U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM

5,195 posts, read 6,586,809 times

Advertisements

Well the year is coming to a close. This is my 3rd year in this city. So far the experiences are getting better. So in this thread I am going to discuss things I remember this year.

We got a new mayor, dude seems to be on the grind & hit the ground running. When I first got here it was the Franklin chick & she was a lil stale.. Mayor Reed SEEMS to want to make Atlanta shine. Some may disagree.

No major transit accomplishments....that kinda sucks when I got here in 2008 it had 38 train station here it is 2011 & we still at 38 stations, no beltline, no MultiModal Station. Have any back roads been connected yet?

Sports, Cox is done, Braves had my interest. Hawks did nothing, Falcons are hot even though they took the L train tonight. I respect the Falcons even though its not my main team, it becoming a team I care for. Hope they do well.

News, Bobby Tillman death, Eddie Long being gay, Mexican drug bust, TI & his troubles. A couple of shockers that had us talking.

Music & Entertainment...Did Tyler Perry have a better year than 2009? Janelle Monae really started to get the love she deserves. I know she from Kansas City, but was here for a minute. None of the hip hop guys have my interest. I miss the Dungeon Family....well maybe Ludacris but he dont get enough love. Housewifes...meh, Tiny & Toya....meh. I know there were a few flicks shot here in 2010 so hopefully some locals got some work.

Economy, well yall tell me is it getting better? 2010 seems way better than 2008 & 2009. I can not speak for everyone else though.

So whats your take on the many topics of Atlanta 2010?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2010, 07:23 AM

4,366 posts, read 9,596,290 times
Well, I spent about 3 weeks in Atlanta in late May/June of 2010. The last time I was there was Summer 2008. To me, it seems like Atlanta has taken a turn for the worse, mainly due to the increased impact from the prolonged recession. In 2010, I didn't even feel comfortable walking around in Midtown or even Buckhead alone at night. I would have been able to do that in '08 with no problem. It could also be that I've been living in Japan for too long, where I'm just too used to going out among the crowd at night and never having to worry about my safety. I also noticed a lot more angry people during my visit in 2010, especially on the MARTA trains/CCT buses. Hopefully things will improve at least slightly when I go back there in 2011.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:28 AM

4,688 posts, read 6,989,310 times
Only post if you have lived in Atlanta at least 3+ years

The economy is better than it was in 2009.

Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,200,942 times
the economy must be getting better.....there were record breaking christmas sales this holiday

Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 AM

2,599 posts, read 3,973,008 times
One thing I noticed in 2010 compared to earlier in this decade was how little the city actually changed as far as new businesses and developments. Folks have been so used to new projects being announced and being constructed at such a fast pace. I can't recall anything of significance in that arena this year.

Also, a lot of Atlanta institutions have closed or are closing by the end of this year; Varsity Jr., Lenny's, Vickery's and several others. The Varsity closed due to some idiotic zoning dispute and Lenny's closing is a testament as to how arcane the liquor licensing laws in this city are. I think most of the rest are just victims of the crappy economy.

Reed seems like a sharp guy and I believe he is honestly trying to correct a lot of flaws in how this city is run without creating new ones.

I've been out of the loop as far as the Atlanta music scene. For some reason I get the sense that it was not the strongest year for artists from the city, especially in rock. Deerhunter got a lot of raves for an excellent album. They even got a write up in Southern Living magazine of all places. However, they seem like the only Atlanta band to have made any waves this year.

Old 12-28-2010, 11:44 AM

1,666 posts, read 2,530,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
One thing I noticed in 2010 compared to earlier in this decade was how little the city actually changed as far as new businesses and developments. Folks have been so used to new projects being announced and being constructed at such a fast pace. I can't recall anything of significance in that arena this year.

Also, a lot of Atlanta institutions have closed or are closing by the end of this year; Varsity Jr., Lenny's, Vickery's and several others. The Varsity closed due to some idiotic zoning dispute and Lenny's closing is a testament as to how arcane the liquor licensing laws in this city are. I think most of the rest are just victims of the crappy economy.

Reed seems like a sharp guy and I believe he is honestly trying to correct a lot of flaws in how this city is run without creating new ones.

I've been out of the loop as far as the Atlanta music scene. For some reason I get the sense that it was not the strongest year for artists from the city, especially in rock. Deerhunter got a lot of raves for an excellent album. They even got a write up in Southern Living magazine of all places. However, they seem like the only Atlanta band to have made any waves this year.

Did you see any positives this year.. Are was your eyes only open too things that failed ?

Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 AM

5,195 posts, read 6,586,809 times
I almost forgot about that crazy oil spill in the Gulf Coast, did they really clean that situation up? It has been very quiet on the news front. They were saying that millions of gallons of oil was just gushing out of the earth. Now I am seeing & hearing ads saying the seafood is good again & that people are back in business. I know the rig explosion did not have a major effect on Atlanta, but it was still a concern for many.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:05 PM
JPD

12,159 posts, read 15,942,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Lenny's closing is a testament as to how arcane the liquor licensing laws in this city are. I think most of the rest are just victims of the crappy economy.
There are many reasons for Lenny's closing. The liquor license laws (which I agree are arcane) is far down on the list of why they're going under.
Bad booking, bad sound, bad location and bad managment are much bigger factors in their demise.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM

2,599 posts, read 3,973,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
Did you see any positives this year.. Are was your eyes only open too things that failed ?
No. I can't honestly say 2010 was a great year for this city, at least in economic terms. That's mainly what counts in a major city not whether Housewives of Atlanta or some other crap got extended for another season You are welcome to stop pitching a hissy because I dare express my opinion and point out some of the positives you saw in 2010.

Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM

7,732 posts, read 12,800,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeandIke27 View Post
He is the eternal pessimist when it comes to this place.

Just to recap some of his points, the Varsity Jr. closed of their own choosing. They wanted to expand, and the City has new zoning in place to try and urbanize commercial zones. They refused to comply, and chose to close instead, just like a spoiled child that stomps off with their toys. They could have remained open if they had wanted to.

Vickery's still has a location in Glenwood Park.

Lenny's the victim of our supposed "arcane" liquor laws? LOL!

My take on this year is a little more positive.

The economy is improving.

The new International Terminal at the airport continues to grow towards its opening in 2012.

The Beltline is gaining momentum. People are really starting to embrace it, and the trails and parks are seriously underway now. The first phase of the beautiful new Old Fourth Ward Park is about to open, replacing former industrial wastelands.

Town Brookhaven is seriously underway adjacent to Oglethorpe University, with DeKalb's first Costco finally open. Megamart opened its first U.S. store in the former Macy's space at Gwinnett Place, and the entire area continues to rebound (thanks in no small part to the exploding Korean population out there). Super H Mart completed their first store ITP in Chamblee.

A lot of the condo towers are filling up, with Viewpoint almost full now. The Atlantic and The Brookwood are finally open, and sales are taking place.

Cox Communications is building a massive addition to its HQ's complex in Perimeter Center. The CDC continues to expand with sleek new labs under construction. We snagged several impressive new companies this past year.

I could go on, but I would run the risk of being labeled a "hysterical" booster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta