U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 01:18 PM

99 posts, read 179,697 times

Advertisements

Sigh. I am truly perplexed.

I am in the process of considering cities for relocation. Choices are Atlanta and Baltimore. Both cities have their pros as well as their cons. Let's wipe out the job prospects, economy, etc...ish has hit the fan across the country, and it simply is not a factor in my decision. I am pursuing a doctorate. Financially, Atlanta is much more appealing than Baltimore. I can live happily, in a more spacious residence easily. In Baltimore, the prices are closer to here in NYC.

My issues...I am TIRED of reading everything about black this and white that. BOTH groups have their issues with entitlement that I suppose will never go away. For some reason, I guess I blindly believed (hoped?) that there would be a little more melding of the groups in Atlanta at this point in time. Everything still remains pretty much segregated...and by choice, which is almost worse to me.

I want to live in an area where perceptions of a person are not based on their skin color, but more so their interaction, their contribution to the community, their willingness to contribute to the beautification of the neighborhood...in an area where the schools are good and there is a DIVERSE student population. I don't want to educate my children in a school where the kids are either 99% the same as them OR 99% different than them. Are my sentiments based on a non-existent utopia?

Is there any hope? Are there any communities that exist under at least the guise of inclusivity (I understand practice vs. theory is a whole other issue)?

NOTE: I am a Southerner born and bred. Originally from SC. Went to Duke for undergrad, then moved to NYC. Now looking to move back to the South. So, I am familiar with the history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2010, 03:51 PM

2,642 posts, read 7,245,454 times
Where are you going to pursue your doctorate?

Old 12-05-2010, 04:02 PM

Either Mercer or University of Maryland - Baltimore.

Old 12-05-2010, 04:15 PM

1,262 posts, read 2,448,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocsanders View Post
Sigh. I am truly perplexed.

I am in the process of considering cities for relocation. Choices are Atlanta and Baltimore. Both cities have their pros as well as their cons. Let's wipe out the job prospects, economy, etc...ish has hit the fan across the country, and it simply is not a factor in my decision. I am pursuing a doctorate. Financially, Atlanta is much more appealing than Baltimore. I can live happily, in a more spacious residence easily. In Baltimore, the prices are closer to here in NYC.

My issues...I am TIRED of reading everything about black this and white that. BOTH groups have their issues with entitlement that I suppose will never go away. For some reason, I guess I blindly believed (hoped?) that there would be a little more melding of the groups in Atlanta at this point in time. Everything still remains pretty much segregated...and by choice, which is almost worse to me.

I want to live in an area where perceptions of a person are not based on their skin color, but more so their interaction, their contribution to the community, their willingness to contribute to the beautification of the neighborhood...in an area where the schools are good and there is a DIVERSE student population. I don't want to educate my children in a school where the kids are either 99% the same as them OR 99% different than them. Are my sentiments based on a non-existent utopia?

Is there any hope? Are there any communities that exist under at least the guise of inclusivity (I understand practice vs. theory is a whole other issue)?

NOTE: I am a Southerner born and bred. Originally from SC. Went to Duke for undergrad, then moved to NYC. Now looking to move back to the South. So, I am familiar with the history.
Have you visited both cities? I applaud you on trying to make an informed decision. However, visiting, exploring, lingering, are really the only true ways to get a sense of a city or place. City data is not exactly a microcosm of what Atlanta has to offer. In all truth, a majority of the city and metro blends well with all races. Of course we have issues to work on. However it's not as heated or as present in life as it is on this forum. Good luck!

Old 12-05-2010, 05:43 PM

I have visited both cities. Atlanta was at the top of my list until I started reading all of these charged threads. I feel like so many of threads, regardless of initial topic, winds it way tirades race, white flight, "slave mentality" and so on and so on. It's just beginning to wear thin.

I'm glad that the sentiment of this board isn't the standard for the city. I was beginning to get worried.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:44 PM

I think I am going to focus on Decatur as a place to settle. Hopefully that area will provide a sense of inclusivity.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:45 PM

8,190 posts, read 11,875,943 times
Looks like you started this thread at the same time some trolls showed up and started spewing their venom. Don't let the haters scare you off. I think you should visit both cities for yourself and try to get a basic feel for them before you make your decision.

Old 12-05-2010, 05:52 PM

Get your doctorate at the school with the better rep for the area of study. It's important at the doctorate level.

That being said, if you were at Mercer, will you be at the Macon campus or the Atlanta campus or the Savannah campus?

Old 12-05-2010, 06:00 PM

The two are neck and neck. Because I want to focus on a clinical area, I need a good hospital affiliation. Mercer has good a good connection with Emory and Md with JH. Both have clinical tracks to follow.

Having a family in Baltimore is very scary to me. I have a 2yo daughter and a 2 month old son.

Old 12-05-2010, 06:02 PM

So, you'd be at the Atlanta campus? If so, then if you settled in and around Decatur I think you'd be happy. It's a great place for a family and it's progressive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or