U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-10-2010, 04:51 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,393,579 times

Advertisements

Another zig zag from you...as if I expected anything different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
Have you been asleep for the past 2 years? Seriously.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2010, 05:04 AM

2,825 posts, read 2,393,579 times
What a gratuitous use of hyperbole. About 29,000,000 of the youth & African Americans stayed home(or go to class) like they usually do during the midterm elections and you call it a "mauling."

I would chalk it up to fickle politics & a relative lacking of a coherent thought process at the ballot box. At least that is my "perception of the reality".

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil0311 View Post
He and his party got mauled in a vote of "no confidence" this Nov which indicates that what I'm saying is not only true as a matter of fact, but also as a matter of perception to all but the hardcore left.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:24 AM

7,739 posts, read 10,027,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidSnake View Post
What a gratuitous use of hyperbole.
No..an accurate description of what took place. How else would you classify the historic and stinging defeat suffered by the Dems in Nov? Coincidence?

Quote:
About 29,000,000 of the youth & African Americans stayed home(or go to class) like they usually do during the midterm elections and you call it a "mauling."
So what? If you're too apathetic to vote once every 2 years, then you don't count. Whoever you are.

Quote:
I would chalk it up to fickle politics & a relative lacking of a coherent thought process at the ballot box. At least that is my "perception of the reality".
And I would expect no less from you. Keep fooling yourself.

Old 12-10-2010, 07:26 AM

7,739 posts, read 10,027,222 times
Quote:
Another zig zag from you...as if I expected anything different.
Nope not at all...I listed them out in my other response to RRD in this thread. You choose to ignore them and post zings at me instead.

Old 12-10-2010, 08:06 AM

1,301 posts, read 1,236,538 times
Quote:
What a gratuitous use of hyperbole. About 29,000,000 of the youth & African Americans stayed home(or go to class) like they usually do during the midterm elections and you call it a "mauling."

Sorry but what just happened on Nov 2, was one of the largest shakeups we have ever seen in ANY election. To deny that is laughable. Just do some research on the number of state house gains that the Republicans made this year. That is one huge gain that many seem to be overlooking. Especially the state legislature gains that the Republicans made in the South.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:22 PM

15,076 posts, read 9,818,281 times
Quote:
Aside from that, the only part of the media that keeps referring to President as the "angry black man" is really Fox News, Wall Street Journal, Talk Radio, & other lackeys of the wealthy & mega-corporations.
I have no problem with angry black men, so long as they are not mad at me.

I'd say Obama should go for it. Remember old Give'em Hell Harry? He was getting dumped on at least as much as Obama but he fired right back. What about Clinton and Reagan and LBJ and even Nixon? Americans love a President who's a scrapper, even if they don't agree with him. Stick it to them, man, that's what you're elected to do.

Last edited by arjay57; 12-10-2010 at 01:24 PM..

Old 12-10-2010, 01:34 PM

714 posts, read 364,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I have no problem with angry black men, so long as they are not mad at me.

I'd say Obama should go for it. Remember old Give'em Hell Harry? He was getting dumped on at least as much as Obama but he fired right back. What about Clinton and Reagan and LBJ and even Nixon? Americans love a President who's a scrapper, even if they don't agree with him. Stick it to them, man, that's what you're elected to do.

Poor Obama. It is well known that Pres Bush (the younger) received a near free pass from the press and was never the subject of even the slightest criticism

Old 12-10-2010, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Poor Obama. It is well known that Pres Bush (the younger) received a near free pass from the press and was never the subject of even the slightest criticism
It helped Bush to be perceived as a scrapper, even when he was doing some utterly dummkopf thing. Take that "Mission Accomplished" speech. Everybody knew the Iraq debacle was just beginning and that Bush would have this thrown back at him a million times. Nonetheless, people liked seeing the President land on an aircraft carrier in a flight suit, even if it was a photo op off the San Diego coast.

Think about Ronald Reagan standing at the Brandenburg Gate telling Gorbachev to tear down the wall. A defiant Bill Clinton saying, "I did not have sex with that woman!" Even Nixon battling to the end. "I am not a crook!"

How about Harry Truman telling the Japanese to give it up. "Let there be no mistake; we shall completely destroy Japan's power to make war.. If they do not now accept our terms they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth."

Forget the compromise. The President is supposed to get in there and kick arse and take names.

Old 12-10-2010, 03:40 PM

714 posts, read 364,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It helped Bush to be perceived as a scrapper, even when he was doing some utterly dummkopf thing. Take that "Mission Accomplished" speech. Everybody knew the Iraq debacle was just beginning and that Bush would have this thrown back at him a million times. Nonetheless, people liked seeing the President land on an aircraft carrier in a flight suit, even if it was a photo op off the San Diego coast.

Think about Ronald Reagan standing at the Brandenburg Gate telling Gorbachev to tear down the wall. A defiant Bill Clinton saying, "I did not have sex with that woman!" Even Nixon battling to the end. "I am not a crook!"

How about Harry Truman telling the Japanese to give it up. "Let there be no mistake; we shall completely destroy Japan's power to make war.. If they do not now accept our terms they may expect a rain of ruin from the air, the like of which has never been seen on this earth."

Forget the compromise. The President is supposed to get in there and kick arse and take names.
Now let me get this straight. You think its a shining example of presidential defiance when Bill Clinton blatantly lied his arse off to the american people about Lewisnky? Or Nixon lying about his criminal behavior is to be emulated? Wow. We have a much different view of the office of the president.

And BTW, everyone did not know the Iraq debacle was just beginning. That is just your (prejudiced) 20-20 hindsight.

The Pres cant do it by himself. If he hasnt got the backing of his party and congresspeople, he is impotent. Given what happened in November and his very low approval ratings, he is wise not to double down on the highly unpopular leftist agenda.

Old 12-10-2010, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigers84 View Post
Now let me get this straight. You think its a shining example of presidential defiance when Bill Clinton blatantly lied his arse off to the american people about Lewisnky? Or Nixon lying about his criminal behavior is to be emulated?
Au contaire! I'm not saying boneheaded or dishonest behavior should be emulated. Quite the contrary.

My point is simply that Americans -- like people just about everywhere -- respect somebody who fights for their beliefs. We may not agree with them, but we admire somebody who's got a vision and has the guts to go to the mat for it.

It's sort of like the old "Yeah, but he's our SOB" argument. How else do you account for the popularity of guys like Hitler, Stalin, Mao, Kim Jong-il, Hugo Chavez, Ayatollah Khomeini, etc?

In my opinion Obama would be better off if he just threw down and said, "This is it, boys and girls." No more nicey-nicey, no more compromise, no more "OMG, Republicans might come up with 40%,' no more 'what will the people on Fox news say?' Just go for it, dude -- if you get voted out so be it, at least you stood up for what you believed in. I'd much rather have politicians play it that way.

And maybe everybody didn't think Iraq was gonna be a huge mess, but it was pretty obvious if you thought about it. I voted for Bush and was a supporter of him, but when this started I had to say, "Uh-oh, this is not going to be pretty. Exactly who in the administration is telling you this is all wrapped up?"

Nonetheless, like I say, the "Mission Accomplished" speech was a good move. That's the sort of thing people want to hear from their leaders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta