U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:47 PM

12,928 posts, read 21,019,991 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by invent1 View Post
We're northeastern transplants, value education for education's sake, and are looking forward to being done with Walton and East Cobb. Be careful what you wish for.

Great schools, but geared to the top 10%.

Complete emphasis on UGA and Tech. If you want something other than that, you must figure it out yourself. You encounter bewilderment if you want something other than the state u, big football, college experience.

The students drive much nicer cars than their teachers.

As for the mandatory volunteering, some call it the Mommy Mafia. It reigns.

The "Betty" description is perfect, but it runs to Pope as well as Walton.

If you want the highest ranking HS, you get the bad with the good. And for us, we decided to work with the devil we knew, rather than the one we didn't know, so we went for the high-pressure, high-calibre HS.

Plus, we are not conservatives, and during the 2008 election had Obama signs defaced and stolen from our porch 7 times. Give me a break already.

No real diversity in background, ideaology, or thought here, so if that's what you're looking for, keep looking. Sorry. I've been here 10+ years and that's been my experience.

This is why I often recommend the Sprayberry High and Wheeler High districts and schools...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2010, 03:25 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,132,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
This is why I often recommend the Sprayberry High and Wheeler High districts and schools...
If you're going to go that route, you may as well head up to Cherokee County and go to Sequoyah, and save 15-20% on the housing and avoid the congestion of East Cobb.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
If you're going to go that route, you may as well head up to Cherokee County and go to Sequoyah, and save 15-20% on the housing and avoid the congestion of East Cobb.
South/Eastern Cherokee are very nice, Bob. And I do recommend those areas.

The Sprayberry and Wheeler areas offer great housing--at better prices than you can find in Walton--and Pope/Lassiter.

Many people like the convenience and attributes of East Cobb--and the Sprayberry and Wheeler areas (with prime East Cobb schools) are excellent alternatives.

Old 12-22-2010, 06:53 PM

54 posts, read 131,640 times
Cherokee high schools are an apples to oranges comparison with Wheeler and Lassiter. Not the same at all. There's a reason the houses are so much cheaper up there, and it's not just the commute. Plus, the real estate bubble has crushed my friends in Cherokee, whereas in this part of East Cobb our big complaint is that the homes are not appreciating the way we saw in the past. One of my friends who purchased in Cherokee in 2007 is now in an upside-down mortgage that will take a decade to reorient.

I would definitely consider Lassiter, Sprayberry, and Wheeler good alternatives. And the IB magnet program at Campbell is fantastic.

Old 01-04-2011, 11:56 AM

719 posts, read 1,447,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
I may be wrong, not having spent much time in Cherokee County, but my sense is that Cherokee for the most part falls outside what we might call the "culture" line of metro Atlanta proper, by which I mean the sphere in which you get the cultural experience of living in "metropolitan America". In other words, it's the progressive and affluent metro Atlanta that's probably in many respects not so entirely different than life in other affluent metropolitan areas of the country, say the suburbs in the ring around Chicago, or Philadelphia, or Washington DC. Somehow to me Cherokee - and again I could be wrong and there may be pockets now where this is not true - just doesn't have that critical mass yet, and the result is that this will have real implications for your child if you choose to grow up there. Consider the difference, in terms of outlook, tastes, their view of the world, between a child that grows up and attends high school near Decatur around Emory U, with all that area has to offer, and one who grows up in your average Cherokee County subdivision. The difference would likely be considerable. I would say that Cobb County (at least East Cobb) is closer to the experience you would get in many affluent in-town Atlanta areas than it is to Cherokee, which strikes me as much closer in ethos to rural Georgia and even other semi-rural areas of the South.

Last edited by WilliamM; 01-04-2011 at 12:05 PM..

Old 01-04-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
I may be wrong, not having spent much time in Cherokee County, but my sense is that Cherokee for the most part falls outside what we might call the "culture" line of metro Atlanta proper, by which I mean the sphere in which you get the cultural experience of living in "metropolitan America". In other words, it's the progressive and affluent metro Atlanta that's probably in many respects not so entirely different than life in other affluent metropolitan areas of the country, say the suburbs in the ring around Chicago, or Philadelphia, or Washington DC. Somehow to me Cherokee - and again I could be wrong and there may be pockets now where this is not true - just doesn't have that critical mass yet, and the result is that this will have real implications for your child if you choose to grow up there. Consider the difference, in terms of outlook, tastes, their view of the world, between a child that grows up and attends high school near Decatur around Emory U, with all that area has to offer, and one who grows up in your average Cherokee County subdivision. The difference would likely be considerable. I would say that Cobb County (at least East Cobb) is closer to the experience you would get in many affluent in-town Atlanta areas than it is to Cherokee, which strikes me as much closer in ethos to rural Georgia and even other semi-rural areas of the South.
Cherokee County (especially the south and the east) are definitely within the cultural line of Metro Atlanta Proper. Totally in the sphere of influence of "Metropolitan America."

You should travel up and through there sometime. You will probably be surprised.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:27 PM

719 posts, read 1,447,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Cherokee County (especially the south and the east) are definitely within the cultural line of Metro Atlanta Proper. Totally in the sphere of influence of "Metropolitan America."

You should travel up and through there sometime. You will probably be surprised.
You may be right. With the explosion of growth of the metro area, it's possible that what we think of as "metro Atlanta" - generally optimistic and progressive, less of a narrow outlook due to exposure to people from lots of different places, a slight dilution in regional characteristics due to that exposure and intermingling of people - expands further out than I realize. If that's the case, I'm glad to hear it.

Old 01-04-2011, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
You may be right. With the explosion of growth of the metro area, it's possible that what we think of as "metro Atlanta" - generally optimistic and progressive, less of a narrow outlook due to exposure to people from lots of different places, a slight dilution in regional characteristics due to that exposure and intermingling of people - expands further out than I realize. If that's the case, I'm glad to hear it.
Towne Lake, Bridge Mill, areas along East Cherokee Drive, Arnold Mill Road, and Mountain Road, etc...very East Cobb/North Fulton-esque.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:58 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,953,097 times
I suspect it depends which part of Cherokee County you're in. Doubtless aries4118 is correct about the areas of newer housing in the southern part of the county being East Cobb/North Fulton-esque. On the other hand, we took a drive up the 575 on a summer Sunday afternoon last year, for something to do, and stopped for ice cream at a Dairy Queen in Canton. All the other patrons in the lineup were ... wow, definitely very culturally different from us. Their accents, content of their conversation (not entirely easy to follow due to the accents), dress, transportation ... so not cosmopolitan-metropolitan USA.

I'm absolutely not saying here that I disapprove or feel uncomfortable about the traditional southern rural or semi-rural population being themselves and living where they've long lived. That would be very wrong, and horrid. If anyone was out of place at the DQ, it was clearly us, not the other patrons. But given this relatively recent experience, I think WilliamM's post likely still applies to some parts of Cherokee.

Old 01-04-2011, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
I suspect it depends which part of Cherokee County you're in. Doubtless aries4118 is correct about the areas of newer housing in the southern part of the county being East Cobb/North Fulton-esque. On the other hand, we took a drive up the 575 on a summer Sunday afternoon last year, for something to do, and stopped for ice cream at a Dairy Queen in Canton. All the other patrons in the lineup were ... wow, definitely very culturally different from us. Their accents, content of their conversation (not entirely easy to follow due to the accents), dress, transportation ... so not cosmopolitan-metropolitan USA.

I'm absolutely not saying here that I disapprove or feel uncomfortable about the traditional southern rural or semi-rural population being themselves and living where they've long lived. That would be very wrong, and horrid. If anyone was out of place at the DQ, it was clearly us, not the other patrons. But given this relatively recent experience, I think WilliamM's post likely still applies to some parts of Cherokee.

Once you go north of Holly Springs and Hickory Flat (except for the Macedonia/Woodmont Area) things are very different in Cherokee County.

To me, Canton proper (not the entire address area--which is huge and goes very far south and east!) still feels like a North Georgia mountain town--similar to a Jasper or an Ellijay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or