U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 10-18-2011, 07:20 AM
 
Location: Atlanta ,GA
9,086 posts, read 12,923,215 times
Reputation: 2908

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwkimbro View Post
Lets not turn this into another little ATL vs CLT thing. They have a very nice mid-large size city.

Months back I had a few rather constructive points in the Charlotte forum on this issue that I think they need to learn from.

There were several news stories ran up there that showed their boosters were being a bit overzealous with estimates trying to sell Charlotte to museums. The stand out different between ATL and CLT isn't just its size. ATL has put alot of money and infrastructure (private and public) into the convention/trade/hospitality industry. Museums flourish here, because of the constant amount of travelers here...not just our local population. The main thing Charlotte will need to learn moving forward is the next potential investor in that industry will be much more skeptical of Charlotte's numbers and their boosters. By inflating the numbers it isn't that they got something, but they didn't get something of the right size to help set the stage for creating activity center that might draw people in and attract the next thing. Instead it gives them a small bruise to their reputation in that industry when they actually have nice city.

As far as the Nascar HOF is concerned.... The large capital investment has been made. There isn't much reason to take the loss and rebuild somewhere else. Charlotte will grow and so will the HOF... they just might need to cut down on their operations costs in the near future. In a more dire situation they could downsize the museum and share the space with a second smaller museum that might help draw different demographics.
Personally,I think it will shut down within 5 years.They wont move it to Atlanta because it will never get the incentives they originally were to offer prior.Public sentiment would kill anyone political career for even suggesting it.

HOF will probably like you say me scaled down and do a shared space thing as you mentioned.

This was menetioned in the article comments to the Observer:
Quote:
I am stunned - that it was only 35%. The place oughta be called NASCAR's Hall of Lies. Those in Atlanta who tried to get the museum there must be laughing their heads off at Charlotte. Putting the museum here was one of the dumbest things the France Family has ever done in the history of the organization.
I do believe this is a learning lesson for Charlotte.You "cant just build it and they will come"I said this way back in the thread where the cities had not been chosen yet.Its the same reason the College Football Hall of Fame is moving from IN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-18-2011, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,940 posts, read 3,863,962 times
Reputation: 1247
I knew from day 1 this would happen, good for Charlotte, that bastion of tourism...........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 08:46 AM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 6,433,956 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Why not...?
I don't think its a good long term investment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM
 
12,988 posts, read 21,124,603 times
Reputation: 4142
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
I don't think its a good long term investment

I could see your point--

but I do think it could potentially succeed here--especially with everything else in Downtown.


The College Football Hall of Fame and The NASCAR Hall of Fame would complement each other very well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 03:21 PM
 
28,023 posts, read 25,108,538 times
Reputation: 16667
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
We dont want it
So why did you post a link to a story that has nothing to do with Atlanta?

If Time Warner winds up hiring less than the 500 they announced for the economic development deal Atlanta lost to Tampa, will you also update that thread?

What's the point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 03:23 PM
 
28,023 posts, read 25,108,538 times
Reputation: 16667
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I do believe this is a learning lesson for Charlotte.You "cant just build it and they will come"I said this way back in the thread where the cities had not been chosen yet.Its the same reason the College Football Hall of Fame is moving from IN.
It was just built in the wrong location. Should have been out near the speedway since it's such a niche museum; it needs to be closer to the fan base. Other new venues in uptown Charlotte--the art museums, performing arts center, African American cultural center--are doing just fine and are actually exceeding expectations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 04:41 PM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,940 posts, read 3,863,962 times
Reputation: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
It was just built in the wrong location. Should have been out near the speedway since it's such a niche museum; it needs to be closer to the fan base. Other new venues in uptown Charlotte--the art museums, performing arts center, African American cultural center--are doing just fine and are actually exceeding expectations.
It is really boring when you Charlotteans try to make Charlotte something it is not, and it is not a tourist destination..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 04:48 PM
 
28,023 posts, read 25,108,538 times
Reputation: 16667
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
It is really boring when you Charlotteans try to make Charlotte something it is not, and it is not a tourist destination..
LOL, I am a Georgia resident. And show me where I ever said Charlotte was a tourist destination.

A city doesn't have to be a tourist destination for one particular venue to do well. Columbia, SC's zoo draws more people than Atlanta's, but that doesn't mean that Columbia is necessarily a tourist destination--certainly not larger than Atlanta.

You need a baptism in logic and reason. And spare me your copious uses of the term "delusional" and the smiley. It's so old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Virginia Highland, GA
1,940 posts, read 3,863,962 times
Reputation: 1247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
LOL, I am a Georgia resident. And show me where I ever said Charlotte was a tourist destination.

A city doesn't have to be a tourist destination for one particular venue to do well. Columbia, SC's zoo draws more people than Atlanta's, but that doesn't mean that Columbia is necessarily a tourist destination--certainly not larger than Atlanta.

You need a baptism in logic and reason. And spare me your copious uses of the term "delusional" and the smiley. It's so old.
Well you have a Charlotte love affair for some odd reason. Oh, I am sure Atlantans have said "I can't wait to go to a museum in Charlotte". That was a 2008/09 figure for Riverbanks.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2011, 05:06 PM
 
28,023 posts, read 25,108,538 times
Reputation: 16667
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Well you have a Charlotte love affair for some odd reason. Oh, I am sure Atlantans have said "I can't wait to go to a museum in Charlotte". That was a 2008/09 figure for Riverbanks.....
Here's an updated figure. Same result: Riverbanks Zoo and Garden : Media Center : Media Releases

Again, a place doesn't have to be a hotbed of tourism to have successful venues. Not sure why you're having such difficulty comprehending that...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top