U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 05:38 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,584,658 times

Advertisements

Atlanta has nodes of enlightenment scattered throughout. I believe the Atlanta Mercer Campus is in the area between Chamblee and North Decatur which will probably be a good area for you. The area is probably as diverse as you can get in the city. That area seems to have a mix of Indian, Hispanic, and Asian folks along with white and black people. I'm sure the schools reflect this make up.

Race is not as much an issue in day-to-day life in Atlanta as it may appear on this forum. I won't lie to you and say that it's all Kumbaya all the time but most folks seem to get along fine. I think the real racial issues tend to flare up in some transitional neighborhoods where there is a stark difference between established working-class blacks and more affluent whites moving in. It's more of a class issue in my opinion but it does have an undeniable racial element.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 06:46 PM

876 posts, read 1,883,107 times
Quote:
Get your doctorate at the school with the better rep for the area of study.
This is the best advice to head, regardless of the city you live in while working on a graduate degree.

Old 12-05-2010, 09:52 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,733,244 times
Quote:
I don't want to educate my children in a school where the kids are either 99% the same as them OR 99% different than them. Are my sentiments based on a non-existent utopia?
It is, if you are thinking of Baltimore. Baltimore City is even more segregated then Atlanta itself. Diversity is a joke there. The school system is 87% AA.

You are right that alot of the homes in Baltimore are more expensive then here. I think, its a toss up in some between most of the intown Atlanta communities and Fells Point and other areas of Baltimore.

Anyhow, have you visited here or Baltimore lately to see which one fits your needs?

Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 PM

4,688 posts, read 6,401,888 times
Why do people act like Atlanta is the only city in the nation that is segregated by race and class? For those who haven't been anywhere or in denial every city in America is segregated by class and race. Even NYC is segregated with Puerto Ricans living in the Bronx, Blacks in Harlem, Spanish Harlem, etc. That is segregation. Baltimore is just as segregated with blacks living in East and West Baltimore and whites living mostly in the suburbs. DC is segregated with Blacks living mostly in SE DC and PG County and Hispanics living in Tacoma Park, etc.

Old 12-05-2010, 10:30 PM

4,143 posts, read 5,733,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
Why do people act like Atlanta is the only city in the nation that is segregated by race and class? For those who haven't been anywhere or in denial every city in America is segregated by class and race. Even NYC is segregated with Puerto Ricans living in the Bronx, Blacks in Harlem, Spanish Harlem, etc. That is segregation. Baltimore is just as segregated with blacks living in East and West Baltimore and whites living mostly in the suburbs.

Pretty much...

Blacks in East and West Baltimore and the whites lives in the few enclaves that are in North/Northeast Baltimore or South Baltimore that have gentrified over the past few years.

Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 PM

11,319 posts, read 21,889,791 times
Quote:
Why do people act like Atlanta is the only city in the nation that is segregated by race and class?
Because some of the racial and class divisions are more visible here than they are in many US metros?

Old 12-05-2010, 11:30 PM

99 posts, read 179,421 times
Quote:
Why do people act like Atlanta is the only city in the nation that is segregated by race and class? For those who haven't been anywhere or in denial every city in America is segregated by class and race. Even NYC is segregated with Puerto Ricans living in the Bronx, Blacks in Harlem, Spanish Harlem, etc. That is segregation. Baltimore is just as segregated with blacks living in East and West Baltimore and whites living mostly in the suburbs. DC is segregated with Blacks living mostly in SE DC and PG County and Hispanics living in Tacoma Park, etc.
There is a HUGE difference in self-segregation based on race, and the economics of living in certain areas. In NYC, for example, many of the groups you mentioned live where they do because of what they can afford. Now, I won't get into a discussion as to why that is...let's just agree that it's complicated. Same in Baltimore.

BUT, in Atlanta, I get a sense that economics is not the only factor leading to the self-segregation. I see people CHOOSING to live where there are all blacks, or jumping ship the minute a person of color moves into their neighborhood (white flight)...REGARDLESS of the economics It is not remotely the same as living where you can afford to do so.

The majority of the people of color live in the outer boroughs of NYC because it is much more affordable. Not everyone can afford to pay $2750 a month for an apartment rental. The economics of NYC simply doesn't compare to the socio-cultural issues of Atlanta.

Old 12-06-2010, 06:24 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,401,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
There is a HUGE difference in self-segregation based on race, and the economics of living in certain areas. In NYC, for example, many of the groups you mentioned live where they do because of what they can afford. Now, I won't get into a discussion as to why that is...let's just agree that it's complicated. Same in Baltimore.

BUT, in Atlanta, I get a sense that economics is not the only factor leading to the self-segregation. I see people CHOOSING to live where there are all blacks, or jumping ship the minute a person of color moves into their neighborhood (white flight)...REGARDLESS of the economics It is not remotely the same as living where you can afford to do so.

The majority of the people of color live in the outer boroughs of NYC because it is much more affordable. Not everyone can afford to pay $2750 a month for an apartment rental. The economics of NYC simply doesn't compare to the socio-cultural issues of Atlanta.

I said b4 that whoever disagrees with me is hasn't traveled anywhere or they are in denial. You my friend are in denial.

First you say that Bmore and NYC arent segregated and later you changed your statement saying those cities are segregated but only because of economics and I say that is BS and you know it. The north is just as segregated as the south, only people in the north who are in denial think that only the south is segregated. I lived in the north b4 so don't start bringing up lies in here. That comment about people in NYC are only segregated because of economics is BS again. The Bronx, Brooklyn, Queens (NY suburbs) cost about the same to live in (Cheaper than Manhattan) and it is just as segregated. The majority of the people in NYC live in the outer boroughs and they stills segregate themselves from each other..

Chinese- They live in several Chinatowns in Metro NYC=Segregation
Blacks=Brooklyn, some live in the bronx=Segregation
Columbians=Bronx=Segregation
Filipino= Jackson Heights and Elmhurst=Segregation
Asians=Queens=Segregation

All of NYC is expensive and the suburbs are cheaper. They choose to live segregated in the suburbs of NYC. It is the same in Baltimore. Wake up, the north is just as segregated as anywhere else in America

NYC has white flight also.....http://www.nytimes.com/2008/09/23/ny.../23census.html
Baltimore, DC, Philly also had white flight

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 12-06-2010 at 06:33 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 06:56 AM

725 posts, read 1,264,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post

I have to interject. As a Atlanta resident... I have to say I am confused by this statement.

There are black people everywhere in Atlanta. I mean everywhere. I live in Buckhead, probably one of the wealthiest neighborhoods (also less afro-centric) and a ton of my neighbors are black... as well as the workforce as there are a lot of wealthy minorities with high paying jobs.

I think you just have to see for yourself. I don't want to raise the bar too high, but Atlanta is actually one of the only cities I have been to like this where blacks do so well in such larger numbers and engulf the city. Usually the cities I go to have blacks all confined to one area of the city and are scarcely employed in wealthy areas.

As far as race issues. I haven't had any issues, personally... I frankly do not know why somebody that does not like black people would move to Atlanta of all places.

bty... former white flight and current gentrification are two things Atlanta has in common with NYC and many major cities in the US.

White flight is a mix of suburbanization, neighborhood degragration (crime), social-economic issues, and avoiding minority intervention.
It's multicausational...., regardless As for the latter, the people that left Atlanta for fear of a little diveristy,... I say good riddance.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:00 AM

99 posts, read 179,421 times
TonyGeorgia,

You are making flawed categorical statements and inserting incorrect assumptions of NYC to prove an invalid point. Unfortunately, I wish the economics of NYC were as simple as you state, but that is not the case. And the outer boroughs are NO WHERE NEAR as expensive as Manhattan. I think you should stick to commenting on Atlanta, because NYC is not your strong suit. $3000/mo in Queens gets you a 3 BR house. $3000 on the UWS gets you a 400sq ft studio.

Again, my point is economics is a stronger driving force in NYC and other major cities, where I feel it is not as strong in Atlanta. In my neighborhood in Manhattan, there are doctors, lawyers, financiers, teachers...and they are of many different backgrounds. I am not seeing that as much in Atlanta.

Rather than ranting about other cities that you are less familiar with, would you care to offer a neighborhood or area of Atlanta that provides the mixture of demographics that I am seeking?

Best wishes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or