U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-03-2011, 10:48 PM
bu2

1,530 posts, read 634,309 times

Advertisements

Odd that the state only added an extension to Holcombe Bridge. Adding two more miles to Northpoint Mall (which is easily the best station location in the north) would seem to make the whole addition more viable. Since the biggest obstacle is crossing the Chattahoochee, why stop just after the river?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 PM
bu2

The state did the job that Atlanta, Fulton and Dekalb should have done in putting in street improvements instead of 452 million in budget balancing sidewalk projects. At least someone is taking this effort to improve transportation seriously instead of just a wish list of projects to benefit developer and construction company friends. And they put in the MARTA north extension that seems to have been the most logical long term addition for some time (that for some reason noone else included).

Old 06-27-2011, 10:03 PM

14,877 posts, read 9,612,450 times
Wow, it looks like GDOT and the northern counties are getting serious about new rail lines. How exciting.

Transit Study Shows Support For Light Rail - News Story - WSB Atlanta

Study envisions rail transit across top of Perimeter *| ajc.com

Old 06-28-2011, 10:13 AM

155 posts, read 197,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Wow, it looks like GDOT and the northern counties are getting serious about new rail lines. How exciting.

Well maybe eventually MARTA will use the fork in the MARTA tunnel to run a line out to Cobb county.

When you are in the tunnel heading northbound right before you exit at the 75/85 split on the north end of town, MARTA built in a fork to build a line out to Cobb county. It, obviously, was never used, but it's present and ready to take traffic another direction from the North end of the tunnel.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:27 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,331,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post

Excellent!

This is the first I've heard of using heavy rail, not light rail, up 400. To me, it only makes sense. The logistics of transferring from heavy to light rail at the North Springs station seem a little rough, both on an operational and a capital basis. As long as they have space next to 400 to build the tracks without encroaching on nearby neighborhoods, I'm all for this. My only concern is what to do with the North Springs parking deck, which will very likely become much less filled.

They mentioned light rail across the perimeter, though, and I'm a bit skeptical as to how they could fit it through Sandy Springs and Dunwoody. Maybe make it a streetcar there?

Unless something horrible happens to this regionwide plan, I really really hope it passes next summer.

Old 06-28-2011, 01:37 PM

2,830 posts, read 2,451,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toll_booth View Post
My only concern is what to do with the North Springs parking deck, which will very likely become much less filled.
That's no problem to me. If a line further north comes to fruition, simply develop the adjacent land as office towers and orient the garage toward vehicle commuters--I think I've mentioned this elsewhere in this thread.

To be transit-friendly, we really need new development to occur right on top of the transit stations--you can then generate new inbound traffic (people commuting from Midtown or Buckhead, for instance) as well as outbound traffic (people driving in from a transit-inaccessible residential area, spending the morning working at the office, then taking MARTA to the airport or a meeting downtown, for instance).

Old 07-01-2011, 03:23 PM
bu2

The north Fulton mayors have said they aren't going to ask for the MARTA extension with the sales tax. Basically, the extension would cost more than their share of the sales tax. They want to spread money around on a variety of projects instead of 1 project. They also think its better to get votes when a bunch of people benefit. They weren't saying they were opposed to the extension, only that it wasn't their priority for the sales tax.

I imagine a north e-w rail line would simply fall in the 285 right of way. They could build next time 285 was due for a major renovation. Although I'm skeptical of a rail line that just goes from Kennesaw to Dunwoody. Are there really that many people going to employment in that corridor? This type of system is trying to get riders with options. And you don't attract those type of riders if you force them to transfer.

Old 07-01-2011, 03:33 PM

903 posts, read 905,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
The north Fulton mayors have said they aren't going to ask for the MARTA extension with the sales tax. Basically, the extension would cost more than their share of the sales tax. They want to spread money around on a variety of projects instead of 1 project. They also think its better to get votes when a bunch of people benefit. They weren't saying they were opposed to the extension, only that it wasn't their priority for the sales tax.

I imagine a north e-w rail line would simply fall in the 285 right of way. They could build next time 285 was due for a major renovation. Although I'm skeptical of a rail line that just goes from Kennesaw to Dunwoody. Are there really that many people going to employment in that corridor? This type of system is trying to get riders with options. And you don't attract those type of riders if you force them to transfer.
Isn't part of the point of these connections to allow for many different kinds of commutes? Maybe there aren't a number of Kennesaw-Dunwoody drivers, but there are certainly TONS of daily commuters with a Kennesaw-Cumberland trek as part of their commute. Similarly, there are plenty of commuters with a 285-ish daily commute that includes all or part of a Cumberland-Dunwoody path. I thought they were stressing something more like this rather than a direct Kennesaw-Dunwoody line. But even with that, it might create more opportunities for people to get to/from Kennesaw to MARTA and intown.

It just seems smart to create these links to help expand the transit path options throughout the metro area. Kennesaw State alone is expecting to have something like 35,000 students enrolled by 2016. And they're seriously commuting in from all over (as 75 and 575 get increasingly clusterfreaky).

Old 07-01-2011, 03:42 PM

2,348 posts, read 1,331,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bu2 View Post
Source?

Quote:
Here's a graphical list of all the proposed projects:

Mapping metro Atlanta's transportation wish list *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/news/mapping-metro-atlantas-transportation-933782.html - broken link)

Note that one of the proposals is a light rail line from Cobb County down all the way to downtown, along 41 (although if you click in most spots along that route, you'll get the road improvement proposal instead). That means that it would take only one transfer to get anywhere on the north-south heavy rail line.

The details of each project are far from being worked out. Case in point, the north 285 corridor was originally proposed as light rail but is currently bus rapid transit. For a short time, I felt that BRT was better, but now I can see pros-and-cons each way.

BTW, if my sources are correct, you realize that MARTA as we know it would cease to exist, in favor of a regional transit system?

Old 07-02-2011, 09:48 AM

337 posts, read 410,939 times
MARTA needs to extend south to Riverdale, GA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta