U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-31-2010, 06:50 PM
 
132 posts, read 221,888 times
Reputation: 64

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
you mean MORE humid, right? in the summer time, dallas is hotter, but also drier and breezier than much of the southeast
No, I really did mean less humid. The average December dewpoint for Dallas is 36 F and for Atlanta is 33 F. Atlanta's higher elevation (over 400 feet higher than Dallas) accounts for this. Average June dewpoint is 67 in Dallas and 64 in Atlanta.

Last edited by GAstudent; 12-31-2010 at 07:23 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-31-2010, 07:37 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,566,661 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAstudent View Post
No, I really did mean less humid. The average December dewpoint for Dallas is 36 F and for Atlanta is 33 F. Atlanta's higher elevation (over 400 feet higher than Dallas) accounts for this. Average June dewpoint is 67 in Dallas and 64 in Atlanta.
atlanta is much muggier than dallas, during the warm months. the kind of humidity you can feel on your skin

atlanta usually has a higher relative humidity than dallas in the summer

Last edited by AlGreen; 12-31-2010 at 08:10 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 08:42 PM
 
132 posts, read 221,888 times
Reputation: 64
You are right, Atlanta can feel very humid during the summer. However, Dallas is slightly more humid. Here are average dewpoints for each warm month May through September:

Atlanta: May- 56
June- 64
July- 68
August- 67
September- 62
Dallas: May- 61
June- 67
July- 68
August- 67
September- 63
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 08:44 PM
 
Location: Southeast, where else?
3,914 posts, read 4,208,516 times
Reputation: 5802
Default Altanta overall, Raleigh or Dallas second....Orlando is last

Hey, the good news is that all 4 are better than Chicago!!!! Having lived in Atlanta twice, Orlando once, and Houston once, with more than enough trips to Raleigh throughout the years, at different times of the year, I think I can weigh in on this a little.....

Atlanta is fairly temperate...the winters do get cool but, like today, they change frequently...we had to be in the upper 50's today and the other day, I was outside working in a t-shirt and jeans..........

Dallas is hot in the Summer but Dallas, unlike Houston, is more arid. It's hot and I know, I know, the cliche' its a "dry heat" is a bit tried but, you can always go out on your deck in the morning in Dallas and read the paper......can't do that in Houston year round and definitely not Orlando!!!

Orlando in the summer is plantation hot...brutal....you can cut the air with a knife in August...it's that........thick......South Florida is actually much more comfortable due to the breeze....but, walk out your door in the morning in the summer in Orlando and you will feel the sweat trickle down your back before you hit the mailbox.....yeccchh.....

Raleigh has the coolest climate of the 4 but, again, compared to Chicago???? Well, look at it this way......

Top 10 reasons any of the 4 are better:

10) You will never, ever have to shovel your car out to go to the store..
9) Winter boots or slip ons are what people up North do.......
8) Warming your car up here is a 1 minute affair.....
7) Winter hats are reserved for cousin Eddy, not anyone down here.....
6) Cars don't rust in the south....they just get dents and lots and lots of miles......
5) You actually will run trash to the street in your shorts and t-shirts down here....even in January.....
4) Rock Salt is somethign you hear about on the weather channel while never actually experiencing it....
3) Most people down here don't even know what snow shovel, sled, and ice skate look like....
2) A "cold snap" down here means it will get below 30.....at 3 in the morning when 80 percent of the population is asleep....
1) If you don't like th weather down here, stick around...it will change in 2 days....or less....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 08:46 PM
 
Location: On the brink of WWIII
21,094 posts, read 23,825,641 times
Reputation: 7812
Can tell you Raleigh is HOT and HUMID in the summer. Last 2 years averaging mid to high 90s with 80% and above humidity. Winters are ok. I hear many folks love Texas. Our niece is outside Dallas and says it is the best..?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 08:51 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, Georgia
955 posts, read 2,862,963 times
Reputation: 421
I guess i can conclude from this thread that Atlanta, Dallas, and Raleigh's weather is an upgrade from Chicago but a downgrade from Southern California? The harsh winters in Chicago is probably one of the top #3 reasons why i am moving my family to Atlanta. However I still haven't gotten over how bad the roads are compared to Chicago.

Thanks guys for your opinions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 09:10 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,566,661 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAstudent View Post
You are right, Atlanta can feel very humid during the summer. However, Dallas is slightly more humid. Here are average dewpoints for each warm month May through September:

Atlanta: May- 56
June- 64
July- 68
August- 67
September- 62
Dallas: May- 61
June- 67
July- 68
August- 67
September- 63
that doesn't sound right. atlanta usually has higher relative humidity throughout the summer. does higher RH not mean that the dew point is closer to the actual temperature, meaning there's more condensation? or am i mistaken?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 09:25 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,566,661 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Can tell you Raleigh is HOT and HUMID in the summer. Last 2 years averaging mid to high 90s with 80% and above humidity. Winters are ok. I hear many folks love Texas. Our niece is outside Dallas and says it is the best..?
the best for what?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 09:36 PM
 
132 posts, read 221,888 times
Reputation: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
that doesn't sound right. atlanta usually has higher relative humidity throughout the summer. does higher RH not mean that the dew point is closer to the actual temperature, meaning there's more condensation? or am i mistaken?
Good point about the Relative humidity! Dewpoint is the temperature to which air has to cool for vapor to condense, therefore it measures the actual amount of water in the air. Relative humidity only gives the percentage of saturations. For example, 10 degree air can have 100% relative humidity but still be MUCH dryer than 80 degree air with 60%. Atlanta's lower mean summer temperatures ensure that the relative humidity will generally be higher than that of Dallas because the warmer air in Dallas is capable of holding more water.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-31-2010, 09:46 PM
 
Location: America
5,098 posts, read 7,566,661 times
Reputation: 1934
Quote:
Originally Posted by GAstudent View Post
Good point about the Relative humidity! Dewpoint is the temperature to which air has to cool for vapor to condense, therefore it measures the actual amount of water in the air. Relative humidity only gives the percentage of saturations. For example, 10 degree air can have 100% relative humidity but still be MUCH dryer than 80 degree air with 60%. Atlanta's lower mean summer temperatures ensure that the relative humidity will generally be higher than that of Dallas because the warmer air in Dallas is capable of holding more water.
but the point i'm making is that at the end of the day, atlanta summers are muggier than dallas'. anybody that has been or lived in both cities can testify to that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top