U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 10:30 AM

7,848 posts, read 17,860,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by qc dreamin View Post
do u have a personal vendetta against me? damn right I am a cheerleader for charlotte and north carolina as u should be for atlanta! I am thirty and married with two children please don't attack me childishly. if u disagree with me do it intelligently. congratulations u live in atlanta. I am sorry that will always be the high point of your life.
It's even funnier when you're a cheerleader with too much spirit and don't know it! It's great to be proud, but people don't appreciate your going overboard with it. Believe me, this isn't just my opinion. When the members from your city feel the same way, it's probably time to look inward. You don't do Charlotte any favors with your unnecessarily insecure comments.

I haven't been on this site for many months until very recently, and I'm quite I haven't responded to any of your posts...but it's awfully arrogant of you to believe you're that important.

Last edited by DeaconJ; 04-30-2011 at 10:40 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 10:39 AM

1,037 posts, read 1,692,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
How exactly does Charlotte "deserve" this?

I'm really beginning to think you had some sort of extremely traumatic experience there that has caused to have an irrational hatred of the city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It's even funnier when you're a cheerleader with too much spirit and don't know it! It's great to be proud, but people don't appreciate your going overboard with it. Believe me, this isn't just my opinion. When the members from your city feel the same way, it's probably time to look inward.

I haven't been on this site for months until very recently, and I'm quite I haven't responded to any of your posts...but it's awfully arrogant of you to put that much value on yourself.
I have yet to see a native of charlotte tell me I think too much of the city. I am an adult with my own opinions and observations. now what I have observed in this very thread is atl natives getting on other atl natives for trashing charlotte..ie.. ajaam, brent 6969,you! by the way I have said countless times that atl is my second fav city, why don't u show charlotte some love or should I invite nyc,chi-town, h-town residents in this thread to put u in your place again!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:41 AM

I did not mean to include u ahkenaton! sorry!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:44 AM

Quote:
I have yet to see a native of charlotte tell me I think too much of the city. I am an adult with my own opinions and observations. now what I have observed in this very thread is atl natives getting on other atl natives for trashing charlotte..ie.. ajaam, brent 6969,you! by the way I have said countless times that atl is my second fav city, why don't u show charlotte some love or should I invite nyc,chi-town, h-town residents in this thread to put u in your place again!
Sweetie...it's not Charlotte that's the problem. If you are truly 30 years old, try acting like it. You do not come across that way in your postings.

Old 04-30-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Sweetie...it's not Charlotte that's the problem. If you are truly 30 years old, try acting like it. You do not come across that way in your postings.
actually its u who doesn't ask their age..I posted an observation and backed it up eith facts and u attacked me for it.. yes that's very mature

Old 04-30-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
actually its u who doesn't ask their age..I posted an observation and backed it up eith facts and u attacked me for it.. yes that's very mature
Cheerleader with too much spirit...

There is no need to accuse someone here of immaturity...anyone can read the commentary and easily identify the obvious.

You came into the Atlanta threads and put us in our place, didn't you? LOL! You may be taking all of this a little too seriously.

Old 04-30-2011, 08:36 PM

3,390 posts, read 2,974,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
Do you really think that when they conceptualized the idea for this museum that their target market were drivers and industry people?You have to have a broad fan base.Charlotte just does not attract tourism like Atlanta.

Im not sure that a NASCAR Museum would work ANYWHERE but one thing for sure is if I were to open an attraction I want it where the market would is more likely to come.

What if they had put the Coca-Cola museum in NYC?People would be furious here in the ATL! Yet they could not argue that people would not visit it in NYC.In fact probably more.The difference is between Coke and Nascar:
1)The PRODUCT.People know Coke worldwide.
2)Its also the image of Coke.Its positive and associated with good things
3)Location.Lets face it Charlotte is not a tourist mecca outside of maybe N.C. and S.C.Its like the same thing thats going on with the Georgia Music HOF in Macon Georgia.Its a great venue in the home of where music in the state of Georgia is more prominent.Yet poor attendance after over a decade is forcing them to think of other locations.
4)Sure Nashville has the Country Music Hall of Fame.But it also has the record industry to support it.People actually come to Nashville to get discovered in country music.It is they really the ONLY place you can go to be legitimized as a Country singer.
You dont HAVE to go to Charlotte to be a NASCAR driver.You can develop your career anywhere there is a track and you have the money and support.When people say Nashville,you think of Country music.
Charlotte I think of Bank of America.
Some of you might not be that old but I remember downtown Atlanta in the 1970s and 1980s...dead...dead...dead! After I visited there in the early 1980s, I vowed never to visit the place again! After all, being located in NC, many more interesting cities up I-95 North (which is where the majority of people from NC relocated for work: DC, NY, etc).

Didn't go back to Atlanta until the early 90s...things were getting better, and now with the Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, expansion of Buckhead, Midtown and post Olympic growth... multi-folds better.

Charlotte's just starting out, and much like Atlanta, they'll have to fabricate a reason to go there. Ultimately, it'll find it's footing (it has to a certain extent) and broaden their offerings (much to the chagrin of some).

For the most part, Atlantans have relished in the fact of being the "it" city in the South for a long time. It now has to share the spotlight with other prosperous Southern metros, not-easy-to-do when you feel superior (almost to a brattish sense). Especially to a smaller, not-so-well known city like Charlotte outside the nascar and banking circuit. 20+ years ago, neither NC or Tenn had professional sports.

The NHOF will do fine in the long run, it opened post the Great Recession with NASCAR popularity down due to a displeased fan-base. Charlotte WILL build multiple attractions downtown, expand and compete heavily in the toursim industry. Why not a Banking Museum or First-in-Flight museum? If the you can make a soda pop museum interesting, surely there are other opportunities (really had my doubts about visiting the World of Coke), attended and thought it was worthwhile; but definitely a one-and-done event and probably will never be a repeat visitor.

No, budding NASCAR drivers (as with country music singers) don't need to launch careers in the respective towns of Charlotte or Nashville, but eventually you'll need to become extremely intimate with either to propel one's career. In the case of Nascar, the business is much larger than "drivers"; there are mechanics, sales force, operations, motorsports vendors (speed channel), etc. Based on your response, you're clueless as to the magnitude of the business, tourist impact, and it's entrenchment in the greater Charlotte/NC region. The Nascar fan base is not relegated to a often described stereotype.

Will Charlotte broaden it's tourist attraction venues? Absolutely, if Atlanta can, surely Charlotte will.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Some of you might not be that old but I remember downtown Atlanta in the 1970s and 1980s...dead...dead...dead! After I visited there in the early 1980s, I vowed never to visit the place again! After all, being located in NC, many more interesting cities up I-95 North (which is where the majority of people from NC relocated for work: DC, NY, etc).

Didn't go back to Atlanta until the early 90s...things were getting better, and now with the Aquarium, World of Coke, CNN Center, expansion of Buckhead, Midtown and post Olympic growth... multi-folds better.

Charlotte's just starting out, and much like Atlanta, they'll have to fabricate a reason to go there. Ultimately, it'll find it's footing (it has to a certain extent) and broaden their offerings (much to the chagrin of some).

For the most part, Atlantans have relished in the fact of being the "it" city in the South for a long time. It now has to share the spotlight with other prosperous Southern metros, not-easy-to-do when you feel superior (almost to a brattish sense). Especially to a smaller, not-so-well known city like Charlotte outside the nascar and banking circuit. 20+ years ago, neither NC or Tenn had professional sports.

The NHOF will do fine in the long run, it opened post the Great Recession with NASCAR popularity down due to a displeased fan-base. Charlotte WILL build multiple attractions downtown, expand and compete heavily in the toursim industry. Why not a Banking Museum or First-in-Flight museum? If the you can make a soda pop museum interesting, surely there are other opportunities (really had my doubts about visiting the World of Coke), attended and thought it was worthwhile; but definitely a one-and-done event and probably will never be a repeat visitor.

No, budding NASCAR drivers (as with country music singers) don't need to launch careers in the respective towns of Charlotte or Nashville, but eventually you'll need to become extremely intimate with either to propel one's career. In the case of Nascar, the business is much larger than "drivers"; there are mechanics, sales force, operations, motorsports vendors (speed channel), etc. Based on your response, you're clueless as to the magnitude of the business, tourist impact, and it's entrenchment in the greater Charlotte/NC region. The Nascar fan base is not relegated to a often described stereotype.

Will Charlotte broaden it's tourist attraction venues? Absolutely, if Atlanta can, surely Charlotte will.
This is very true about downtown Atlanta...the reopening of Underground in 1989 really livened up the area with tourists and locals alike. Uptown Charlotte has much more going for it than downtown Atlanta did during the 80s, and now with the DNC coming, there will be more and more national attention on the city.

I'm glad that the NASCAR HOF chose Charlotte...it was a much better fit than Atlanta and I think it will end up doing well there. It opened in the midst of economic misery, so no one should be surprised that it didn't meet expectations...but that fact should not reflect poorly on NASCAR or Charlotte. Things will change for the better in the near future.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:13 PM

28,215 posts, read 24,815,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Some of you might not be that old but I remember downtown Atlanta in the 1970s and 1980s...dead...dead...dead!
That's not true at all!

The 1970s and 80s were Downtown Atlanta's high water mark. A tremendous building boom occurred during those years and much of what we now think of as downtown was built during those years. That would include Peachtree Center, 191, Georgia Pacific, major government buildings, the BOA tower, and many others. Major hotels like the Ritz Carlton, the Omni, the Hilton, the Peachtree Plaza, the Marriott were built in that era. The city's two largest department stores and much other high end retail were located downtown and they were thriving. Most of the city's largest legal, accounting, brokerage, insurance and banking firms were downtown. The streets were filled with people. Big league sports venues were located downtown. The largest and most sophisticated mass transit system in the South was constructed downtown during the 70s and 80s.

It was truly a phenomenal time to be in downtown Atlanta and nothing has come close to equaling it before or since.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
That's not true at all!

The 1970s and 80s were Downtown Atlanta's high water mark. A tremendous building boom occurred during those years and much of what we now think of as downtown was built during those years. That would include Peachtree Center, 191, Georgia Pacific, major government buildings, the BOA tower, and many others. Major hotels like the Ritz Carlton, the Omni, the Hilton, the Peachtree Plaza, the Marriott were built in that era. The city's two largest department stores and much other high end retail were located downtown and they were thriving. Most of the city's largest legal, accounting, brokerage, insurance and banking firms were downtown. The streets were filled with people. Big league sports venues were located downtown. The largest and most sophisticated mass transit system in the South was constructed downtown during the 70s and 80s.

It was truly a phenomenal time to be in downtown Atlanta and nothing has come close to equaling it before or since.
A lot was certainly done to attract people back to downtown Atlanta, I'm just not sure how well it worked. There were definitely some landmark projects during the 70s and 80s, but there was an overwhelming perception of crime (even moreso than there is now) that kept people away. I see a more lively downtown today than during the 80s...70s, well, I'm not that old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta