U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:19 AM

3,972 posts, read 11,032,602 times

Advertisements

That is what they said when a group of parents met with a group of legislators about changing the state Constitution to allow for more school systems, independent of the creation of more local governments.

Do their actions match their words -- probably not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 02:30 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,242,094 times
So true.

The politics of "cutting off one's nose to spite one's face" always had a warm welcome here in America, especially here in the south. The logic is insane and the consequences are huge (crippling deficits, infinite wars, decreasing health, dwindling resources) and yet a certain demographic of the American population still allow their entire lives to be governed by this archaic mindset.

But to slightly paraphrase your bolded statement, what more can us human beings do? My only hope that whenever the results of this hateful mindset comes to a final reckoning (and I believe someday there will be one), that we human beings will hopefully make the right choice and chose togetherness & survival.

Otherwise...there will be no "otherwise"...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
I think the biggest barrier would be the feds and the race issue. And frankly, I think that will actually motivate more people to vote for it, at least that's been my experience in Alabama. People voted against tax reform because it was framed as benefitting blacks. In actuality it benefitted poor people, but I had more than one person tell me that though it would put more money in their pocket, they were against it for that reason. *shrug* What can you do when people have this mindset? Not a helluva lot.

Old 08-19-2011, 02:46 PM

3,515 posts, read 4,242,094 times
The Republican party in most situations also like local control as well. I think a person has to be careful when deciding what it is that a political party stands for or is against; especially in this country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
I think that the vote will fail because people across the state will fear the division of their own counties, etc and not want to set a precedent. In fact, I am not at all confident, even with these proposed district changes, that it will pass out of the state house and senate. Most republicans like smaller (and therefore fewer) governments.

Old 01-14-2012, 11:58 AM

29,147 posts, read 26,094,166 times
Well, contrary to what many have thought, including me, it turns out that Fulton County is running pretty tight ship.

Quote:
But the perception that Fulton hasn't scaled back since 2005, when Sandy Springs became the first city to shake off direct county governance, doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Data analyzed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution show spending has fallen significantly in the unincorporated area's special tax district that once served the four new cities and other annexed areas. In fact, if the district were a city, it would be among the most tightly run in the state for its population.

Fulton not quite as bloated as detractors claim *| ajc.com

Old 01-14-2012, 12:17 PM

538 posts, read 772,470 times
But the perception that Fulton hasn't scaled back since 2005, when Sandy Springs became the first city to shake off direct county governance, doesn't hold up to scrutiny. Data analyzed by The Atlanta Journal-Constitution show spending has fallen significantly in the unincorporated area's special tax district that once served the four new cities and other annexed areas. In fact, if the district were a city, it would be among the most tightly run in the state for its population

Now there's the most important part of the quote....up until Sandy Springs mutinied, Fulton County refused to "scale back" and gladly took North Fulton's money and spent it in South Fulton. Once the mutiny began the county has tried to give some semblance of fiscal responsibility.....but simply not enough for those of us in North Fulton that want to be autonomous and not have to watch those circus acts that are fondly referred to as Fulton County Commission Meetings.......

Old 01-14-2012, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
[i][b]Now there's the most important part of the quote....up until Sandy Springs mutinied, Fulton County refused to "scale back" and gladly took North Fulton's money and spent it in South Fulton.

Yep. At least they're finally getting their act together.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:59 PM

4,176 posts, read 4,832,560 times
it's crap and as more and more of the kind of "white flight" people move further out (as many already are, due to the increased african american, jewish and muslim populations), this issue will fade more and more.

Old 01-15-2012, 06:56 AM

1,939 posts, read 3,963,999 times
If anything GA needs to merge counties, we have way too many, some are like 3rd world countries. GA should have around 100 counties.

Old 01-15-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
it's crap and as more and more of the kind of "white flight" people move further out (as many already are, due to the increased african american, jewish and muslim populations), this issue will fade more and more.
It's more about getting a fair shake for your tax dollars.

Old 01-15-2012, 02:47 PM

34 posts, read 59,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
If anything GA needs to merge counties, we have way too many, some are like 3rd world countries. GA should have around 100 counties.
I agree with this, but then again I live in North Fulton and it feels like it practically should be separated, it's almost as if it would work better if we were merged with Forsyth. Then again I'm not an expert on the local politics, but to me it would make more sense regionally and politically if anyone should be worried about the subject of the amount of counties.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or