U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 08:26 PM

37 posts, read 85,800 times

Advertisements

Marietta High School has an IB program. There are people outside of the City of Marietta school district who actually pay to send their kids there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 AM

115 posts, read 368,364 times
To the OP, I agree with Magny, Marietta City (not unincorporated Cobb, search for Marietta High School home listings) is worth a real look. It will have more of the diversity and walkability you crave. Commute wise it is a better bet than Roswell, etc. as well.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:48 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,271,622 times
Top schools, both public and private (based on my experience with five children and four states), usually are in areas with workaholic fathers, Volunteeristas, high achieving types. It is what it is. Parents start worrying about college admissions in Kindergarten.

For some families and children it works and for others not so much. Really look at yourselves, kids and your core values. Check out the schools (one look at a high school student parking lot can be very telling). Drive around the various neighborhoods. Look at where you would be shopping, dining out, etc. I also checked town websites to get a feel for what it offered.

After looking at East and West Cobb as well as Sandy Springs, Buckhead, Milton, and Alpharetta, we moved to Roswell and love it.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:45 PM

12,919 posts, read 21,003,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Volunteeristas...
Love it.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:57 PM

1,154 posts, read 2,271,622 times
Thanks- I just made it up, although it might make for a good coffee mug with the slogan, "Just say No!"

Old 01-05-2011, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Thanks- I just made it up, although it might make for a good coffee mug with the slogan, "Just say No!"

Old 01-11-2011, 04:15 PM

326 posts, read 704,569 times
the same as west cobb.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweetybird11208 View Post
the same as west cobb.

Y'all wish.

Old 01-11-2011, 04:42 PM

2,206 posts, read 5,950,715 times
Hah!

Old 04-15-2011, 12:50 PM

13 posts, read 24,895 times
Oh goodness. My East Cobb experience is so much differed than the previous posters that I feel I must reply.

I love East Cobb. My neighborhood is very diverse. Most of my friends are liberal. Some fiscal conservatives but all socially liberal.

People walk all over East Cobb. It was one of the first things I noticed when I moved here 6 years ago. It may not be convenient to walk everywhere, to walk to buy your groceries, but there is a LOT of walking going on.

We are about 1 1/2 miles from target, grocery stores, our elementary school, the library, the aquatic center, the art center and much more. We could walk...but we are usually going other places too so walking isn't always the best option.

The moms and kids I know in East Cobb are not the stuck up, keep up with joneses types at all. I moved here from Dallas, TX and it was much more about appearances there than it is here. I found East Cobb to be a breath of fresh air compared to Dallas.

We moved here because of the schools and because of the number of adults who had completed college and graduate school. I couldn't be happier with our choice.

Campbell High School has an IB program. I know kids from East Cobb who
attend.

I love Roswell too but I find there to be more "Trophy Wife" types there. I feel it can be a little more stuck up, but that's just me. Bother areas are lovely. Both areas are suburbs. You arent going to get an urban feel or a planned community feel from either. Roswell has higher taxes. Both have lovely parks, we use them all. There are a few areas in Roswell where you could walk to
"downtown". There is a decent farmers market on Saturday (also a nice one in Marietta if you chose the East Cobb route). If you try to get within walking distance of Roswell "downtown" you will have limited housing choices.

It sounds like you are looking for a place like Decatur, it don't think you will find that out this way. But both East Cobb and Roswell are great places to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or