U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-14-2010, 04:41 PM

11,512 posts, read 15,640,679 times

Advertisements

my car's AC broke down in 2000 so i've been riding around without it because it's going to cost me over $300 for them to get to a little burned out wire and replace it again

i just open the windows when i go to and from work. if i go to manhattan i take public transit which most of the time has AC

I have a 6th floor apartment and i wait until i feel like i'm gonna die from the heat until the super puts the AC in the window for me(I use a fan starting in May). the papers publish public cooling centers people can go to during the summer. not sure if Atl does the same
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2010, 04:51 PM

3,625 posts, read 2,896,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlrl View Post
my car's AC broke down in 2000 so i've been riding around without it because it's going to cost me over $300 for them to get to a little burned out wire and replace it again

i just open the windows when i go to and from work. if i go to manhattan i take public transit which most of the time has AC

I have a 6th floor apartment and i wait until i feel like i'm gonna die from the heat until the super puts the AC in the window for me(I use a fan starting in May). the papers publish public cooling centers people can go to during the summer. not sure if Atl does the same
My friend (boyfriend, whatever, it was kind of a weird relationship) didn't have a car. He just used the subway, and did a LOT of walking. He's very tall and took long steps, and I am 5'6, but was wearing high heels (I saw too much Sex in the City, I guess =P ), taking about 3 steps to his every one, so I got a work out just trying to keep up with him! We were taking the subway one time, and he went through the turnstile, passed his card to me, and he just kept on a-walking, while I was yelling at him to wait, because I couldn't figure out how to get the card to go in! And then once in the subway, I was sitting down, and he told me to wait there, he was going to check if the faster train was coming soon so we could switch. While he was away, I went into panic mode imagining myself stuck alone riding on the subways of NYC, LOL. He made it back in time, though.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:14 PM

Default so you were raised

in Bergen County Nj then moved to Atl?

Old 12-14-2010, 05:16 PM

We are posting at the same time. I missed all this! Ha, yes I'm a transplant. Though I've been here for most of my life, now (except for college and a few years in Florida)

Quote:
from a collision with a pickup trick that was towing some kind of landscape materials, ran a red light on wet pavement. car was totalled but she walked away from it. on rte 92 near the Woodstock Senior Center. air bag saved her. she thinks the drivers in the area are as bad or even worse than what we were used to in the NY City suburbs
Not surprised. Drivers here can be very aggressive, and there are certain unspoken rules, like "never turn on your turn signal until just before you change lanes." If you turn your signal on too soon, everyone speeds up so you can't merge in. And if you're trying to pull out or merge over in traffic, good luck trying to make eye-contact with anyone, to let you in! People stare straight ahead.

And 400 is a deathtrap, I tell ya! I got into two accidents within months of each other, coming off the Windward ramp (Alpharetta), and a car suddenly slammed on her brakes in front of me (it's GA law to give anyone who rear-ends someone a ticket for "following too closely", but I contested that in court, and WON). My car had over $5,000 damage to it (thank god for insurance!!!), and a week after I got it out of the shop, on my birthday, I was rear-ended on 400 on the exit ramp to Holcomb Bridge. The girl who hit me was talking on her cellphone. I didn't bother to get my car fixed, the only damage was an imprint of her license plate holder on my rear bumper. She asked me what year my car was, and I said it's a 2002. She said "Wow! It looks brand new!" I said "It pretty much is! Had the entire front end replaced just a couple weeks ago!

The moral of this story is "avoid 400 at all costs. And never ride in a car with Neemy."

My uncle came in from LA a few years ago, and he was saying that LA traffic had nothing on Atlanta. And he could not figure out the I-20 loop, and we were having the hardest time trying to explain it to him!

Quote:
( a nice neighborhood mind you) i know the Atlanta area fairly well. my brother lived on Ashford Dunwoody Rd for a few years. now he's in Roswell across from the school and park on Woodstock Rd.
He's probably not far at all from me.

Quote:
we were dining out in a wrap place for lunch a few years ago and we were talking about the old times in the NY suburbs. A couple was next to us and overheard us talking about NY. they told us they were from Westchester County. area seems like it has a lot of transplants
Yep. LOTS of transplants, here. I don't think I know anyone who is actually from metro Atlanta, come to think of it. If it wasn't for this forum, I'd say nobody was. (kidding!)

Quote:
i like the architecture of the stores in the area. even a mundane place like Mc D's or Arby's are made of brick. where we lived in NY lacked character, all slapped together
That's a pretty nice area, up there, around Mtn Park. The strip malls are all landscaped nicely, and the architecture is nice, I agree! It's not like that all over, though. That's fairly recent development up there.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
in Bergen County Nj then moved to Atl?
I grew up all over, really. I was a navy brat. We lived in Highlands (Monmouth County, IIRC?), then moved down to Vineland (south Jersey). Then to the Atlanta area.

Old 12-14-2010, 05:52 PM

Default if you

remember the NJ Palisades, I live across the Hudson River from Alpine/Tenafly NJ in Riverdale in the Bronx, remember the Rockefeller and Alpine look out salong the Palisades Pkwy, look across the river and there I am

Old 12-14-2010, 06:01 PM

Quote:
remember the NJ Palisades, I live across the Hudson River from Alpine/Tenafly NJ in Riverdale in the Bronx, remember the Rockefeller and Alpine look out salong the Palisades Pkwy, look across the river and there I am
It's been a while since I've been to NJ (except for NWK airport)... I spent a day at the Hudson. So you live across from where the Battery is? I was trying to figure out what I was seeing from there.

edit:

Oh, wait, nevermind. I forgot you're in NY!!

Old 12-14-2010, 06:03 PM

Default my brother works for Evercare Company in

Alpharetta. I remember 2 years ago i went shopping at the Northpoint Mall on black Friday of all days. My dad passed away in the house a few days later so the area has a lot of sentimental value for me tho i don't live there

Old 12-14-2010, 06:08 PM

Default Manhattan Island

is 12 miles N-S from the battery to Inwood Hill park. I am about 2 miles north of that point so I'm about 14 miles north of the battery

across from the battery is like Bayonne, NJ more or less

Fort lee, NJ is across from Washington heights (178th street), Edgewater is across from harlem (125th street), Weehawken NJ is across from midtown and the Lincoln Tunnel and on down till you get to the battery

Old 12-14-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Alpharetta. I remember 2 years ago i went shopping at the Northpoint Mall on black Friday of all days. My dad passed away in the house a few days later so the area has a lot of sentimental value for me tho i don't live there
The Northpoint Mall area has really boomed. Last time I went there, I got lost. There used to be almost nothing out that way.

I'm sorry about your father.

Quote:
is 12 miles N-S from the battery to Inwood Hill park. I am about 2 miles north of that point so I'm about 14 miles north of the battery

across from the battery is like Bayonne, NJ more or less

Fort lee, NJ is across from Washington heights (178th street), Edgewater is across from harlem (125th street), Weehawken NJ is across from midtown and the Lincoln Tunnel and on down till you get to the battery
Ah, thanks for finally answering my question! I couldn't believe my friend didn't know what it was, and he was born and raised in NYC (though in Manhattan)! We could see Long Island (I think it was...) across the water from our window in Highlands.

I'm going to have to go through all my pics from my trip and try to piece that all together. I took about 300 or so, at least!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta