is it really true that I'd be miserable in CH from this aspect? It seemed so darn tranquil and artsy by day - a real neighborhood. Is it true that no young yuppie/metro professional people (i.e. residents of CH) go out for dinner and wine in CH? The places I've been looking to buy into are all on Peters St (right by Noir it appears).

One last thing - I'm single, fit, etc. and look forward to actively dating. So I guess that would also swing the pendulum back firmly into the Midtown corner, I suppose? Having an address in Midtown would be pimp and the ability to pull the old "want to come up for one last drink? I'm only right there" line while gesturing to my complex would presumably be worth its weight in gold. I haven't had that but once in my life and it rocked.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by LiveMike78; 12-01-2010 at 01:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2010, 01:31 PM

1,498 posts, read 2,552,079 times
I haven't really heard about it much recently, so I don't know if its still the black nightlife spot. I would assume that it is. I know the article you're referring to, from 2008 or so, correct? I would advise you to check it out on a weekend and see what its like. I have never been out down there before, but I wouldn't have considered it high on the young whites social scene list, even before it became a black spot.

I know what you mean about having a place next door to the bar, it makes things a whole lot more fun. Midtown would work for that and would be a better place for going out in general. Look for a condo close to Crescent Avenue. Buckhead would probably work as well. Which one you want depends on what type of scene - Buckhead more bar scene, Midtown more club scene.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:36 PM

876 posts, read 1,889,803 times
Castleberry Hill is definitely more gritty, city-like feel. The loft condos there are cheaper for the space than what you would find in more upscale Midtown. Most of what you see in CH were an industrial area where actual lofts were created out of old buildings used decades ago either as meat packing plants, manufacturering or even the old early 1900s hotels. That gives CH a bit more character in a way, but CH is nowhere as built up and upscale as most of Midtown is.

I personally like CH over Midtown, but if I were a shopper and into bars, I would choose Midtown. MT is more upscale and lively at night. Cruising goes on anywhere in Atlanta, it is not limited to CH by any means. Most people prefer MT by far over CH, but it's your choice. CH is definitely more artsy and community like to a degree. I lived near Peters Street some years ago now in a loft. I loved it, but it had drawbacks, too. Especially with shopping and some of my friends did not want to see the place (thinking downtown crime, etc). People have been living in lofts in CH since the early 1990s that I was aware of, possibly earlier. Rather diverse group of people, too.

If I were you, I would rent short term and then give yourself time to buy, especially if you do not have a lot of stuff. Condo prices now are low and the market is very soft, so you have plenty to choose from. There are many desperate people wanting to rent out condos, I would definitely take my time in buying if I were in your shoes.

Old 12-01-2010, 08:57 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,250,672 times
Perhaps you should also check out Virginia-Highlands. There are historic apartments and condos there and you can walk to nightlife that attracts young singles.

Old 12-01-2010, 09:22 PM

1,641 posts, read 2,208,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMike78 View Post
Okay so I'm a single young professional guy moving from New Orleans to the ATL. I have spent some time in ATL over the past few years and had always assumed if I ever lived there I'd definitely buy a condo in a high-rise in Midtown - easy peasy.

After looking extensively (mostly online, but some in person) I'm a bit underwhelmed at the quality of these Midtown highrise complexes. They're all cookie cutter and what I call "faux nice", meaning that they look nice enough but upon closer examination they're pretty much all soulless, institutionalized units, etc. There's a couple of unique 1-bedrooms but all of the 2-bedrooms (what I'd prefer to buy) are just blah.

I recently discovered Castleberry Hill. Now THAT'S a neighborhood that speaks to me - the lofts, exposed brick, industrial feel, truly unique floorplans, etc. The neighborhood seems charming, and it is now seemingly a slam-dunk in CH's favor.

But then I did the dreaded "Google search" and found that CH is/has become the go-to spot for urban and hip-hop nightlife. Huge problem for me - Please don't get me wrong... I'm from New Orleans for crying out loud. I've lived all over metro New Orleans and loved everyplace I lived - EXCEPT the one place that was close to urban/hiphop nightlife. The intense bass "thumping" that constantly goes on drives me crazy. I am more of a swanky hotel bar kind of patron when I go out on dates after dinner - I can handle true clubs only once or twice a month.

Is it really true that I'd be miserable in CH from this aspect? It seemed so darn tranquil and artsy by day - a real neighborhood. Is it true that no young yuppie/metro professional people (i.e. residents of CH) go out for dinner and wine in CH? The places I've been looking to buy into are all on Peters St (right by Noir it appears).

One last thing - I'm single, fit, etc. and look forward to actively dating. So I guess that would also swing the pendulum back firmly into the Midtown corner, I suppose? Having an address in Midtown would be pimp and the ability to pull the old "want to come up for one last drink? I'm only right there" line while gesturing to my complex would presumably be worth its weight in gold. I haven't had that but once in my life and it rocked.

Thanks in advance.
I would live at CH, just because it's more promising and it'll hold it's value a lot better than in Atlanta, due to Gentrification and how ridiculous the condos are for their price in Atlanta.

Old 12-01-2010, 10:24 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,598,996 times
^Dude...Castleberry Hill is IN Atlanta.

That being said, I've never understood the buzz about Castleberry Hill. There really isn't all that much there from what I've seen. What is there, a pizza place? a handful of art galleries?(they can be cool but I wouldn't exactly have to live next to them) Maybe a lounge or two and that's it? Maybe I should try it out one evening but it always seems relatively dead when I ride by there on weekend nights lately.

Midtown would definitely be more convenient in my opinion. You have several different grocery stores within a handful of blocks anywhere in midtown and I can't even think of the closest grocery store to CH. You also have more variety as far as nightlife. You have the trendy clubs on Crescent, the yuppie bars just across the park in the Highlands, and a whole bunch of dives and regular neighborhood joints scattered throughout. You also have walking access to the High, the Fox, and a few other venues.

I'd imagine the prices wouldn't be dramatically different either. Obviously I'd go with Midtown.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 AM

426 posts, read 2,113,463 times
For what you're looking for my vote would go to Midtown too. You don't have to buy a condo in one of the tall glass soulless buildings. Midtown has a diverse range of housing stock. There are a TON of historic buildings you could find condos and lofts in and still be within walking distance of the bar/club scene, Piedmont Park, and the rest Midtown has to offer. Just look on the side streets like 8th, Myrtle, even Piedmont and Junniper. I think then you'll find more of your young demogrpahic community feel you're looking for too. As long as you avoid trying to have Peachtree or West Peachtree address I think you'll be fine.

Old 12-02-2010, 08:21 AM

21,089 posts, read 33,079,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMike78 View Post
I'm not really understanding this statement, except that it was made by someone who really hasn't done the legwork. Midtown has an impressive array of condominium buildings of every age and style. Some of my favorite Midtown condo buildings are the older ones:

http://reidhousecondo.com/

The Ponce Condominium

The Villa Condominium - Historic Atlanta Condominium in Ansley Park

The Biltmore House - Atlanta, Georgia

About Ansley Terrace

City of Atlanta Online (http://www.atlantaga.gov/government/urbandesign_palmerhouse.aspx - broken link)

Old 12-02-2010, 09:57 AM

12,967 posts, read 21,071,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
I'm not really understanding this statement, except that it was made by someone who really hasn't done the legwork. Midtown has an impressive array of condominium buildings of every age and style.

My thinking exactly...

Old 12-02-2010, 10:48 AM

9 posts, read 13,782 times
I don't have faith that Castleberry Hill won't lose favor in the future as it gets more and more "loud."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or