U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2010, 01:01 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,147,894 times

Advertisements

^^ Didn't Mr. Russell do the Publix originally? Nevermind found it

Quote:
[LEFT]Historic Westside Village was launched in 2005 by Russell New Urban Development LLC, the development arm of H. J. Russell & Co. The project is part of a historic Atlanta community of churches and schools on Martin Luther King Jr. Drive, including Morris Brown College. The area is also about a a mile from downtown Atlanta.

Read more: Walmart set for Historic Westside Village | Atlanta Business Chronicle
[/LEFT]
Great guy actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2010, 01:05 PM

4,147 posts, read 5,743,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
I bet it will be similar to the one on Northside or a multi-story version of the one in Chamblee chamblee walmart - Google Maps

Bing Maps

Better view of the lot. Much smaller parking lot and I like how they are surrounded by other businesses. That could work at that shopping center here.

The one in Chamblee is two story as well? hard to tell from the street view and Bird's eye view.

I'm assuming the Publix will be tore down.

OT: Anyone have any idea where the Busy Bee will be moving? I heard a rumor, they were looking for a bigger location...

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM

13,146 posts, read 15,944,942 times
For what it's worth, Wal-Mart has reinvented itself rapidly in the past few years. The newer stores, while still large, are fantastically "green." It has changed it's labor and merchandising practices. With the rural/suburban market in the U.S. maxed out, it is expanding in new areas -- Latin America and China are huge growth areas for them. In Great Britain, they're not even called Wal-Mart (I have a niece who lives in London). The Howell Mill store was the first "urban" Wal-Mart in the country and a prototype for the future. Wal-Mart CEO Mike Duke is from Fayette County and a Ga Tech grad, so it makes sense they would use Atlanta as the test market for their next generation of stores, which this sounds like it will be. That they are willing to go into an area no other retailer will take a chance on deserves praise, not condemnation. I wish them the best.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:06 PM

747 posts, read 1,265,891 times
Wow I hadn't seen the Chamblee Wal-Mart before. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed from a design standpoint. Although you have to admit they are pretty behind Target in that arena.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:11 PM

13,146 posts, read 15,944,942 times
Yes, the new and remodeled Walmart stores are VERY VERY nice. People who are so critical of them haven't been in awhile -- if at all.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:14 PM

3,129 posts, read 5,147,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
For what it's worth, Wal-Mart has reinvented itself rapidly in the past few years. The newer stores, while still large, are fantastically "green." It has changed it's labor and merchandising practices. With the rural/suburban market in the U.S. maxed out, it is expanding in new areas -- Latin America and China are huge growth areas for them. In Great Britain, they're not even called Wal-Mart (I have a niece who lives in London). The Howell Mill store was the first "urban" Wal-Mart in the country and a prototype for the future. Wal-Mart CEO Mike Duke is from Fayette County and a Ga Tech grad, so it makes sense they would use Atlanta as the test market for their next generation of stores, which this sounds like it will be. That they are willing to go into an area no other retailer will take a chance on deserves praise, not condemnation. I wish them the best.
The Wal-mart on Howell Mill is part of a larger commercial complex, not stand alone. It also looks crappier inside with less friendly people with less items in stock. Then its pricier to boot. Yes, the building and parking deck look nice but it is just a mask.

They continue to buy everything chinese, squeeze out Americans and sell cheap crap here. Then they say "oh we provide jobs" but they hurt MORE jobs with their practices.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:15 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,740,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
The Walmart will only close the few remaining business around that serve the community. Leaders need to get through their idiotic heads that WAL-MAT if not a community savior. It is quite the opposite. The only reason for it is b/c its cheap. The area is BAD, it needs a lot of help. A Wal-Mart won't fix it like they thought the Publix would fix things.

I bet the Wal-Mart doesn't or can't even hire people in the area. Rather people that work there will be from elsewhere. Hopefully students can get a job.

Look at the city website! Horrid
Home - Vine City

They need more help!
NO grocer from Publix to Piggly Wiggly were interested in being in a neighborhood that has about 50,000 residents (including the AUC students) within a few square miles of the location of the new Walmart

What business would you be speaking about? Aside from the three barber shops around the intersection of Ashby, err, Lowery and MLK along with the Busy Bee cafe and Food For Life, what other restaurants/retailers are worth keeping in that area?

That broke down bodega on the corner of MLK that I'm pretty sure is a front for drug dealing? The McDonalds or KFC that has been poisoning the neighborhood for decades?

Walmart, despite their horrible reputation, is stepping up to offer an actual grocery store to 50,000 residents of the city who currently do not have a viable option for buying food in their own neighborhood.

Unless it is a privately owned food co-op ran by hippies, every grocery store chain is a faceless, ruthless, cut throat, employee abusing, China product using operation. The difference is, none of them thought that their presence in the Vine City/Ashby Heights/AUC area was worth the time or money. Walmart did.

Is it the best option? No, but I spent a lot of time in that neighborhood when I was a kid and attended Morehouse, so I've seen it's terrible decline over the last 30 years. This is one of the best things to happen to the area in a very long time and I wish them all the success.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:19 PM

7,797 posts, read 11,740,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Wow I hadn't seen the Chamblee Wal-Mart before. Gotta say I'm pretty impressed from a design standpoint. Although you have to admit they are pretty behind Target in that arena.
Definitely. I always point to the Target in Buckhead on Peachtree as the perfect example of how to do big box retail in the middle of the city.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:23 PM

2,564 posts, read 3,590,083 times
Does anybody think that the Wal Mart on Howell Mill contributed to the boom on the west side along Marietta and HM over the past few years? I think it did. The place was starting to come to life prior to it being built but it absolutely exploded after it opened. Of course Atlantic Station contributed to this as well.

I think the WM on MLK may have a similar effect on that end of town. Maybe not as dramatic but I can see it improving things a bit and making the neighborhood more attractive to investors.

Wal Mart gets beat on quite a bit and for many good reasons but I never understood how a lot of people just absolutely hate the company.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:31 PM

Location: Originally from Cali relocated to Inman Park/Old 4th Ward/Westside Atlanta
987 posts, read 3,454,197 times
Default Busy Bee

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Bing Maps

OT: Anyone have any idea where the Busy Bee will be moving? I heard a rumor, they were looking for a bigger location...
Busy Bee is suppose to move across the street in the new retail development http://www.hjrussell.com/development...lsonStreet.htm that HJ Russell is developing that will surround WalMart in a much larger space.

Last edited by Atlantasfinest; 12-13-2010 at 01:40 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta