U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 12:43 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,525,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
testa50 as a Dallas native I have to agree with your assessment. But b/c of the Ga Dome's location in downtown surrounded by all the the present and future attractions Atlanta will always win IMO. While Cowboys Stadium is the most amazing sports stadium regardless of sport I have seen the only thing around it is The Texas Rangers ballpark,Six Flags and some middle of the pack restaurants and hotels. If Cowboys stadium was built in downtown Dallas or the vicinity, in essence next to the action, then it would be a completely different story. But the Dallas Mayor at the time (Laura Miller) didn't want the stadium and now it's all the way out in Arlington.(Think traveling from downtown to peachtree city) Granted if the economy didn't start to tank a few years ago a live/work/play district around the stadium similar to Victory Park (Welcome to VictoryPark.com > Home) in downtown Dallas had been planned. Also if ESPN didn't buy the rights to the BCS the Cotton Bowl would have been turned into a BCS game, but the Cotton Bowl officials didn't like the idea of not having it on a major network so they balked. Atlanta may not have a BCS bowl game or a fancy stadium but b/c of it's proximity to so many SEC/ACC schools and being the major city in the south it will always be the best city to hosts major college sporting events and the College Football HOF Council obviously took note. One more thing to add, Atlanta's just not resting on its laurels to attract major events, Stokan in the past and the new leadership of the Atlanta Sports Council have done and are doing a great job of maintaining annual events and adding new ones.
I agree with all this, but having the stadium in downtown is a mixed blessing for some. There's less space for tailgating, which is a big part of CFB, but it does concentrate the fans in the city center and probably makes the whole thing less stressful--people know they can fly to the airport, take MARTA to downtown, get a room at the Hyatt, walk to the game, have all their restaurants and attractions within walking distance. I think overall people probably prefer the "downtown" experience, but I'm sure there are plenty who just want a stadium in a parking lot.

For every one of these games I notice tons of fans out at the bars and restaurants in Midtown, and they seem to be having a good time. I think that's another important component of the equation: we get more out of being a CFB hub, as it supports our intown restaurants and hotels, but in Dallas' situation it mainly just fills up the multitude of lowrise hotels and Chili's out in the burbs. But maybe that's too cynical a view of the whole thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 02:14 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,161,705 times
So they figure another way to make money off student athletes.

Great for football fans I guess but I really have no inclination to go.

Old 12-05-2010, 02:39 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,525,302 times
My post got some great rep comments:

Quote:
Nice try but our Dallas economy is KILLING atlanta's right now. We also are not a haven for thugs and rap music which hurts your image.
Quote:
This is so stupid. Another reason why Atlanta is so not cool. Can you picture Paris Hilton wanting to visit this place?

Old 12-05-2010, 03:34 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,161,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Dallas? A place for concrete? Dallas? A bigger version of Atlanta? No one likes Dallas except people in Texas who also did vote for George Bush as their governor.

Dallas? lol at those comments. I won't even begin to get into Dallas stereotypes b/c they are worse.

Dallas, overhypes and underperforms like their Cowbosy.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:12 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,601,552 times
Quote:
Nice try but our Dallas economy is KILLING atlanta's right now. We also are not a haven for thugs and rap music which hurts your image.

Atlanta has also had a knack for taking things that would otherwise be negatives and spinning them into something more positive. I can see it now. Just down Marietta St from the CFHoF will be the "Pimpin' Museum" with an entire wing devoted to late 70's-early 80's Chevrolet Caprices painted with glitter paint jobs on 28's.

Quote:
This is so stupid. Another reason why Atlanta is so not cool. Can you picture Paris Hilton wanting to visit this place?

Like, OMG Becky!

Old 12-05-2010, 08:25 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,427,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyonpa View Post
It will 'cost' the other down town thing some of there attendance. There is only so much time/$'s , and people will pick do i do the HOF, or Coke? Aquairiim, Ripley's....
False...they will spend another day in Atlanta to visit those sites

Old 12-06-2010, 12:58 AM

1,498 posts, read 2,553,439 times
The problem with an ultra-modern design like this one is how quickly it will age. Instead of picking a design based on the "football" side of it, they should have gone for the "college" side of it - a classic red brick building with a pitched, shingled roof. Something that looks like the Terry College of Business or any other standard college academic "hall". In a few years, this building is going to look as dated as the Atlanta Central Library does now.

Old 12-06-2010, 03:59 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,901,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
I don't even quote those anymore. A person needs to say what they want here on the forum instead of being a coward and doing it through reps.

Old 12-06-2010, 08:11 AM

12,977 posts, read 21,091,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akhenaton06 View Post
I don't even quote those anymore. A person needs to say what they want here on the forum instead of being a coward and doing it through reps.
I hope that city-data starts showing who leaves rep points/comments automatically.

This will keep posters from hiding behind this new "anonymity."

Old 12-06-2010, 04:08 PM

7,113 posts, read 8,146,259 times
Definitely should be a hit with visiting college football fans. Be nice if it is flexible enough to accomodate tributes to each visiting team.

I agree with the architecture being bad. It's sort of a cross between the Georgia Aquarium and the Atlanta Central library...neither of which are aesthetically pleasing. Speaking of which, Robb Pitts wanted to build a new library around the Centennial Park area. Is it being squeezed out over time as the area gradually fills up? Anyway, college football spans a great deal of time with a lot of history. The building should have more of a traditional look. The building's appearance should evoke thoughts of the past not the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or