Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2007, 02:44 PM

3 posts, read 57,098 times

Advertisements

Considering Stockbridge; what area would be nice for a African American family of 4. We are looking for a nice, clean, diverse family oriented neighborhood. Someone please respond anyone!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2007, 04:09 PM

3 posts, read 57,098 times
can anyone please tell me if stockbridge ga is the place people r makeing it out to be? is it a place an african american famely of 4 could settle.how diverse is it?.we realy want to be some were quite and safe!!!! with no crime......some one please give me a hit.!!!!! thank you. thinking of stockbridge.

Old 07-14-2007, 04:45 PM

214 posts, read 1,975,379 times
Well you seem anxious so I will respond. Probably by the time I finish someone else will have. I live in McDonough right near the border of it and Stockbridge. So I live more in the southern part of Stockbridge. First, let me say that I am white. There are a lot of African Americans right in my subdivision (both my neighbors are) and throughout Henry County. I'm not sure what the percentages are but you do see lots of African Americans so I would say that it is pretty diverse. As far as crime though, I think that this area is starting to have more crime. A few months ago there was a shooting at a graduation party just a little bit down the road from me in Stockbridge. I believe 2 people died. I have heard similar things as far as crime around here too. About a year ago I was at the grocery store (in southern Stockbridge) and next door there is a jewelry store. I witness 2 robbers running out of the jewelry store and hopping in a car and skidding out of the parking lot. Cops showed up within minutes. (this all happened while I was sitting in my car-NEXT TO THE CAR-with my 2 year old----thankfully no one was walking in the parking lot when they sped out because they may have gotten hit!) So this is just some of the things I have witnessed. Do I see any crime in my subdivision? No, not yet!
That said, I think wherever you do go, there is going to be some crime. Good luck with your move! If you do go the Stockbridge route you may want to check out the Eagles Landing area (Exit 224 Hudson Bridge/Eagles Landing Pkwy) That area seems pretty nice and new. Not sure what you are looking at as far as price range for a home or that but it is nice there.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:05 PM

4 posts, read 32,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KrF1973 View Post
can anyone please tell me if stockbridge ga is the place people r makeing it out to be? is it a place an african american famely of 4 could settle.how diverse is it?.we realy want to be some were quite and safe!!!! with no crime......some one please give me a hit.!!!!! thank you. thinking of stockbridge.
I don't think that there is any place in the United States where there is no crime. As the economy worstens there will be an increase in crime. Robbers and theives may not live in you neck of the woods but would find themselves there. So as long as you don't live in the hood you are OK. I am looking at Union City or Fairburn and there is some crime there, but I am not really worried. I live in Ft. Lauderdale and it is nice here, and there have been a rash of robberies and police shootings here as well, it will scare you if you read the news. But I would not scare anyone from moving here.

Old 11-17-2007, 07:46 AM

75 posts, read 552,627 times
I live in Stockbridge just down the road from where those kids were killed. Normally it is very quiet around the area. The people that disrupted the party were from outside the area...riding around looking to create trouble. I have been here for 3 years and I pretty much like it here...it is relatively quiet. I am looking to move to a larger house...and I am looking in the immediate area. There is a new WalMart on Hudson Bridge...less crowded and easy to get in and out. If you need more info...you can pm me.

Old 11-17-2007, 05:20 PM

6 posts, read 45,325 times
Quote:
I live in McDonough, GA and work in Stockbridge, GA and have been here for 3+ years. I am white and live in a subdivision where homes are priced $400+ and I would say that about half of the residents in this community are african-american. I guess that would suggest diversity! There is mild to moderate crime but I never feel unsafe or nervous driving around town day or night. My family moved here from Gwinnett County which is north of Atlanta ... I certainly miss the Mall of GA and the restaurants that started popping up in my area, but one positive thing I can say is that the people in Henry County are super-friendly, nobody seems to "meet a stranger" and I like that. I just drive to Lenox or Phipps to get my shopping-restaurant fix.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:16 AM

8 posts, read 40,862 times
We work with a lot of people relocating to the Stockbridge and McDonough areas. We really follow up with our clients for feedback as far as transition, neighborhoods, etc. This is how we keep our new clients up on the local markets and what is happening. I can tell you that over the past year those that we have moved into Stockbridge have no complaints.

Stockbridge is diverse. I am white, most of our clients are African American. As far as crime, it is everywhere. We spend a lot time driving the streets and have never felt unsafe. People just need to be aware of the surroundings, no matter where in the COUNTRY you live.

Best of luck with your move, we would love to have you in Stockbridge.

Old 03-01-2008, 06:46 PM

1 posts, read 26,905 times
Quote:
Considering Stockbridge; what area would be nice for a African American family of 4. We are looking for a nice, clean, diverse family oriented neighborhood. Someone please respond anyone!!!!!

I live in Ellenwood Ga, the part that's inside of Henry County. It's like two miles from stockbridge. Seriously, I have a friend that lives 5 minutes from me that lives in Stockbridge. Stockbridge is very diverse. I attended Stockbridge High School last year, and although there was a majority of African-Americans, there were plenty of Hispanics and Whites. There are few Asians in the area.

As for crime: I knew Shika and Brooke. The two that were shot at the graduation party. I grew up with them. It was very difficult and shocking that something like this would happen so close to home. I've never known anyone before this to have ever died at a young age.I was quite upset and depressed for awhile, but as the saying goes, you never get over someone dying you just get used to it. A few monthes afterwards, Joe White was hit by a drunk driver while he was walking on the side of the road. He sat beside me in geometry at Stockbridge High School. Recently, there has been meth lab drug busts in Stockbridge. There are sexual predators, and robberies are happening as well. If someone in the area wants pot, it is not hard to find. The schools of Henry County aren't like they were 10 years ago. Kids these days thinks that it's cool to shoot guns in the air while at parties while at the same time they are possibly intoxicated.

You will find that in a growing suburban area, there will of course be crime. Stockbridge isn't a small town anymore. Bad things happen to good people. However, it's not the worst place to live. It's not the best though either.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:29 PM

22 posts, read 144,818 times
i realize that crime is everywhere but, i DO get the heebie jeebies driving down North Henry Blvd in Stockbridge by myself at night!!

Old 07-22-2009, 05:40 PM

24 posts, read 83,649 times
For those that live in Henry County in general do you feel like the areas Stockbridge et al are worsening or will continue to improve? Does anyone have any information on Hampton or Locust Grove?

Thank you...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta