U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-16-2012, 04:36 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
Reputation: 5313

Advertisements

If Fulton County weren't so unwieldy in its geography, would probably be a mute point. I don't know what the beef is now that all of North Fulton is in one city or another EXCEPT for the school system. If Fulton County Schools were divided into north and south, I doubt the desire for a Milton County would get as much steam. Cities cannot create school systems in GA, only counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-16-2012, 06:27 PM
 
538 posts, read 755,153 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
If Fulton County weren't so unwieldy in its geography, would probably be a mute point. I don't know what the beef is now that all of North Fulton is in one city or another EXCEPT for the school system. If Fulton County Schools were divided into north and south, I doubt the desire for a Milton County would get as much steam. Cities cannot create school systems in GA, only counties.
Being lumped in with the South Fulton schools and the Fulton County School System as a whole is one of the motivating factors for those that want to see a Milton County. Milton County would have one of the highest performing school systems in the country. That attracts businesses and home buyers. Simply put, we don't want to be a part of the utter silliness in Fulton County and its school system....with all of the racial politics and sqaundering of money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 09:07 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
Reputation: 5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Being lumped in with the South Fulton schools and the Fulton County School System as a whole is one of the motivating factors for those that want to see a Milton County. Milton County would have one of the highest performing school systems in the country. That attracts businesses and home buyers. Simply put, we don't want to be a part of the utter silliness in Fulton County and its school system....with all of the racial politics and sqaundering of money.
It's one of those instances where geography and history have definitely created an anomaly. To have the city of Atlanta with a separate school system dividing the remaining parts of Fulton County so squarely in half.... and so distant, not only in terms of culture, race, economics, but in just plain out physical distance, it needs a special case scenario to be two separate districts. That would end the desire for Milton County, I guarantee it.

But then you might open a pandora's box, other "intact" counties then might want to subdivide their systems and that can't be a good situation for any other district in the state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-16-2012, 09:24 PM
 
3,129 posts, read 5,144,922 times
Reputation: 1588
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwinds View Post
Being lumped in with the South Fulton schools and the Fulton County School System as a whole is one of the motivating factors for those that want to see a Milton County. Milton County would have one of the highest performing school systems in the country. That attracts businesses and home buyers. Simply put, we don't want to be a part of the utter silliness in Fulton County and its school system....with all of the racial politics and sqaundering of money.
Right, you rather have your own racial politics and squandering of money
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 05:30 AM
 
538 posts, read 755,153 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Right, you rather have your own racial politics and squandering of money
There would be no need for racial politics in a Milton County......our cities in North Fulton seem to do a pretty good job with fiscal restraint....so I see no reason that the folks governing Milton County would be different. I challenge you to sit through the circus that is called a Fulton County Commission Meeting and then tell me that Fulton County is run as anything but a jobs program and a North Fulton to South Fulton money grab.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 12:09 PM
 
15 posts, read 33,935 times
Reputation: 16
Default What! Shools?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintmarks View Post
If Fulton County weren't so unwieldy in its geography, would probably be a mute point. I don't know what the beef is now that all of North Fulton is in one city or another EXCEPT for the school system. If Fulton County Schools were divided into north and south, I doubt the desire for a Milton County would get as much steam. Cities cannot create school systems in GA, only counties.
The schools in North Fulton are some of the newest in the state. Those palaces were built in the last eight years. The schools system is run by North Fulton residents. There are five of seven folks representig North Fulton on the school board. What possible complaint could a parent have in North Fulton about the schools? You guys get all the latest schools, technology and frills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-17-2012, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Georgia native in McKinney, TX
6,911 posts, read 9,594,157 times
Reputation: 5313
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesr1991 View Post
The schools in North Fulton are some of the newest in the state. Those palaces were built in the last eight years. The schools system is run by North Fulton residents. There are five of seven folks representig North Fulton on the school board. What possible complaint could a parent have in North Fulton about the schools? You guys get all the latest schools, technology and frills.
Sorry, not a "you guys" just an observer of trends and attitudes in my hometown. To have one school district running schools in South Fulton and North Fulton completely dissected by the city of Atlanta does lead to some odd circumstances not faced by any other district in the state. I am sure that the attitudes that led north Fulton residents to incorporate as cities would be the same ones that would want to see local control of their schools as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-19-2012, 01:48 PM
 
538 posts, read 755,153 times
Reputation: 319
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
Right, you rather have your own racial politics and squandering of money
Two great articles in the AJC today about Fulton County Government......one article, regarding the allocation of sales tax funds between the County and City governments within the county, states that Fulton County had to pull $89 million out of reserves this year to fund operations. The next article talks about how Fulton County employees making less than $59,000 are all getting bonuses.....in this economy. And you wonder why the folks in the northern regions of the county want to become Milton County......LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top