Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 05:29 PM

528 posts, read 1,284,235 times

Advertisements

young children. One is in first grade here, the other won't be in kindergarten until 2012 (so not a big issue for her) but I don't want to move my first grader out of school in NY to start school in GA in September next year at one elementary school and then move her into another elementary school once we finally find a house. If we rent, it would only be because we could not find a house we like in time for school to start in the district we want.

We are looking at Forsyth or North Fulton school districts and we definitely need to check out the commute first. My husband would be down there for six months before we come down and buy a house so he could certainly spend those six months driving around, checking commutes and asking around. I will be able to come down at least three times to look around.

It's hard to know what to do but I feel like a gated golf community is going to be ok as far as value goes.

BTW, my husband is from Lewiston and we lived in Youngstown and commuted to Depew for a long time so a 45 minute drive was normal for him. We don't want to do that if we don't have to but he will.

Any other advice is appreciated. WE do have a good realtor (our friend used her who just moved down there from here too) so I feel like she is helping to guide us as much as she is allowed. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2010, 04:36 PM

3 posts, read 3,886 times
You have to do the best thing for your family! My daughter is two years old so I have a few years to make my big move, lol!

It is great that your husband will be here for six months. He can learn the area and hear perspectives from other Atlantans on the best areas to live. Good Luck!

Old 12-15-2010, 05:24 PM

968 posts, read 2,618,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by capoeira View Post
The key to an easy life in the suburban Atlanta metro is to live close to your workplace.
Truer words have never been spoken. When I first moved to Atlanta, I spent my first few years on the road and it made the experience terrible. Choosing school systems is so important but do not negate the "quality of life" issue which can be extremely degraded by unnecessary, horrendous commutes.

Old 12-15-2010, 07:56 PM

357 posts, read 783,545 times
^so true. Most schools in metro atlanta are good. so TRY to limit your commute as best you can. It can really have an impact on your life. Trust me... I see it on my sister's face.

Old 05-24-2011, 11:35 AM

17 posts, read 52,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild80 View Post
Hello LivinginBuffalo,

I am from the WNY area too (Niagara Falls). I have been down in ATL for six years now. I would recommend renting for at least one year before narrowing your search. I regret settling in my current location. You have to live here to understand traffic patterns and various community attributes. In Buffalo you are used to not driving far to get to certain spots or attractions. I hate driving 30+ minutes in heavy traffic just to go to my favorites stores and/or restaurants. Atlanta is very spread out and you want to live around amenities that are important to your family.

I loved my current area on paper but once I purchased my home and lived there I was not satisfied. I wish I would have settled in another location.

As for schools... I teach here in Atlanta. Schools change quickly down in Atlanta due to neighborhoods changing. My school was once a great place with nice families. Now a lot of "hood" folk have moved in the area and the good families moved out. I can say that Gwinnett is one area experiencing this issue. Some families have moved to Hall and Forsyth counties. Alot of burbs have experienced major demographic changes in the short time that I have lived here. I would hate for you to buy a nice home and lose property value in a few years because the neighborhood went down. In Atlanta it is good to stay in neighborhoods that continue to keep value like Alpharetta and Duluth or better find up and coming locations that are projected to increase in value.

Please don't make your decision lightly or blindly!!!! If I could do it again I would rent for at least one year and educate myself on the best neighborhoods. The only way to learn to Atlanta is to live here.
Why do you regret where you settled and what area of Atlanta is it?

Anybody have any opinions about Hall County? Is it an up and coming part of ATL? Particularly Flowery Branch and FBHS? We have 2 HS aged daughters and we will be moving to ATL soon from Keller, TX (just north of Ft.Worth) and we looked at a house at Sterling on the Lake because it is BEAUTIFUL in that neighborhood. What would you say are the up and coming neighborhoods/areas projected to increase in value? Would this be one of them?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta