U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 05:33 PM

12,917 posts, read 20,990,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by syracusa View Post
From this:

If he/she has an eye to make the commentary above...I am not sure he/she is "teaparty"-esque.
He does, however, appear to be more tolerant of that type of persona than I would.

Either way, we happen to be one of those families that would not fit too well with any political extreme in the US. We just tend to have a more global, cross-cultural perspective and typically, we don't do all that well when placed in parochial, insular, overly "all-American" environments. Hence the fears about East Cobb.

International diversity (yet safe, with an overall educated population) is key for us, but it seems very hard to secure outside of very expensive areas in big cities.

Find a place in the Eastvalley Elementary School district (based on your concerns/fears/wants/needs/desires/criteria).

The middle school and high school that Eastvalley feeds into are good.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 05:47 PM

4,044 posts, read 5,947,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Find a place in the Eastvalley Elementary School district (based on your concerns/fears/wants/needs/desires/criteria).

The middle school and high school that Eastvalley feeds into are good.
Looks like you are talking about the Wheeler district.

One more thing would be whether this area has any walkability to it whatsoever.

The reason we are sort of fixated on Walton / close to Johnson Ferry is because we want at least a shred of a sense of urbanity to the place. We need to know we would be able to walk SOMEWHERE. Frankly speaking, we are more than a bit put off by Walton district's "upper class/anxious over-achievers" label, but we are very attracted to the idea of being able to walk to Johnson Ferry.

It was our understanding that all other parts of East Cobb would be completely non-walkable and you would need the car to get absolutely anywhere.

This may be incorrect though.

Last edited by syracusa; 12-02-2010 at 06:01 PM..

Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,949,137 times
Quote:
If he/she has an eye to make the commentary above...I am not sure he/she is "teaparty"-esque.
He does, however, appear to be more tolerant of that type of persona than I would.

Either way, we happen to be one of those families that would not fit too well with any political extreme in the US. We just tend to have a more global, cross-cultural perspective and typically, we don't do all that well when placed in parochial, insular, overly "all-American" environments. Hence the fears about East Cobb.

International diversity (yet safe, with an overall educated population) is key for us, but it seems very hard to secure outside of very expensive areas in big cities.
Re "teaparty-esque" and the previous poster, I agree entirely. I wasn't intend to paint him/her that way, and the entire comment perhaps went a bit far in trying to be humorous.

East Cobb is pretty All-American. We moved here from Canada and did experience some culture shock. However, there are lots of northern transplants here too, so it's not entirely insular. I think there's quite a bit of variation between neighborhoods and I'm in a relatively more insular part of East Cobb, perhaps. I think you should give aries' advice consideration. He always seems very knowledgeable about this area.

I actually commute pretty near the entire length of the Cobb portion of Johnson Ferry between home and work. Err, I can't imagine regarding walking to any part of it particularly desirable. A pleasant stroll to the strip mall...?

Old 12-02-2010, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neemy View Post
I grew up in East Cobb, graduated from Lassiter, and my son is in the special needs program at Pope. He's at Fitzhugh-Lee, currently, in Smyrna (he has Aspergers) and will be transitioning to Walton, then back to Pope. The schools are excellent.

Yes, people drive nice cars, here. Even the students. Not all. It's an affluent area.

Yes, it's conservative. Not all. Liberals do live here. International couples do live here (I was almost part of one).

But if you come here with loaded with certain expectations, and it seems you have a pretty negative view, already (spoiled and entitled??), that's what you're going to see. That goes for here, there, and bum**** AL.
Neemy,

I do understand your standpoint (be positive no matter what) and I agree with that, up to a point. Beyond a certain point though, people need to remain realistic when they make certain life choices that have the potential of dramatically impacting their well being.
I learned the hard way that a good fit in terms of neighborhood, city, heck, even country (for today's nomads) are extremely important.
Despite popular wisdom, people are not the same everywhere. Sure, deep down, we are all human, want to be happy and want the best for our families.

But beyond this fundamental level, there is a world of intricate cultural differences between various groups of people and underestimating them can be a major, major mistake. At least, this has been my experience.

You said that people there drive "nice cars".
Well, I don't. Not because I could not afford a nice car, but because I literally hate the idea of "driving a nice car". I am more of the "use it up, wear it out, make it do or do without" mindset; and no, it wasn't the recession that made me this way. It is who I am.

The question is not even "what would those people think of me driving a blah, older car?" but rather "what kind of neighborhood relationships would I be able to develop with people who are so much into showcasing "nice stuff?".

Because in the long-term, I DO intend to make some friends in the neighborhood and I like my friends like-minded.

This is the reason why we are trying to gather as much info about the area as we can (even if some of the info requires getting less than PC). We have been through a "select a neighborhood to live from a distance" type of relocation with less than stellar results, and because we will be forced to do it again, we decided to not kid around this time.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
A pleasant stroll to the strip mall...?
A pleasant stroll to ANYTHING, RainyDay.
ANYTHING, at this point!

You're saying no areas off of Johnson Ferry would be walkable in any way, even if the "strolling person" is willing to take strolls to the local charming strip malls?

Before moving to Mass, we lived in Sandy Springs...and I don't remember walking to anything else but strip malls (Whole Foods, Tuesday Morning...good enough).
I also remember weighing much less than what I weigh now in walkable-to-nowhere Mass 'burb.

Old 12-02-2010, 06:44 PM

28,134 posts, read 24,659,949 times
You know, there's no doubt that East Cobb trends conservative. That's true of most upscale suburbs everywhere.

However, that doesn't mean you're alone. I was just looking over the 2008 election results for Cobb County, and while McCain carried most precincts, Obama still made a strong showing and took 45% of Cobb County overall. Even in East Cobb he polled between 25-40% of the voters.

So while you may be in the minority, you'd be far from isolated.

Old 12-02-2010, 07:56 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,949,137 times
Quote:
A pleasant stroll to ANYTHING, RainyDay.
ANYTHING, at this point!

You're saying no areas off of Johnson Ferry would be walkable in any way, even if the "strolling person" is willing to take strolls to the local charming strip malls?

Before moving to Mass, we lived in Sandy Springs...and I don't remember walking to anything else but strip malls (Whole Foods, Tuesday Morning...good enough).
I also remember weighing much less than what I weigh now in walkable-to-nowhere Mass 'burb.
OK, I get it now!

If I lived in the Walton area I expect I'd walk to the Woodlawn shopping area, actually. And we used to have a friend who lived in the big subdivision off Providence and he was dedicated to taking a brisk walk to the Starbucks at Johnson Ferry and Upper Roswell every morning. (That guy subsequently moved to Mass, coincidentally). So yes, you're quite right, some destination walking is possible.

I'm a bit vague about where the Wheeler area is exactly, so I don't know about walking opportunities there.

(Personally I live in a walkable-to-almost-nowhere area, but I have a couple of large dogs, so for their health I'm obliged to promote my own health by walking about the nearby subdivisions. At this time of year we're enjoying the elaborate lighting displays on some of the houses. And on one recent, although regrettably unusual occasion, I realized that I could solve some domestic scheduling issues by dropping off my car for servicing then walking to my chiropractic appointment then walking home. It worked, too! So to some extent it's more a problem that one gets out of the habit of walking.)

Old 12-02-2010, 08:37 PM

6 posts, read 11,787 times
East Cobb is a nice family-friendly community, the residents are welcoming, the schools are pretty good, and the natural surroundings are a great asset. Here are some answers to your questions below, based on my experience:

- How diverse is it? How international? How likely are we to find international couples in this area?
There is diversity in East Cobb, but it really depends on what you are seeking. It may not be as ethnically diverse as some other parts of metro-Atlanta, yet it has been an extremely accepting community (from my experience). I am in the type of relationship you mentioned, and I know some other "international" couples who live in the area. I have lived in areas that were more diverse and less diverse than East Cobb and experienced friendly/unfriendly people in both. If you are looking for statistical information, I will try to find some for you.

- Is there a "resident prototype" that stands out?
While it is an affluent area, I would not say there is a "resident prototype" that stands out.

- Is it correct to expect schools to be full of entitled, spoiled children?
No. It is a nice blend of students from studious to spoiled.

- Regarding schools, is the emphasis on education more about over-achieving (ending up making more money in life than the Jonses' kids) or is it more of an "education for education's sake is important" approach?
In addition to a strong academic program, holistic education, parental involvement, and student success seem to be encouraged.

- Politics: any trend or mixed?
The area is largely conservative, yet largely friendly; there are some liberals as well.

This has been my experience in East Cobb, and it has been a delightful experience; others may have a different experience. I'd encourage you to get as much feedback as needed prior to relocating. Much success on your move.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:22 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,121,061 times
Quote:
Looks like you are talking about the Wheeler district.

One more thing would be whether this area has any walkability to it whatsoever.

The reason we are sort of fixated on Walton / close to Johnson Ferry is because we want at least a shred of a sense of urbanity to the place. We need to know we would be able to walk SOMEWHERE. Frankly speaking, we are more than a bit put off by Walton district's "upper class/anxious over-achievers" label, but we are very attracted to the idea of being able to walk to Johnson Ferry.

It was our understanding that all other parts of East Cobb would be completely non-walkable and you would need the car to get absolutely anywhere.

This may be incorrect though.
I haven't lived in East Cobb in a while but to me it's Atlanta's LA. Not walkable. Go everywhere by car. But then again that could be said of Cobb County and most of Atlanta anyway. Walton is one of the best or the best public school in Georgia. Wheeler's district is close but it is considerably behind Walton in SAT scores. I like using SAT scores as it is a standard among all the schools but the average can be skewed if a only the best students take it. After Walton the best in Cobb are Lassiter and Pope. Walton, Lassiter, and Pope have high SAT participation rates as well as high scores. North Fulton also has good schools as public schools go.

Old 12-03-2010, 08:08 AM

719 posts, read 1,446,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
You know, there's no doubt that East Cobb trends conservative. That's true of most upscale suburbs everywhere.
Not necessarily. It's not necessarily true in upscale areas of suburban Maryland or San Francisco, just to name a couple of examples.

In response to the OP, I would say that in general what you have in Cobb County is a deeply traditionalist area in the Georgia mold, a profile which has been heavily diluted through decades of in-migration from other regions and countries. However, even those who moved in have tended to fit a certain profile, too - in its heyday this migration consisted largely of corporate types who were rather moderate socially but in general were business oriented. Over time it's been this second group that has probably had the greatest impact in shaping Cobb County, but even now the typical profile of the county represents a kind of blending of these two tendencies.

More recently, and complicating the picture somewhat, what you've seen is a kind of Orange-county-ification of the county as the area has become more diversified socio-economically and ethnically. On the political level, this trend can be seen in the election returns from 2008, for ex., where although McCain won, he didn't win by nearly the margin one might have expected just 8 or 12 years ago (particularly given that this county has been one of the strongest Republican bastions in the country, Gingrich's stomping grounds). These changes are observable on an anecdotal level, too, as any drive along Barrett Parkway in Kennesaw or Cobb Parkway will confirm (not to mention a stroll through Town Center Mall or Cumberland Mall). This now more diversified picture is something to watch in the years to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or