Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 02:31 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
But there's obviously a big difference between Alpharetta and Midtown.
True, although there's just as much or more difference between Midtown and most places inside the Perimeter. You've got many sections beyond 285 that are more densely developed than those inside 285.

That's why the "ITP vs. OTP" thing is bogus. You really have to look at specific locations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,083,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Yeah, I know, but if I have to get on 285 tho get there, I'd rather stay in my neck of the woods.
No need to travel on any interstates if you don't want to. There are many routes between the suburbs and the City of Atlanta that don't require them.

Old 12-17-2010, 07:27 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
No need to travel on any interstates if you don't want to. There are many routes between the suburbs and the City of Atlanta that don't require them.
I'm aware, but a 10 minute drive from my house in Tucker to Perimeter Mall on 285 would take a half hour, on a good day, if I took surface roads.

To Alpharetta or Roswell, the time difference would be even worse.

I don't have that much time on my hands. Besides, there's really not anything there that I can't get (or experience) quicker, easier and probably cheaper within a five mile radius of my home, or within a short walk from my office.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:44 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,640,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyCrane View Post
I used to think that before I moved here. But I've met quite a number of people who talk in those terms. I've even noticed a certain elitism about it. Some of the ITP people look down on anything OTP and vice versa. Obviously, I don't think these people are typical of what you'd find in Atlanta. The point is that it isn't just on a forum like where you see people drawing the ITP/OTP distinction.
Let me start by saying that I am a big Atlanta fan. I am a recent transplant from NYC living in Vinings, and I really don't get the elitism of the "in-towners" because honestly Atlanta feels like one "big suburb" anyway (in-town included). The city does have potential but the "powers that be" must find a way to inject some life and energy into the streets of downtown/midtown in order for Atlanta to be taken serious as a cosmopolitan city. Riding down Peachtree feels like the set of "I Am Legend" at times, it's like a ghost town. Atlanta is for the most part very clean and beautiful (especially compared to NYC), but still has a long way to go before it's in-town residents can look down on the suburbanites.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:49 PM

292 posts, read 635,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glovenyc View Post
Atlanta...still has a long way to go before it's in-town residents can look down on the suburbanites.
Very true.

Old 12-26-2010, 03:53 PM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
but still has a long way to go before it's in-town residents can look down on the suburbanites.
I fail to see any reason why this should be a laudable goal.

Old 12-26-2010, 05:49 PM

32,022 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
...still has a long way to go before it's in-town residents can look down on the suburbanites.
I live in town but have
always had the sneaking suspicion folks in the suburbs were looking down their noses at us poor slobs in the city.

Old 12-26-2010, 11:19 PM

262 posts, read 637,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I live in town but have
always had the sneaking suspicion folks in the suburbs were looking down their noses at us poor slobs in the city.
Oh yeah. I observed this when I worked with mostly suburbanites. It is what it is--I didn't want to trade places with them any more than they wanted to with me. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 12-27-2010, 02:02 PM

1,123 posts, read 6,537,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I live in town but have
How ironic, as I've noticed the total opposite! Ha ha. I've lived in both and like them both the same. It's kinda hard to paint with a broad brush b/c not all ITP/OTP neighborhoods are equal in terms of desirability.

Old 12-28-2010, 10:22 AM

8,518 posts, read 15,640,686 times
I don't know what it's like here in Atlanta, but I know having lived in other cities that a big reason why folks in the suburbs look down on the city folk is because of race, class, and political views. If you go to the burbs, it tends to be more white, more upper and middle class, and more conservative. Again, I don't know how true that is of Atlanta, although judging by some of the threads I see here, it seems like there are definitely issues when it comes to race.

I've driven around both parts of the city and I agree that there are areas ITP that feel like they belong in the suburbs. Likewise, there are parts OTP that feel more like they should be in the city. Atlanta is no NYC and personally I'm glad it isn't. But I've been to cities that make Atlanta feel like NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta