U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which is the better name: West Midtown or Midtown West?
West Midtown 40 81.63%
Midtown West 9 18.37%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2010, 01:34 PM

25 posts, read 40,122 times

Advertisements

Personally I wish the whole West Midtown thing would go away. That area doesn't resemble Midtown, or is even adjacent to Midtown. Neighborhoods like Home Park, Blandtown, Knight Park, Loring Heights, and Berkeley Park are being swallowed up by this imaginary neighborhood. My opinion is that it is developers and real estate folks taking the easy way out by hijacking the name of an already established area instead of investing in the reputation of the existing neighborhoods. To me it seems a bit disrespectful to wipe the slate clean, and start over like someone discovered this hidden place (that's always been there).

I can't speak for every City of Atlanta resident, but neither I or my friends that live in the city refer to that area as West Midtown. I can understand referring to it as Westside since the Westside market is there, but West Midtown to me is lame.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2010, 02:54 PM

906 posts, read 1,442,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma.Police View Post
I can't speak for every City of Atlanta resident, but neither I or my friends that live in the city refer to that area as West Midtown. I can understand referring to it as Westside since the Westside market is there, but West Midtown to me is lame.
Just curious: do you and your friends actually say "Westside" when you refer to this area? Or do you say something else?

(I see what you mean about Midtown and Westside being totally different, btw.)

Old 12-07-2010, 03:38 PM

12,946 posts, read 21,032,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karma.Police View Post
Personally I wish the whole West Midtown thing would go away. That area doesn't resemble Midtown, or is even adjacent to Midtown. Neighborhoods like Home Park, Blandtown, Knight Park, Loring Heights, and Berkeley Park are being swallowed up by this imaginary neighborhood. My opinion is that it is developers and real estate folks taking the easy way out by hijacking the name of an already established area instead of investing in the reputation of the existing neighborhoods. To me it seems a bit disrespectful to wipe the slate clean, and start over like someone discovered this hidden place (that's always been there).

You make some good points, but I think you are missing the overall point of this thread.

Read through this post first: West Midtown or Midtown West?

The overall point of this thread is to define an area that is really not part of a neighborhood--without destroying the integrity, status and significance of neighborhoods nearby and already there.

A little history...this part of Atlanta was formerly a major industrial, warehouse, and manufacturing district. The industrial areas were connected with each other but each was also at the edge of various neighborhoods. The industrial areas were in heavy use (non-residential) and were a part of the adjacent neighborhood in name only. This is why the northern part of English Avenue, the western parts of Home Park and Blandtown, and the southern parts of Berkeley Park, Underwood Hills, and Hills Park do not really seem like a part of the core neighborhood. The haphazardly-named "Marietta Street Artery" area is a former industrial corridor.

So, now that these industrial/warehouse areas have evolved or are evolving into "post-industrial" usage, it has really become like a nameless, somewhat abandoned, but beautiful area that needs definition. I think it is important to define this area before developers and realtors start doing it themselves.

And West Midtown will have its own identity totally different from Midtown--that's the whole point (just like Upper West Side and Upper East Side are totally different). BringBackCobain wrote a fabulous post about this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/16892718-post3.html

Old 12-07-2010, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
You make some good points, but I think you are missing the overall point of this thread.

Read through this post first: West Midtown or Midtown West?

The overall point of this thread is to define an area that is really not part of a neighborhood--without destroying the integrity, status and significance of neighborhoods nearby and already there.

A little history...this part of Atlanta was formerly a major industrial, warehouse, and manufacturing district. The industrial areas were connected with each other but each was also at the edge of various neighborhoods. The industrial areas were in heavy use (non-residential) and were a part of the adjacent neighborhood in name only. This is why the northern part of English Avenue, the western parts of Home Park and Blandtown, and the southern parts of Berkeley Park, Underwood Hills, and Hills Park do not really seem like a part of the core neighborhood. The haphazardly-named "Marietta Street Artery" area is a former industrial corridor.

So, now that these industrial/warehouse areas have evolved or are evolving into "post-industrial" usage, it has really become like a nameless, somewhat abandoned, but beautiful area that needs definition. I think it is important to define this area before developers and realtors start doing it themselves.

And West Midtown will have its own identity totally different from Midtown--that's the whole point (just like Upper West Side and Upper East Side are totally different). BringBackCobain wrote a fabulous post about this: http://www.city-data.com/forum/16892718-post3.html

Found a great map, y'all...

This map shows further how the soon-to-be official "West Midtown" was almost all former industrial areas--mills, stockyards, etc. Notice how the former industrial areas are part of present-day neighborhoods in name only--the northern triangle of the English Avenue neighborhood was the Exhibition Cotton Mills.

Check it out: Upper ARTery Atlanta GA

Old 12-07-2010, 10:05 PM

More great information:

Bland Town
Marietta Street Artery Association

Old 12-09-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-SawDude View Post

Something feels odd about "Midtown West." It could be that it sounds like an individual development, like a particular apartment complex, rather than the name of a region.

I just now saw this--

I (others that I know) have also thought that "Midtown West" sounds like an apartment complex--or a wannabe chic office park development.

Old 12-09-2010, 08:37 AM

124 posts, read 348,377 times
My friends and I always have called it the "Westside". I just read a restaurant review yesterday that called it that too so I know I'm not alone:

"When FLIP Burger Boutique (3655 Roswell Road, 404-549-3298) opened its first location on Atlanta’s Westside, crowds were eager to get a taste of chef Richard Blais’ cooking..."

Old 12-09-2010, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jematl View Post
My friends and I always have called it the "Westside". I just read a restaurant review yesterday that called it that too so I know I'm not alone:

"When FLIP Burger Boutique (3655 Roswell Road, 404-549-3298) opened its first location on Atlanta’s Westside, crowds were eager to get a taste of chef Richard Blais’ cooking..."
And your friends (and you) are correct--"West Midtown" is a part of the "Westside."

The Westside: West Midtown, Howell Station, Bolton, Riverside, Whittier Mill Village, Blandtown, Underwood Hills, West Highlands, and Hills Park.

Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,456,003 times
If your talking to most Native African-American Atlantans they would consider "The Westside" to be English Avenue, Bankhead and Vine City. All of those neigborhoods are in NW quadrant of Atlanta. That term has referred to these neigborhoods for ages.

Old 12-09-2010, 05:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantasfinest View Post
If your talking to most Native African-American Atlantans they would consider "The Westside" to be English Avenue, Bankhead and Vine City. All of those neigborhoods are in NW quadrant of Atlanta. That term has referred to these neigborhoods for ages.

Yep--I definitely think of those neighborhoods as Westside.

The "Westside" listing above was in reference to the supposed "mainstream" view of Westside Atlanta is.

Westside is really the whole westside of Atlanta.

Great post, finest.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta