Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 07:03 AM

99 posts, read 212,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theATLien View Post
I have to interject. As a Atlanta resident... I have to say I am confused by this statement.

There are black people everywhere in Atlanta. I mean everywhere. I live in Buckhead, probably one of the wealthiest neighborhoods (also less afro-centric) and a ton of my neighbors are black... as well as the workforce as there are a lot of wealthy minorities with high paying jobs.

I think you just have to see for yourself. I don't want to raise the bar too high, but Atlanta is actually one of the only cities I have been to like this where blacks do so well in such larger numbers and engulf the city. Usually the cities I go to have blacks all confined to one area of the city and are scarcely employed in wealthy areas.

As far as race issues. I haven't had any issues, personally... I frankly do not know why somebody that does not like black people would move to Atlanta of all places.

bty... former white flight and current gentrification are two things Atlanta has in common with NYC and many major cities in the US.

White flight is a mix of suburbanization, neighborhood degragration (crime), social-economic issues, and avoiding minority intervention.
It's multicausational...., regardless As for the latter, the people that left Atlanta for fear of a little diveristy,... I say good riddance.
Thank you ATLien. This is the kind of info I am seeking!

To clarify, I read on here that blacks were once flocking to Lithonia. To me, that is an example of socio-cultural aspects driving self-segregation vs. economics.

Do you think the mixture in Buckhead is a one-off? That's my question. Are there other areas like Decatur in the area?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2010, 07:16 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Excuses
Excuses
Excuses

Yes, NYC is expensive and it is just as segregated at Alabama.

Just come down and visit yourself. You will see Atlanta is just like any other city in regards to where people choose to live

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 12-06-2010 at 07:25 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 07:28 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,021,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
TonyGeorgia,

You are making flawed categorical statements and inserting incorrect assumptions of NYC to prove an invalid point. Unfortunately, I wish the economics of NYC were as simple as you state, but that is not the case. And the outer boroughs are NO WHERE NEAR as expensive as Manhattan. I think you should stick to commenting on Atlanta, because NYC is not your strong suit. $3000/mo in Queens gets you a 3 BR house. $3000 on the UWS gets you a 400sq ft studio.

Again, my point is economics is a stronger driving force in NYC and other major cities, where I feel it is not as strong in Atlanta. In my neighborhood in Manhattan, there are doctors, lawyers, financiers, teachers...and they are of many different backgrounds. I am not seeing that as much in Atlanta.

Rather than ranting about other cities that you are less familiar with, would you care to offer a neighborhood or area of Atlanta that provides the mixture of demographics that I am seeking?

Best wishes to you!
That was my point. It is cheaper to live outside of Manhattan and living outside of Manhattan is segregated. That was my point! The cost of living in Queen, Bronx, Brooklyn are about the same and people still choose to be segregated in NYC suburbs. Why are most of the Puerto Ricans living in the Bronx? Why are most Blacks in Brooklyn? Etc. Yes it is cheaper to live outside of Manhattan but they are still segregating themselves in the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc The same excuse you are making for NY can be made for Atlanta. It cost too much (by Atlanta standards) to live in the city so people choose to live in the suburbs

Last edited by tonygeorgia; 12-06-2010 at 07:40 AM..

Old 12-06-2010, 08:08 AM

725 posts, read 1,511,009 times
Quote:
Thank you ATLien. This is the kind of info I am seeking!

To clarify, I read on here that blacks were once flocking to Lithonia. To me, that is an example of socio-cultural aspects driving self-segregation vs. economics.

Do you think the mixture in Buckhead is a one-off? That's my question. Are there other areas like Decatur in the area?
No... It's cheap as heck in Lithonia! Or let me say inexpensive. They have some of the best deals in the metro. As you may have stated earlier a lot of black people don't earn as much as whites so Lithonia is more attractive to a large number of poorer blacks... However not to me (a middle class AA) and higher earning blacks because crime is starting to get a little uptick there... can't say I didn't consider it though. I like saving money as much as the next fellow.

Buckhead is diverse as it is in the city, but it definitetly has a fair number of white residents than average. However Chamblee and Buford HWY a block away from Buckhead is loaded with different ethic groups. Buford Hwy is like a little Mexico, lil Korea, lil China, And little South American all in one...

N. Decatur is where I want to move eventually. However any of the east side neighborhoods are great. Virginia-Highlands is the hot one right now. Poncey-Highlands is ok. So is Avondale.

Imma just say this... I hope it helps you out. Atlanta has a lot of great places to live and bad neighborhood turns to good with a snap of a finger... and vice-versa. You haven't really given me enough to dertermine what's a good fit for you. However if you are concerned about diversity or if people will treat you different cause of your race. Don't be. The only color that matters is green (and that could be good or bad). Racist people have no power in this city.

Old 12-06-2010, 09:10 AM

Thanks ATLien for your help!

Old 12-06-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygeorgia View Post
That was my point. It is cheaper to live outside of Manhattan and living outside of Manhattan is segregated. That was my point! The cost of living in Queen, Bronx, Brooklyn are about the same and people still choose to be segregated in NYC suburbs. Why are most of the Puerto Ricans living in the Bronx? Why are most Blacks in Brooklyn? Etc. Yes it is cheaper to live outside of Manhattan but they are still segregating themselves in the Bronx, Brooklyn, etc The same excuse you are making for NY can be made for Atlanta. It cost too much (by Atlanta standards) to live in the city so people choose to live in the suburbs
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

That being said and to get the thread back on topic, are there any diverse areas of Atlanta that provide a sense of inclusivity? If you are familiar with New York, I am looking for an area like the UWS, Morningside Heights, or Park Slope in Brooklyn.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Old 12-06-2010, 11:23 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,333 times
Quote:

That being said and to get the thread back on topic, are there any diverse areas of Atlanta that provide a sense of inclusivity? If you are familiar with New York, I am looking for an area like the UWS, Morningside Heights, or Park Slope in Brooklyn.

90% of Metro Atlanta the region is separated by class and not race, just as with any other major American city. Some here do choose to live around those that look like them, Blacks in SW Fulton and SE Dekalb, whites in Alpharetta and Dacula for example. Individuals making this decision based on personal comfort and preference does not make them racist or intolerant.

I don't know your price range but coming from NYC I assume price won't be as much of an issue for you. My top suggestion for what your're looking for: Morningside/Lenox Park, Pine Hills, and maybe Chamblee. There's all different types of diversity. Don't know if you would like even ratio whites to blacks. More mixture of whites, blacks, asians, and Hispanics. If you would like to have Jews in your neighborhood, Muslims, etc. Diversity is a loaded word. Whatever you're looking for and whatever groups of people you wish to live around, you won't have a problem finding it in Atlanta.

Also the Metro is extreemly spread out and most of the jobs are not located in the downtown/midtown areas. Where you get a job will determine where you can live above anything. There are those that will make crazy commutes, like Lithonia to Alpharetta to work, because they just don't want to live anywhere near where they work. Most people though, regardless of race and class seek to live in somewhat close proximity to work, traffic here can be insane.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:03 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:

You go on and on about diversity yet you bring up some of the whitest NYC hoods(excluding Morningside Heights) as examples of the type of neighborhood you want to live in.

Anyway, I suppose Decatur, Candler Park, or Inman Park may be the closest to Park Slope and Buckhead, Brookhaven, and north Midtown may be the closest thing to the UWS. Still though, they are FAR from anything like those neighborhoods despite the fact that they are the "closest" to them in Atlanta if that makes any sense.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:08 PM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
You go on and on about diversity yet you bring up some of the whitest NYC hoods(excluding Morningside Heights) as examples of the type of neighborhood you want to live in.

True this.

Old 12-06-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post

Anyway, I suppose Decatur, Candler Park, or Inman Park may be the closest to Park Slope and Buckhead, Brookhaven, and north Midtown may be the closest thing to the UWS. Still though, they are FAR from anything like those neighborhoods despite the fact that they are the "closest" to them in Atlanta if that makes any sense.
Actually, the whitest NYC 'hoods would be the UES, Murray Hill and Chelsea.

I've lived in Park Slope, on the UWS and in Morningside Heights and in every one of those neighborhoods, I interacted and socialized, without issue, with people of all backgrounds. They are areas where the schools are good, the people care about their community, and there is camaraderie. There is diversity in those neighborhoods, actually the most being in Park Slope, not Morningside Heights (which is dominated by Columbia Students).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta