U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2010, 10:41 AM

29,293 posts, read 26,226,966 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQQST View Post
I am stuck in this recession-rattled city for a few days for work before heading back to Boston. I can't go to the clubs because the music is horrendous hip hop and I'm not attracted to black men and they don't like little white me and that's all the gay scene is here in Atlanta is: gay hip hop. I can't go to the so called upscale mall because I get mugged. There's nothing around my hotel except wig shops.
What part of town are you staying in? It actually sounds rather lively. We've never been to a gay hip hop club and I haven't seen a good wig shop in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2010, 11:49 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,129,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What part of town are you staying in? It actually sounds rather lively. We've never been to a gay hip hop club and I haven't seen a good wig shop in years.
I would guess he's staying in make-believe land, at the corner of racist & delusional.

His posts are beyond comedic. I keep telling him to take this insane drag show on the road.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:30 PM

1,666 posts, read 2,411,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somoso View Post
Well they might several levels of magnitude higher than Atlanta in terms of established show business BUT there are far more many people in either NYC and LA than could possibly get work yet that doesn't discourage people from arriving in droves seeking that dream. But ,yes, at least there is some history and tradition associated with going to LA and NYC to "make it" but the reality is that very,very few actually make it as working actors and even fewer as "name" actors, and even more fewer that achieve superstar status.

Thanks for clearing that up because people seem to think that all the growth is from people moving here because they heard something from someone else, which is a lie. People who move here trying to make it are usually the ones that are trying to get a record deal. I think its bogus that someone would take a few cases and try to say this is what everyone is doing.

Old 12-03-2010, 04:32 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,514,632 times
Quote:
So basically people move to ATL to make it on BET, while people move to LA or NY to make it in the real world?
Actually, BET is headquartered out of DC. They come here to be on CNN, TBS, The Weather Channel, Comedy Central, and Cartoon Network.

As a fellow 'oppressing' gay white male, I can relate to you. As I sit here now in my home that I own in an upper middle class majority white neighborhood outside Atlanta, I can feel the fear grow. Every time I go to the mailbox the black kids from across the street seem to stare sinisterly at me and my delicate disposition. I have tried to talk to their father, but alas, he is a deadbeat cardiologist and can never relate to my 'oppressing' ways. I thank you for your rational, unadulterated truths.

Old 12-03-2010, 05:53 PM

106 posts, read 196,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansascrip View Post
It was just brought to my attention the struggles of employment loss on Atl's ecomony. Check it out.
Brookings: ATL hammered by Great Recession | Atlanta Business Chronicle

I think this article is fairly accurate, I will say though, I most definately see a rise in productivity and hiring in my industry, and others from a far glance. I think we've hit the economic bottom already, I think it's now just a slow climb out of the hole. As lame as this sounds, I think positivity will have a large part in getting us out of this rut, if peoples outlooks start to change, and bosses are more inclined to hire those few extra workers productivity will begin to rise, more sales will be made. One thing is for sure, we've all become aware of our finances, and we are less apt to make the same financial mistake with "living beyond our means". I think it's all about adjusting to this new world we live in.

Old 12-03-2010, 06:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 2,141,221 times
Atlanta in my mind is a very wealthy place! ! !

Old 12-03-2010, 08:55 PM

131 posts, read 474,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrowOldGetWise View Post
I think this article is fairly accurate, I will say though, I most definately see a rise in productivity and hiring in my industry, and others from a far glance. I think we've hit the economic bottom already, I think it's now just a slow climb out of the hole. As lame as this sounds, I think positivity will have a large part in getting us out of this rut, if peoples outlooks start to change, and bosses are more inclined to hire those few extra workers productivity will begin to rise, more sales will be made. One thing is for sure, we've all become aware of our finances, and we are less apt to make the same financial mistake with "living beyond our means". I think it's all about adjusting to this new world we live in.
what industry are you working in? could I network with you?

Old 12-04-2010, 07:15 AM

88 posts, read 118,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
I would guess he's staying in make-believe land, at the corner of racist & delusional.

His posts are beyond comedic. I keep telling him to take this insane drag show on the road.
Really, is that all you can come up with? I read through your posts and you spend hours and hours each day on this board defending Atlanta at every turn. Why you are so insecure about Atlanta? You hate every other city mentioned on here: New York, DC, Boston. You have such a narrow focus on Atlanta.

Stop putting all your cream eggs in one basket, honey. If that article on Atlanta's poor economy is any indication of where things are headed you may find yourself soon in DC, NY or Boston because that is where the jobs are.

Old 12-04-2010, 08:27 AM

8,190 posts, read 12,301,193 times
Quote:
If that article on Atlanta's poor economy is any indication of where things are headed you may find yourself soon in DC, NY or Boston because that is where the jobs are.
DC perhaps, but they surely aren't in NYC or Boston.

Old 12-04-2010, 10:04 AM

7,732 posts, read 12,129,473 times
Quote:
Really, is that all you can come up with? I read through your posts and you spend hours and hours each day on this board defending Atlanta at every turn. Why you are so insecure about Atlanta? You hate every other city mentioned on here: New York, DC, Boston. You have such a narrow focus on Atlanta.

Stop putting all your cream eggs in one basket, honey. If that article on Atlanta's poor economy is any indication of where things are headed you may find yourself soon in DC, NY or Boston because that is where the jobs are.
If you must know, it's solely because of people like you that lie through their teeth all day long about Atlanta.

I have also read through your post history. Fully 99.9% of your posts since you've joined this site have been nothing but trashing Atlanta at every single turn. What exactly is YOUR agenda?

The only way I would EVER move to D.C, NY or Boston would be under court order, honey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or