U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-01-2010, 02:16 PM
 
Location: NE Kansas City, MO
201 posts, read 406,865 times
Reputation: 85

Advertisements

It was just brought to my attention the struggles of employment loss on Atl's ecomony. Check it out.
Brookings: ATL hammered by Great Recession | Atlanta Business Chronicle
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-01-2010, 02:41 PM
 
Location: East side - Metro ATL
1,325 posts, read 2,188,200 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansascrip View Post
It was just brought to my attention the struggles of employment loss on Atl's ecomony. Check it out.
Brookings: ATL hammered by Great Recession | Atlanta Business Chronicle
Whoever wrote that article cannot spell. In addition, it seems like someone on this board is sending this particular article to many individuals on this board. You are not the first to receive this: North Carolina vs Georgia vs Virginia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 02:45 PM
 
Location: metro ATL
8,190 posts, read 12,275,546 times
Reputation: 2698
This belongs in the Atlanta forum, not city vs. city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 03:25 PM
 
Location: St Simons Island, GA
22,717 posts, read 34,775,892 times
Reputation: 14848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
This belongs in the Atlanta forum, not city vs. city.
Agreed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 04:34 PM
 
88 posts, read 118,193 times
Reputation: 70
This terrible economy of Atlanta makes sense. There are no jobs and the natives resort to MUGGING innocent tourists in Buckhead for the shopping bags. I know. It happened to me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 04:43 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,262 posts, read 2,510,761 times
Reputation: 966
Quote:
Originally Posted by TSQQST View Post
This terrible economy of Atlanta makes sense. There are no jobs and the natives resort to MUGGING innocent tourists in Buckhead for the shopping bags. I know. It happened to me!
Damn! My plan has been foiled!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 04:46 PM
 
2,576 posts, read 3,712,762 times
Reputation: 2980
Oh my God!!!!! The Ghetto Drag Queens strike again!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 04:50 PM
 
Location: Acworth
1,352 posts, read 3,856,426 times
Reputation: 468
i'll trade you shopping bags for designer jeans and atms

job market is horrible.. there are still low end retail jobs but nothing that will pay the bills.

high end executives are not affected but those are such a niche their market is steady and often grandfathered
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 04:58 PM
 
2,576 posts, read 3,712,762 times
Reputation: 2980
Oh yeah. About the economy. I think the job market has always been extremely competitive in Atlanta with more people constantly moving in than available jobs. My theory is it's easier to take a risk on moving here without a job lined up than it is to say, New York, just because the cost of living is much lower.

Take all that into account and figure that a huge percentage of Atlanta jobs are in construction or construction related industries, transportation, and hospitality. It's pretty obvious this city was bound to get hit hard in a recession as bad as the last one. The tight job market is even tighter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-01-2010, 05:13 PM
 
88 posts, read 118,193 times
Reputation: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Oh yeah. About the economy. I think the job market has always been extremely competitive in Atlanta with more people constantly moving in than available jobs. My theory is it's easier to take a risk on moving here without a job lined up than it is to say, New York, just because the cost of living is much lower.

Take all that into account and figure that a huge percentage of Atlanta jobs are in construction or construction related industries, transportation, and hospitality. It's pretty obvious this city was bound to get hit hard in a recession as bad as the last one. The tight job market is even tighter.
So basically people are moving here with no job because they saw it advertised on BET?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top