U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 11:11 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,413,084 times

Advertisements

Thank God this wasn't built here in Atlanta

Charlotte needs closer eye on NASCAR hall | www.thatsracin.com

It was built, and they aren't coming. That, in a nutshell, is the problem facing Charlotte's NASCAR Hall of Fame. Officials from the hall, NASCAR and the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority briefed Charlotte City Council last week on the situation. The reception they got was not what you'd call warm and fuzzy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2010, 11:33 AM

12,940 posts, read 21,025,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Thank God this wasn't built here in Atlanta

Charlotte needs closer eye on NASCAR hall | www.thatsracin.com

It was built, and they aren't coming. That, in a nutshell, is the problem facing Charlotte's NASCAR Hall of Fame. Officials from the hall, NASCAR and the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority briefed Charlotte City Council last week on the situation. The reception they got was not what you'd call warm and fuzzy.
But remember, if it was built in Atlanta, the NASCAR HoF situation might have been different.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:37 AM

248 posts, read 544,245 times
Interesting article. Yeah -- looks like we might have dodged a bullet by losing the HOF. Aries makes a good point in that there's no guarantee that it would be as poorly attended in Atlanta as in Charlotte. Nonetheless, it looks pretty clear that interest in attending this attraction was overestimated.

I liked this part of the article:

Quote:
"Though NASCAR hall attendance lags, uptown's new cultural venues - the Gantt Center and the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art - have topped their visitorship projections. So has a newly renovated Discovery Place science museum. Lesson? Maybe sports aren't the be-all and end-all for a healthy uptown."
I don't mean to downplay the validity of sports museums, but it speaks well for culture & economy in Charlotte that these other venues are thriving even if the NASCAR HOF isn't.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:40 PM

9,124 posts, read 32,136,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
But remember, if it was built in Atlanta, the NASCAR HoF situation might have been different.
Doubtful- Charlotte is truly THE home of NASCAR- 90% of the racers have their shops there, which generate a large volume of visitors, and even that couldn't draw decent crowds to the HOF. The only thing NASCAR-ish about Atlanta is the two races they hold here every year- the rest of the year it's just something to watch on TV if you're bored.

The problem with the HOF isn't the location- it's the content. Most of the people who are into NASCAR now are into it for the current drivers, cars and technology- they don't want to spend time looking at 30-50 year old cars, and stories about drivers they've never heard of.

Old 12-02-2010, 12:59 PM

10 posts, read 17,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
The problem with the HOF isn't the location- it's the content. Most of the people who are into NASCAR now are into it for the current drivers, cars and technology- they don't want to spend time looking at 30-50 year old cars, and stories about drivers they've never heard of.
Agree - I am one of those... And moving from CLT no more than six months ago - it is in a great spot.

Keep in mind that attedance is down I think ~26% since '06 on NASCAR too. They have an issue from the TV seat too...

Old 12-02-2010, 01:38 PM
JPD

11,882 posts, read 14,494,145 times
I guess the bump in popularity NASCAR got from Ricky Bobby has worn off.

Old 12-03-2010, 09:12 PM

1,370 posts, read 1,574,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobKovacs View Post
Doubtful- Charlotte is truly THE home of NASCAR- 90% of the racers have their shops there, which generate a large volume of visitors, and even that couldn't draw decent crowds to the HOF. The only thing NASCAR-ish about Atlanta is the two races they hold here every year- the rest of the year it's just something to watch on TV if you're bored.

I disagree. For one thing, Atlanta attracts many more of those from around the Southeast that might be interested in Nascar than Charlotte does, with sporting events and the convention industry. I also think that the Atlanta proposal was better in that it leaned more towards being an attraction than a museum. That being said, I am glad is was not built here for a number reasons.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:40 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,783,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reet4587 View Post
Interesting article. Yeah -- looks like we might have dodged a bullet by losing the HOF. Aries makes a good point in that there's no guarantee that it would be as poorly attended in Atlanta as in Charlotte. Nonetheless, it looks pretty clear that interest in attending this attraction was overestimated.

I liked this part of the article:
"Though NASCAR hall attendance lags, uptown's new cultural venues - the Gantt Center and the Bechtler Museum of Modern Art - have topped their visitorship projections. So has a newly renovated Discovery Place science museum. Lesson? Maybe sports aren't the be-all and end-all for a healthy uptown."

I don't mean to downplay the validity of sports museums, but it speaks well for culture & economy in Charlotte that these other venues are thriving even if the NASCAR HOF isn't.
I totally agree about the museum part of your post. They sound fantastic, and I am very proud of Charlotte for what they have done with these quality additions to Uptown. I personally would love to go check them out.

While I am also glad we didn't snag the HOF, people need to quit hating on Charlotte. She is our little sister, and I wish nothing but the best for her. As the region prospers, we all reap the benefits.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:50 AM

22,974 posts, read 57,302,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post

While I am also glad we didn't snag the HOF, people need to quit hating on Charlotte. She is our little sister, and I wish nothing but the best for her. As the region prospers, we all reap the benefits.
Great post.

Old 12-04-2010, 02:52 AM

7,732 posts, read 11,783,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
Great post.
Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta