U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-15-2015, 04:19 PM
bu2
 
18,747 posts, read 9,134,405 times
Reputation: 8152

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I do agree with this. It's not just on the connector, it's every single exit only lane in existence. I see so many people sit in a lane for a mile or 2 that warns them it's exit only and by the time the exit comes up it's swerve left to stay on.
Which freeways in Atlanta do you drive on?

I can't think of any with a two mile notice. Sometimes they tell you it will happen, but they don't tell you which lanes until the last minute.

Atlanta has the worst freeway signage of any city I've ever been in.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-15-2015, 04:37 PM
 
Location: North Atlanta
5,933 posts, read 4,397,333 times
Reputation: 3480
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Which freeways in Atlanta do you drive on?

I can't think of any with a two mile notice. Sometimes they tell you it will happen, but they don't tell you which lanes until the last minute.

Atlanta has the worst freeway signage of any city I've ever been in.
GDOT follows the MUTCD like every other state is required to.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2015, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,437 posts, read 4,388,228 times
Reputation: 4517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Which freeways in Atlanta do you drive on?

I can't think of any with a two mile notice. Sometimes they tell you it will happen, but they don't tell you which lanes until the last minute.

Atlanta has the worst freeway signage of any city I've ever been in.
Maybe not 2 miles, but pretty far. Mainly 85 for the mall of GA and 316 for Sugarloaf Pkwy. It's ample time to know it's exit only. There are signs on the right, signs overhead, repeated signs, exit only painted on the roadway, etc.

Signage design is pretty much shared across the country (or at least the region), implementation can vary. The new signs I hate are the ones where the ramp has 2 lanes but only one is an exit only lane from the freeway. Couple of exits on 285 are like this. The problem is they put the "exit only" on the bottom of the sign with two arrows before the ramp splits off. This makes it look like both right lanes are exit only when it's just one. If I can remember right, EB 285 it's like this for New Northside and Ashford Dunwoody. I was riding with a friend and he nearly got over because he thought it was exit only but I corrected him. The other bad one is for Peachtree Industrial (also EB). They make it look like the far right lane is exit only for 141 SB so a lot of people don't get in the lane thinking NB will cut off later. The lane is actually exit only for NB, SB cuts off from there. Why did I mention that? Cause I've seen the same exact double arrow pointing down and to the right in other states. I know I've seen it recently in Alabama.

I like the new signs they've been putting up on 285 at 85. It shows the lanes a little clearer. Still, the old signs showed the designations in plenty of time to get over. I just drove through North Carolina and Charlotte has many of those same sign designs. Oh, and those little interstate crests they have on the pavement. I know 285 WB at 75 has them. Charlotte also has those in a lot of places.

Other than the misleading double exit only, I have no problem with the signage, just takes paying attention.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2015, 04:48 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,437 posts, read 4,388,228 times
Reputation: 4517
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulch View Post
GDOT follows the MUTCD like every other state is required to.
This is basically what I was trying to say. I figured there was some national standard.
There are some differences but I'm not sure when they're allowed or suggested. Virginia has the "no left turn" at the end of every entrance ramp. South Carolina has a lot of yield signs at the end of their ramps.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2015, 05:38 PM
bu2
 
18,747 posts, read 9,134,405 times
Reputation: 8152
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
Maybe not 2 miles, but pretty far. Mainly 85 for the mall of GA and 316 for Sugarloaf Pkwy. It's ample time to know it's exit only. There are signs on the right, signs overhead, repeated signs, exit only painted on the roadway, etc.

Signage design is pretty much shared across the country (or at least the region), implementation can vary. The new signs I hate are the ones where the ramp has 2 lanes but only one is an exit only lane from the freeway. Couple of exits on 285 are like this. The problem is they put the "exit only" on the bottom of the sign with two arrows before the ramp splits off. This makes it look like both right lanes are exit only when it's just one. If I can remember right, EB 285 it's like this for New Northside and Ashford Dunwoody. I was riding with a friend and he nearly got over because he thought it was exit only but I corrected him. The other bad one is for Peachtree Industrial (also EB). They make it look like the far right lane is exit only for 141 SB so a lot of people don't get in the lane thinking NB will cut off later. The lane is actually exit only for NB, SB cuts off from there. Why did I mention that? Cause I've seen the same exact double arrow pointing down and to the right in other states. I know I've seen it recently in Alabama.

I like the new signs they've been putting up on 285 at 85. It shows the lanes a little clearer. Still, the old signs showed the designations in plenty of time to get over. I just drove through North Carolina and Charlotte has many of those same sign designs. Oh, and those little interstate crests they have on the pavement. I know 285 WB at 75 has them. Charlotte also has those in a lot of places.

Other than the misleading double exit only, I have no problem with the signage, just takes paying attention.
I don't drive 85 in Gwinnett that often. I drive 285 a lot.

Perhaps part of the problem in Atlanta is that the freeways are very curvy. You can't see the signs very far in advance in a number of cases.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2015, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,437 posts, read 4,388,228 times
Reputation: 4517
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
I don't drive 85 in Gwinnett that often. I drive 285 a lot.

Perhaps part of the problem in Atlanta is that the freeways are very curvy. You can't see the signs very far in advance in a number of cases.
I'm only really familiar with the top end of 285. The curves, hills and trees definitely hurt. Nothing worse than coming over the crest of a hill and then seeing a sign.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2015, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Just outside of McDonough, Georgia
1,057 posts, read 920,474 times
Reputation: 1320
GDOT makes a lot of mistakes with their signs, especially the new ones put up since 2009. Also, with regards to the MUTCD, GDOT's not putting up their arrow-per-lane signs correctly in some places (exit only tabs not signed correctly, mostly; the worst offenders are on I-285 east near I-85 in DeKalb, and the Downtown Connector north as you approach 17th Street).

On another forum, user Tom958 has taken plenty of pictures describing the poor job GDOT does with its new signs:

- In Athens, there are three issues with this sign gantry. The US 78 shield is too small, the distance to exit 8 is not shown, and the arrow on the exit 9 sign is wrong.

- On this sign gantry, the shields are too small (again!), and the "To" in "To Elberton" should probably be removed.

- Back in Atlanta, this is the approach to I-85 on I-285 in DeKalb. Last I checked, two lanes of traffic do not lead to Chamblee-Tucker Road.

- I don't know what GDOT was thinking with this one.

- Not from Tom958, but look at all the empty space on this exit 29 sign on I-285. Same thing happens near exit 44. Why does GDOT make signs that have unnecessary heights, as if there's a shield to add to the sign (which there isn't)?

- Margins, GDOT! Have you ever heard of them?

I could do this all day. There were also all of those old I-85 access road signs that were rusted, peeling, and covered in wear and tear; there was a C-D user that brought that to GDOT's attention, and the signs in question have been fixed (although they're still a bit small).

- skbl17
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
5,437 posts, read 4,388,228 times
Reputation: 4517
Quote:
Originally Posted by skbl17 View Post
GDOT makes a lot of mistakes with their signs, especially the new ones put up since 2009. Also, with regards to the MUTCD, GDOT's not putting up their arrow-per-lane signs correctly in some places (exit only tabs not signed correctly, mostly; the worst offenders are on I-285 east near I-85 in DeKalb, and the Downtown Connector north as you approach 17th Street).

On another forum, user Tom958 has taken plenty of pictures describing the poor job GDOT does with its new signs:

- In Athens, there are three issues with this sign gantry. The US 78 shield is too small, the distance to exit 8 is not shown, and the arrow on the exit 9 sign is wrong.

- On this sign gantry, the shields are too small (again!), and the "To" in "To Elberton" should probably be removed.

- Back in Atlanta, this is the approach to I-85 on I-285 in DeKalb. Last I checked, two lanes of traffic do not lead to Chamblee-Tucker Road.

- I don't know what GDOT was thinking with this one.

- Not from Tom958, but look at all the empty space on this exit 29 sign on I-285. Same thing happens near exit 44. Why does GDOT make signs that have unnecessary heights, as if there's a shield to add to the sign (which there isn't)?

- Margins, GDOT! Have you ever heard of them?

I could do this all day. There were also all of those old I-85 access road signs that were rusted, peeling, and covered in wear and tear; there was a C-D user that brought that to GDOT's attention, and the signs in question have been fixed (although they're still a bit small).

- skbl17
Those US route and state route shields look like the task was given to an intern who couldn't figure out the correct size
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-16-2015, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Georgia
5,845 posts, read 4,860,422 times
Reputation: 3556
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedimenjerry View Post
I do agree with this. It's not just on the connector, it's every single exit only lane in existence. I see so many people sit in a lane for a mile or 2 that warns them it's exit only and by the time the exit comes up it's swerve left to stay on.
Really really really wish this were a ticketable offense...
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2015, 09:28 AM
 
44 posts, read 41,856 times
Reputation: 35
Default An Improved Version of my MARTA Map

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

¬© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top