U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 04:39 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,762,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
Actually, the whitest NYC 'hoods would be the UES, Murray Hill and Chelsea.

I've lived in Park Slope, on the UWS and in Morningside Heights and in every one of those neighborhoods, I interacted and socialized, without issue, with people of all backgrounds. They are areas where the schools are good, the people care about their community, and there is camaraderie. There is diversity in those neighborhoods, actually the most being in Park Slope, not Morningside Heights (which is dominated by Columbia Students).
Not to be nitpicky but Park Slope is still majority white which is fairly rare outside of Manhattan. It's been quite the hot yuppie hood for quite a while now. I'd say it's definitely the whitest neighborhood in Brooklyn by a good bit(Well, maybe Dumbo or Greenpoint may give it a run for it's money).

Have you ever even been to Atlanta? You seem to have a skewed perception of it and it appears you either got it from hyperbolic forum posts about race issues(they're on EVERY city forum) or you've only visited the innercity ghettos and BFE trailer parks of metro Atlanta. You really don't seem to have any idea what the majority of the metro area is like. If you have spent a decent amount of time here you'd notice that there's actually quite a bit of interaction between people of all nationalities and races. I have both a Romanian and a Nepalese coworker. I've had professors from Nigeria and Northern Ireland. I've produced television shows with a Russian guy. I've dated a Kurdish Iraqi Muslim. I don't really think my situation is all that unique.

You have to take into account the huge lifestyle difference between NYC and Atl. Up there, you literally rub shoulders with people from all over the world every single day. The diversity in Atlanta is less in your face than in NYC but it's still pretty apparent. Yes, there are areas of the metro where the vast majority of residents are either black or white but I ask you to show me one city where that isn't the case. You seem to have already made up your mind about Atlanta in some regards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 05:16 PM

99 posts, read 117,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Not to be nitpicky but Park Slope is still majority white which is fairly rare outside of Manhattan. It's been quite the hot yuppie hood for quite a while now. I'd say it's definitely the whitest neighborhood in Brooklyn by a good bit(Well, maybe Dumbo or Greenpoint may give it a run for it's money).

Have you ever even been to Atlanta? You seem to have a skewed perception of it and it appears you either got it from hyperbolic forum posts about race issues(they're on EVERY city forum) or you've only visited the innercity ghettos and BFE trailer parks of metro Atlanta. You really don't seem to have any idea what the majority of the metro area is like. If you have spent a decent amount of time here you'd notice that there's actually quite a bit of interaction between people of all nationalities and races. I have both a Romanian and a Nepalese coworker. I've had professors from Nigeria and Northern Ireland. I've produced television shows with a Russian guy. I've dated a Kurdish Iraqi Muslim. I don't really think my situation is all that unique.

You have to take into account the huge lifestyle difference between NYC and Atl. Up there, you literally rub shoulders with people from all over the world every single day. The diversity in Atlanta is less in your face than in NYC but it's still pretty apparent. Yes, there are areas of the metro where the vast majority of residents are either black or white but I ask you to show me one city where that isn't the case. You seem to have already made up your mind about Atlanta in some regards.
If you read my initial post, you would see that I THOUGHT this was the case until I came on this board...which gave me a different perception. Which is why I posted the thread. I was hoping that people would comment and at least give me a sense that things were as I had hoped. But instead, I get people that don't read original posts, and spend a lot of time trying to prove points about the demographics of where I currently live. Yes, it can be expensive to live in the outer boroughs, but living in Manhattan is exorbitantly more expensive for a similar amount of space. Yes, Park Slope may be "white for Brooklyn" but it is diverse for New York City and it offers a sense of communal living like very few other places in the city. Much more diverse than other neighborhoods in Manhattan. My initial post was a request for suggestions of neighborhoods that offered a sense of inclusivity.

Instead, I've gotten a barrage of attacks about segregation being in every city, accused of being in denial, and told I'm offering up the whitest neighborhoods in NYC as a means of comparison. In addition, this thread is becoming about black and white...the very thing I want to avoid. I don't care about race.

At the end of the day, I had hoped I could come to this board for suggestions, but that is not the case. Oh well. It is what it is.

Last edited by ocsanders; 12-06-2010 at 05:54 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 06:00 PM

2,063 posts, read 1,762,517 times
Quote:
If you read my initial post, you would see that I THOUGHT this was the case until I came on this board...which gave me a different perception. Which is why I posted the thread. I was hoping that people would comment and at least give me a sense that things were as I had hoped. But instead, I get people that don't read original posts, and spend a lot of time trying to prove points about the demographics of where I currently live. Yes, it can be expensive to live in the outer boroughs, but living in Manhattan is exorbitantly more expensive for a similar amount of space. Yes, Park Slope may be "white for Brooklyn" but it is diverse for New York City and it offers a sense of communal living like very few other places in the city. Much more diverse than other neighborhoods in Manhattan. My initial post was a request for suggestions of neighborhoods that offered a sense of inclusivity.

Instead, I've gotten a barrage of attacks about segregation being in every city, accused of being in denial, and told I'm offering up the whitest neighborhoods in NYC as a means of comparison.

At the end of the day, I had hoped I could come to this board for suggestions, but that is not the case. Oh well. It is what it is.
I read your initial post at the beginning and this particular phrase stuck out to me:

"My issues...I am TIRED of reading everything about black this and white that. BOTH groups have their issues with entitlement that I suppose will never go away. For some reason, I guess I blindly believed (hoped?) that there would be a little more melding of the groups in Atlanta at this point in time. Everything still remains pretty much segregated...and by choice, which is almost worse to me."

I interpreted this statement to indicate that the issue had been pretty much settled in your mind that Atlanta is a completely segregated city. You came to this conclusion based solely on what you've read on this forum? How exactly did you expect folks to interpret that? Your initial post could have easily been(and was) interpreted as "Prove to me that Atlanta isn't the backwards racist city I think it is" whether you meant it to or not.

To be honest some of us are sensitive when it comes to racial topics due to the fact that so-called "enlightened" folks from other areas don't hesitate to paint the south in broad stokes when it comes to race relations. If I had based my perception of NYC on what I've read on these forums I would have never moved there since it seems to be an insanely over-priced, filthy city with nothing but eurotrash, tourists, and rude locals surrounded by crime scene tape.

Yes, I was sort of being a smartass when I brought up the fact that the UWS and Park Slope are predominately white but I was doing it to make a point. A lot of folks in New York seem to be spoiled by the 'diversity.' They assume that since other cities aren't as 'diverse' as NYC it must be due to racism when in fact it's lifestyle. Atlanta has just about as many different types of people living in it as New York does. However, since there's far less population and they're not living on top of each other like in NYC, it can sometimes seem less diverse.

Last edited by DTL3000; 12-06-2010 at 06:11 PM..

Old 12-06-2010, 06:28 PM

I asked a question based on the sentiments I got from this forum. There is nothing wrong with that. What is the point of having a forum if questions cannot be posed to it. When I posted the thread there were several threads questioning race issues specifically. So, I made an inquiry, particularly since I am earnestly considering moving to the area. In my opinion, it would be worse to move to the city WITHOUT asking the question, in this forum, where I am seeing comments that concern me.

While I would love to move back to a great city further South as I pursue my academic endeavors, I don't want to do so under the same conditions in which I grew up in small town-SC. I am as sensitive as the next Southerner. But it wouldn't keep me from offering an opinion about a specific question, rather than steering the discussion in a different, unintended direction.

I think the level of sensitivity that people often display towards this is a personal issue. The same that it is probably my personal issue that I feel people keep steering the discussion in a direction I don't want it to go.

Look, I'm not trying to come off as some enlightened NYer trying to reinvent the existence of relationships of the South. I only want to know if there are options for living in area where there might be a neighborhood co-op, neighbors that don't mind if kids from multiple households are playing in their yard, where people aren't going to be upset by the color of skin of new people moving in, where someone wouldn't mind if I knocked on their door and offered them a few extra tomatoes from my garden. I want my children to grow up in an inclusive area. I guess I'll focus on finding a buyer's agent.

Old 12-06-2010, 07:19 PM

124 posts, read 205,366 times
Ocsanders, you may find the "race map" of Atlanta useful. It is compiled from 2000 Census data, but it is still a pretty accurate visual of how the different racial groups are distributed throughout the city. Note: if you view the largest size of the pic, you can see the major interstates better and it will help you figure out where everything is a little bit easier.

Race and ethnicity: Atlanta | Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/walkingsf/4981400669/in/set-72157624812674967/ - broken link)

Old 04-28-2011, 01:03 PM

This is an old post from the end of last year...after thinking we would end up in some neighborhood in Gwinnett County, we continued our research.

We've settled on living in the City of Decatur. Has all the qualities of inclusiveness and diversity we were seeking. And to me, it very much has the feel of "Park Slope". I am excited...I knew something like this existed! Glad I didn't give in to the naysayers .

Old 04-28-2011, 01:22 PM

7,852 posts, read 11,971,383 times
Quote:
This is an old post from the end of last year...after thinking we would end up in some neighborhood in Gwinnett County, we continued our research.

We've settled on living in the City of Decatur. Has all the qualities of inclusiveness and diversity we were seeking. And to me, it very much has the feel of "Park Slope". I am excited...I knew something like this existed! Glad I didn't give in to the naysayers .
What you read in these threads is not always reality. I'm glad you found that out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta