Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 08:07 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
What's the problem with North DeKalb Mall, by the way? It's in a fantastic location with excellent demographics all around. Seems like that's the sort of place that would really be bustling if they got their act together.
If you live near there, it's too easy to get to Lenox. Quality retailers know people are willing to drive a little further, so opening more stores will not benefit their bottom line.

The same problem is true for Northlake. People who live in Tucker/Northlake can easily go to Perimeter, and people who live in Oak Grove can easily go to Lenox. So despite the fact that these areas range from middle class to affluent, what incentive is there for any name brand retailer to open a store in Northlake?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2010, 09:05 AM

16,701 posts, read 29,526,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
If you live near there, it's too easy to get to Lenox. Quality retailers know people are willing to drive a little further, so opening more stores will not benefit their bottom line.

The same problem is true for Northlake. People who live in Tucker/Northlake can easily go to Perimeter, and people who live in Oak Grove can easily go to Lenox. So despite the fact that these areas range from middle class to affluent, what incentive is there for any name brand retailer to open a store in Northlake?
Northlake Mall needs to follow the the same plan as Cumberland Mall. There is a need and it can be done. And it would succeed.

North DeKalb Mall should just focus on becoming a locally-based power center or life-style center--and it should be renamed!*

*Shamrock Center, Eastridge Center, Valley Brook Center, etc...?

Last edited by aries4118; 12-21-2010 at 09:49 AM..

Old 12-21-2010, 09:12 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 912 View Post
Common sense tells me that wifi should be parceled out to paying customers according to how much they spend. Small coffee = 30 mins free wifi. Large coffee, an hour. The code to access the wifi would come printed on your receipt.

I'm surprised more businesses haven't moved to this model yet.
Excellent idea. The more money you spend, the more online time "credits" you get. Would be a good compromise.

My Sister just informed me she did every single bit of her shopping online this year, but the one bad thing is that two of the items came in either in incorrect sizes or with something else wrong. She now has to go through the trouble of re-ordering again with "rush" shipping, and later will have to rebox the items to return and ship them back.

This is the one issue I have with online shopping... problems like hers, where there is no physical store you can just return something to in order to swap it out quickly for a replacement. This is why my general rule of thumb is that for decent-sized purchases, I'll only order online if the site/store actually has physical stores as well where I can return items if there's a problem. Costco, Best Buy, JCPenny, etc etc... stores that are JUST online stores I limit to things like books, DVDs, games, etc.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:33 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,295,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
Northlake Mall needs to follow the the same plan as Cumberland Mall. There is a need and it can be done. And it would succeed.

I agree that it can succeed. I believe that Simon Malls (which also manages Lenox and Phipps) and Northlake need to sever their relationship before anything positive will happen there. Simon obviously know how to manage a mall successfully, so I can only conclude that they are choosing not to give Northlake the resources it needs to be the mall that area residents want it to be.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:48 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
[quote=atlantagreg30127;17084612]Excellent idea. The more money you spend, the more online time "credits" you get. Would be a good compromise.

quote]

But wouldn't that punish the simple folk on this forum that like plain old (cheap) coffee?

Old 12-21-2010, 10:18 AM

5,185 posts, read 7,567,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MathmanMathman View Post
Public libraries, at least in Atlanta, are being beset by the homeless. The main library downtown is so run down that I don't even want to touch anything when I go in. A coffee shop in a public library won't have the right clientele if it is not in an upscale location for its high-end stuff. Coffee shops do seem to work in university libraries when access is somewhat restricted from the public. Of the public libraries I've been in in both Fulton and Dekalb, they look sad.
Yea I know what you mean. Central Library is total bumfest!! Especially in the wintertime.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:49 AM

747 posts, read 1,544,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyiMetro View Post
Yea I know what you mean. Central Library is total bumfest!! Especially in the wintertime.
Lol I always feel like I stand out like a sore thumb in there. It is like a de facto shelter. But what are you going to do, it is a public space.

Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
People would go nuts in Atlanta is we had even 10 square blocks of streetscape like that.

I know everyone knows but it's worth pointing out the vast majority of buildings in NW Washington are low and midrise structures. That's the fastest way to urbanize a city. In my opinion Atlanta would be well served if it built no more tall buildings for the next couple decades but rather focused on low and midrise structures to fill in the gaps and give the streets more life.
Amen bro. It would be cool to see some of the area between Peachtree and the Connector through midtown and downtown become a little more lively. Some spots are starting to break through(the 5th St GT development for example) but it would be nice to see some more spreading out in both directions from there.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:19 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Me too. I wouldn't be bothered by this in the least if it weren't for the fact that we're going to be stuck with empty shopping malls, which will eventually be unsecured/unpoliced and will attract crime and degrade surrounding residential areas.
Just turn 'em into paintball venues.

Old 12-21-2010, 12:27 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,911 times
I'm a little ambivalent towards places like B&N and Borders. I abuse my local B&N by spending countless hours there studying and maybe buying a cup of coffee once a month. I wish this city had an independent bookstore that included a cafe, or at least an area to hang out. I'd feel more obligated to buy things regularly and I could maintain my hipster cred at the same time. I've mentioned this place before in another post: Shop Housing Works

That place is part used bookstore(they sell music and movies too), performance venue, and cafe(coffee as well as alcohol). I'm not entirely sure Atlanta could support a place like that but there is a possibility and I think it needs a place like that. I have a feeling it would do well in Decatur or somewhere in the Poncey Highland area.

Arjay, you wanted to get another business venture going right? 912 seems like an astute businessman/woman. Business manager? I'll book the entertainment, do the publicity, and donate all the books I own but will never get around to reading to get us started.

What do ya say?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta