Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2010, 12:09 AM

17 posts, read 44,952 times

Advertisements

My mother is relocating to the Atlanta area as I plan to attend University in Atlanta. So I have a question about homes in the suburbs for her.

Currently we live in a suburb of DC much like that of Alpharetta or Duluth. My mother wants to relocate to Atlanta and she is looking in Buckhead but she is also looking in the suburbs because it is what we are used too. Her favorite developments are Sugarloaf CC and Country Club of the South. I was wondering what are some differences between them? Property Taxes? The country clubs? Convenient to grocery stores/essentials? The houses? Security? I know some guarded communities security is a joke and my mom would want legitimate security, like it cost money so why would you want to pay to just have guards who do nothing. And is there a difference being in Fulton vs. Gwinnett County? She is kind of open to other communities, but not really. She would never buy in Milton like areas though, she does not like those types of roads(feels to rural). Like where The Manor is she would never buy.

Facts
-My mom is about fifty, she would want to be convenient to somewhere where she could get a part time retail job. Like in a clothing store or something.
-I might commute in to Atlanta for college or may get an apartment in the city depending on the commute, It looks like CCOS is better for MARTA? I would rather MARTA than driving. I would rather live at her house than some apartment. How long do you think it would take to get from each development in to downtown at about 8am?
-My brother who is getting his golf teaching degree would live with her so the golf course is important for him.
-My sister might live with us and she would work at a hospital.
-Schools do not matter since we are all out of High school

Also is CCOS or Sugarloaf more strict? My mom would rather the HOA be strict? Where we live right now they are really strict like if the garbage can is in your driveway by garage door not even the curb you get a letter because it has to be inside with in so many hours.

Thanks

Last edited by NYC2LA2DCeventuallyATL; 12-29-2010 at 12:21 AM.. Reason: Added information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 09:12 AM

17,403 posts, read 65,528,173 times
Use the "search this forum" box at the top of the Atlanta page.
SLCC and CCOS have been cussed and discussed, hashed and rehashed several/many times!

On a personal note- CCOS.
It's quieter- a lot less celeb's (like ballplayers, singers, and other "notorious" figures).

Old 12-29-2010, 09:24 AM

1,704 posts, read 3,400,019 times
1) Property Taxes. Who cares at that price point? If I'm buying a million dollar home, I don't care about a nominal difference in property taxes.

2) Both have shopping nearby. I would say CCOS is the winner here.

3) Security enforcement, I have no clue. I would say CCOS is in a safer area. SL is in a safe area too, but Gwinnett has fringe areas that are not as nice.

4) Both clubs are private and you would have to join. CCOS is desperate for membership. Given your age (college age? and maybe your brothers) you would not be able to wrap up the kids in a family membership. Your brother would have join individually most likely (again, dependent on age). Is this a permanent move? If not, may not make sense to put down the initiation fee. Most are deferring initiation over several years.

5) MARTA - Both places are similar in distance to the MARTA lines. You will need to be at the station at 7:15 to be downtown at 8am. Earlier if you need to be at your destination at 8am. You should not hit traffic at that time in the morning. There will be a lot of cars on the road, but it should be moving. Leave just 30 minutes later and you'll be in nightmare traffic.

6) High schools always matter for resale value.

7) Hospitals are more convenient to CCOS.

8) No idea on HOA. I for one would not want a letter b/c of something I did on MY property. But that is just me.

9) Living at both of those places is fine if you don't have far to travel. Atlanta has awful traffic, especially in those areas and getting to and from Atlanta.

Old 12-29-2010, 10:02 AM

957 posts, read 3,342,407 times
Have you considered St. Marlo CC? The taxes are half that of CCOS and the security is super tight. St Marlo schools are better than Sugarloaf CC are more comparable to CC of the South than Sugarloaf CC. CC of the South homes tend to be more dated and old. I just like the location much better with St. Marlo than i do with CC of the South. Sugarloaf CC homes are newer and the location is excellent as it is close the 85 freeway. I would say that Sugarloaf CC is in the best location of all of Gwinnett County. I've seen some beautiful homes in both Sugarloaf CC and St. Marlo. Also.. if you love to eat authentic Korean food, Atlanta's K-Town is just practically minutes away from Sugarloaf CC on Pleasant Hill. That street is sort becoming the next Wilshire Blvd of Los Angeles. Gwinnett County is becoming extremely multicultural. We just a bought a new home in St. Marlo and we are really looking forward to the move. Some of the most beautiful Country Club homes are located there.

Old 12-29-2010, 01:49 PM

1 posts, read 7,828 times
As a resident of CCS, a Realtor who sells in both communities and a longtime resident of the Northern Atlanta suburbs, I feel that I have a pretty objective views of both communities. Country Club of the South is the oldest of the gated, golf communities. CCS is mores established but SLCC offers newer homes. Both communities offer similar security features and are quite strict in enforcing their covenantd and restrictions, which actually helps maintain the integrity of the communities. As far as location goes, CCS has better access to public transportation and alternative routes(both 400 and Hwy 141) to access downtown and midtown. Sugarloaf,s only realy access to the city is throught I-85 and that can sometimes be very congested. The association dues are greater in Country Club of the South because the dues covers residential amenities such as a pool, tennis courts, sports fields and playgrounds. Both communities offer fabulous Country Clubs that offer separate pools, tennis courts and championship golf courses. Tje fees for membership in these clubs are above and beyond the homeowners assocaition duess. However, in order to have access to amenities in Sugarloaf, you would have to join the separate country club in some capacity.
I hope I answered some of your questions. Let me know if you need additional information.

Old 02-03-2011, 04:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,628 times
Default thanks so much for giving detail about the manor, i was thinking about buying a home there and didnt know about about ro

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2LA2DCeventuallyATL View Post
My mother is relocating to the Atlanta area as I plan to attend University in Atlanta. So I have a question about homes in the suburbs for her.

Currently we live in a suburb of DC much like that of Alpharetta or Duluth. My mother wants to relocate to Atlanta and she is looking in Buckhead but she is also looking in the suburbs because it is what we are used too. Her favorite developments are Sugarloaf CC and Country Club of the South. I was wondering what are some differences between them? Property Taxes? The country clubs? Convenient to grocery stores/essentials? The houses? Security? I know some guarded communities security is a joke and my mom would want legitimate security, like it cost money so why would you want to pay to just have guards who do nothing. And is there a difference being in Fulton vs. Gwinnett County? She is kind of open to other communities, but not really. She would never buy in Milton like areas though, she does not like those types of roads(feels to rural). Like where The Manor is she would never buy.

Facts
-My mom is about fifty, she would want to be convenient to somewhere where she could get a part time retail job. Like in a clothing store or something.
-I might commute in to Atlanta for college or may get an apartment in the city depending on the commute, It looks like CCOS is better for MARTA? I would rather MARTA than driving. I would rather live at her house than some apartment. How long do you think it would take to get from each development in to downtown at about 8am?
-My brother who is getting his golf teaching degree would live with her so the golf course is important for him.
-My sister might live with us and she would work at a hospital.
-Schools do not matter since we are all out of High school

Also is CCOS or Sugarloaf more strict? My mom would rather the HOA be strict? Where we live right now they are really strict like if the garbage can is in your driveway by garage door not even the curb you get a letter because it has to be inside with in so many hours.

Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta