U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 10:53 PM

91 posts, read 437,807 times

Advertisements

They are a little bit different than the ones I've seen in Jersey. They are lazy and slow. You turn on the light and they stay put. Or they walk real slowlike.
I just contribute it to the laid back type of personality that is custom to the South. They are a lot easier to kill.
In Jersey you turn on the light and like lightning, they are gone.
One thing though. They are huge here. Good lord, I've seen some 2 1/2 to 3 inches. Big I tell ya, but real slow like.
We have 1 or 2 that show up every 3 weeks or so.
I've heard the Boric Acid works great and is non toxic too.
Tell the seller you have another house in mind. They will come around. Remember it is your market, not theirs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 06:20 AM
JPD

11,849 posts, read 14,462,248 times
Palmetto bugs are the big ones, I think. It's the little light brown ones thare are REALLY nasty.

I've used boric acid, too, with good results.

Old 07-13-2007, 06:39 AM

1,123 posts, read 5,616,241 times
I had the unpleasant experience in our "new" house of finding out the addition had crown mouldings FILLED with palmetto bug droppings! Nauseating! The pest control company said they would need to drill holes in the walls and puff some powder pesticide in there, but we did not want to do that. I'm hoping they were old droppings b/c we have only seen one so far, and it was dead as a door nail. Agree with above in that you need to seal everything up with caulk as much as possible.

Old 07-14-2007, 06:37 AM

289 posts, read 736,443 times
Having a pond/lake may be a contributing factor. That is why they call them water bugs, they like water.

Old 07-17-2007, 01:07 PM

67 posts, read 268,718 times
Default Update!

We didn't buy the house. The exterminator even said it was the worst residential infestation he'd ever seen (after I questioned him again). I couldn't do it, even if we did get rid of them I think being near the water was probably a bad choice for us anyway (little ones and a mom with severe bug phobia). Back to square one lol... but thanks for the advice everyone!

Old 07-17-2007, 01:08 PM

67 posts, read 268,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrencevilleGA View Post

They are a little bit different than the ones I've seen in Jersey. They are lazy and slow. You turn on the light and they stay put. Or they walk real slowlike. .
You're not kidding about that either. They took a few inspection pictures and they were just hanging out in the crawl space. Um...arent roaches supposed to scatter....they didn't get the memo lol

Old 07-17-2007, 01:11 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,054,907 times
I would never by a house "as is" unless it was the steal of the century. It is a 100% buyers market out there. Don't get stuck with a lemon, especially a lemon with bugs. ugg.

Old 07-17-2007, 03:26 PM

3 posts, read 11,426 times
Hello,

I have a "roach" question, too, and this seems the best place to post it ---

I've just moved to the NE Atlanta suburbs, and am buying a lovely home. However, it will take several weeks to close on the house, and, in the meantime, I'm living in a studio apartment that has a few roaches! I kill every one I see, but I surely don't want to accidentally infest my new house with roaches from this apartment. It's not practical, with closing so near, to move to another apartment (fees, etc., would be duplicated). How can I keep the roaches from coming with me when I move into my new home?

Home-to-Dixie

Old 07-17-2007, 03:30 PM

3 posts, read 11,426 times
Boric acid for roaches? How do you apply it? Is it powder, or is it liquid?

Old 07-17-2007, 03:39 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,054,907 times
powder...and no, you shouldn't worry about bringing them with you. Just make sure and check your boxes because that's where they seem to congregate. The sooner you get rid of your boxes, the better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or