Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,841,679 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Absoultley not. I've said several times in this thread that you Atlanta people are falsely comparing Charlotte to larger cities, namely Atlanta, rather you realize you're doing it or not. So I don't know what you mean by "up until now". But the point has been made, and you guys know it. These claims by you guys of charlotte "lacking" something, etc., are baseless, because when you compare us to our peers you'll see that's not the case. Its ridculous to expect a city like Charlotte to be like another one that is four times its size. Again, myself and several other Charlotte posters have been saying that for over a year now to you Atl people.
Anytime Charlotte gets something new the first thing they do is compare it to Atlanta and thats a fact. Then thats when we come in to let you know its not on whatever level and your lacking this or that. Then you guys will say something like for a city its size etc.. Ive never seen it the other way around. We only come in when Atlanta is mentioned.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 08:13 AM

8,180 posts, read 14,869,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Anytime Charlotte gets something new the first thing they do is compare it to Atlanta and thats a fact. Then thats when we come in to let you know its not on whatever level and your lacking this or that. Then you guys will say something like for a city its size etc.. Ive never seen it the other way around. We only come in when Atlanta is mentioned.
But the thing is that from the perspective of Charlotte, it's already implied that any sort of comparison with Atlanta is scaled down appropriately due to the size difference. There doesn't have to be any mention of "for a city its size" because that's already understood. There isn't any changing of the tune involved; when "for a city its size" is explicitly mentioned, it's for the benefit of those who didn't seem to know that already.

And to be fair, as far as the media is concerned, the ATL/CLT comparisons mostly come from the AJC and not the Observer which I find interesting. I know someone said that one person who writes some of these articles for the AJC is originally from Charlotte, but it's not like the entire editorial staff that approves the stories that make it to press is from Charlotte. Face it, the comparisons come on both sides and that makes sense since Charlotte has the benefit of learning from Atlanta's mistakes and implementing some things better than Atlanta has because of that.

Last edited by Akhenaton06; 05-10-2011 at 08:23 AM..

Old 05-10-2011, 08:45 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
But the thing is that from the perspective of Charlotte, it's already implied that any sort of comparison with Atlanta is scaled down appropriately due to the size difference. There doesn't have to be any mention of "for a city its size" because that's already understood. There isn't any changing of the tune involved; when "for a city its size" is explicitly mentioned, it's for the benefit of those who didn't seem to know that already.

And to be fair, as far as the media is concerned, the ATL/CLT comparisons mostly come from the AJC and not the Observer which I find interesting. I know someone said that one person who writes some of these articles for the AJC is originally from Charlotte, but it's not like the entire editorial staff that approves the stories that make it to press is from Charlotte. Face it, the comparisons come on both sides and that makes sense since Charlotte has the benefit of learning from Atlanta's mistakes and implementing some things better than Atlanta has because of that.
What he said ^^^^^^

And it is true, all these little debates have started because of articles that have been published by Atlanta's media, which btw, have come after all you guys claimed last year that "nobody in Atlanta had Charlotte on its radar". Seems every other week there's some mention of Charlotte from a publication in Atlanta.

Old 05-10-2011, 08:52 AM

3,709 posts, read 5,987,701 times
Maybe the comparisons come because the two cities are so similar? Charlotte is a lot like a "mini-Atlanta"--piedmont cities with no navigable river access, rapid growth, air travel/finance industries, ability to expand in any direction without limit, and hallmarks of the "new south". New Orleans, Birmingham, and Nashville aren't like that at all.

I think comparing the two is interesting. But I don't expect Charlotte to have the same level of whatever we have. It's a smaller city. But growing.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:05 AM

2,742 posts, read 6,752,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Maybe the comparisons come because the two cities are so similar? Charlotte is a lot like a "mini-Atlanta"--piedmont cities with no navigable river access, rapid growth, air travel/finance industries, ability to expand in any direction without limit, and hallmarks of the "new south". New Orleans, Birmingham, and Nashville aren't like that at all.

I think comparing the two is interesting. But I don't expect Charlotte to have the same level of whatever we have. It's a smaller city. But growing.
And your view would be the minority. The typical repetitive response from several of these Atl posters is going to be, “Charlotte is doing ok, but it’s just not there yet”. And the question I’ve been posing is, where is “there”? They don’t realize it, or don’t want to admit it, but the “there” they speak of is simply that the city is not large enough for their liking. Because when you compare Charlotte to other cities its size it’s really a standout city, overall it’s not lacking at all and is seen as a leader among its peers. It is a ridiculous argument because Charlotte has never, nor will it ever in our lifetimes, be of comparable size to Atlanta.

Old 10-16-2011, 03:18 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
NASCAR Hall Of Fame attendance falls 35% | WCNC.com Charlotte

Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post

Let's move it to Atlanta...

Old 10-16-2011, 06:33 PM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Let's move it to Atlanta...
We dont want it

Old 10-16-2011, 07:01 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
We dont want it

Why not...?

Old 10-17-2011, 06:42 PM

7,582 posts, read 10,772,636 times
Lets not turn this into another little ATL vs CLT thing. They have a very nice mid-large size city.

Months back I had a few rather constructive points in the Charlotte forum on this issue that I think they need to learn from.

There were several news stories ran up there that showed their boosters were being a bit overzealous with estimates trying to sell Charlotte to museums. The stand out different between ATL and CLT isn't just its size. ATL has put alot of money and infrastructure (private and public) into the convention/trade/hospitality industry. Museums flourish here, because of the constant amount of travelers here...not just our local population. The main thing Charlotte will need to learn moving forward is the next potential investor in that industry will be much more skeptical of Charlotte's numbers and their boosters. By inflating the numbers it isn't that they got something, but they didn't get something of the right size to help set the stage for creating activity center that might draw people in and attract the next thing. Instead it gives them a small bruise to their reputation in that industry when they actually have nice city.

As far as the Nascar HOF is concerned.... The large capital investment has been made. There isn't much reason to take the loss and rebuild somewhere else. Charlotte will grow and so will the HOF... they just might need to cut down on their operations costs in the near future. In a more dire situation they could downsize the museum and share the space with a second smaller museum that might help draw different demographics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta