U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 05:54 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,572,591 times

Advertisements

Having spent considerable time in both cities, they are more alike than many care to admit weatherwise. Dallas is hotter in summer hands down, BUT the rest of the year they are about the same. I was in Dallas one summer in the late 1990s when we went for 70 or 80 CONSECUTIVE days above 90 with the average August high being 99 (20 something days in one month above 100). The record that really stands out in my head that summer was 38 days with a LOW of 80 or warmer.

I know that was just one summer, but I haven't seen anything like that in Georgia. I can count on one hand the nights with lows of 80-85 here.

That withstanding, Dallas is more uncomfortable all year in my opinion. The weather can change rapidly in Georgia, but north Texas is crazy. I remember an afternoon college football game in early Nov. when it was in the 80s and when I woke up the next morning there was snow in the air! Many days in Texas and Oklahoma were spent wearing shorts at noon and coats by dinner and vice versa. Crazy temperature swings there.

Raleigh and Atlanta have the same weather.

Orlando is well, Florida. If you like wonderful winters and tropical summers with rain everyday, its your place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2011, 01:51 AM

12 posts, read 12,246 times
to say Dallas is warmer than atlanta in the winter months is a horrible ASSUMPTION. It is just that. Infact windchill is a common occurence in the North Texas area almost unheard of in Atlanta. Atlantas climates is more in line with that of east texas rather than dallas. Dallas definitley has the hotter summer but from my honest opinion 91 degrees in Atlanta in August felt worst than and 100+ day in dallas. Also keep in mind Atlanta often reaches the mid 90s in the ladder months of summer and well into september when dew points stick in the upper 70s as well as the fact that surrounding areas of Atlanta record higher temps especially those locations to the west and south as well as east. The sun is stronger in dallas but the heat is definitley much more managable. Sticky, heavy, difficulty breathing in Atlanta accompany a 80 degree day. Dallas winter weather is much more versatile than that of Atlanta. Dallas seems to be bombarded with cold fronts often varying the temperatures from week to week as happening now. Mild to warm spells followed by brutal arctic cold. Atlanta is similar on a moderate scale. Highs often bounce from 40s to as high as 70 but never rarely do highs remain in the 30s or does the temp dip below 15 degrees ever in the past 20 yrs. Dallas recieves more snow events than Atlanta as well. Atlanta is a milder more moderate climatic city than dallas in all seasons. Typical of other southeastern cities which receive significant percipitation. Dallas is a borderline semi-arid steppe and humid subtropical but it is heavily influenced by winds which can plummits the temp or rise it.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:02 AM

19 posts, read 26,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
it depends on the individual. dallas gets hotter, but it's also less humid and usually a bit breezier in the summer. the temps can rise above 100, but it's not an every day thing. "summer" does start earlier and end a bit later in dallas, though. but both cities are known for their summer storms that can sweep through and drop the temps 20 degrees in about an hour

the rest of the year is pretty much a toss-up, but dallas usually has more snowy winters. both cities generally have four seasons (you can see the crepe myrtles bloom and show fall colors in both cities )

all in all, the weather in both cities is more alike than different. especially when compared to chicago.
Dallas has snowier winters than atlanta? What? No. Dallas only snows 1 day out of the year and usually melts the next day, it barely gets 1 inch of snow.

Old 06-11-2014, 04:24 AM

3,266 posts, read 3,247,519 times
I have not read all through this thread so perhaps someone has already noted that the City vs City section of the forum would be the appropriate location for this thread topic. City vs City topics are found under the General U.S. heading at the end of the alphabetical listing of the state forums.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:12 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,033,220 times
Why do we not have an official weather and pic thread in the Atlanta forum?

To the question at hand all three cities have decent weather compared to the midwest. I would say that Orlando has the worst summer weather and the best winter weather out of these cities. Atlanta and Raleigh are pretty much the same with Dallas and Orlando being the wildcards. Overall I think Atlanta has awesome weather and enjoy the fact that we have actual seasons. When I lived in Florida I actuallly missed the foilage changing with the seasons.

Old 06-14-2014, 12:26 AM

1,804 posts, read 6,283,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
I am moving from Chicago to Atlanta next summer and i know that Atlanta's weather should be a nice upgrade in terms of weather as i hate the harsh winters. Atlanta also seems to have more of Chicago's down to earth values compared to Southern California, which is the reason we are moving to Atlanta and not SoCal. I think weather plays a big part in the quality of life you get from the city you live in.
Agree. From a native Chicagoan's perspective just be prepared for rain, "severe weather", i.e. storms which force you and your family to "take cover" at a surprisingly high frequency and a sky that does not get a deep blue like Chicago's. I didn't know these things prior to moving here from Arizona.

Old 06-14-2014, 11:42 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,926,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Agree. From a native Chicagoan's perspective just be prepared for rain, "severe weather", i.e. storms which force you and your family to "take cover" at a surprisingly high frequency and a sky that does not get a deep blue like Chicago's. I didn't know these things prior to moving here from Arizona.
Wow, I thought we all had the same sky...

Old 06-15-2014, 09:13 PM

1 posts, read 1,612 times
Elevation plays a large role in Atlanta. The south side of Atlanta can be 60 in winter and the north side 40...especially if there is a wedge coming in down the mountains. South side of Atlanta receives less wintry weather while north side receives more. Atlanta is definitely a 4 season city...and it rarely ever tops 100 in Atlanta due to elevation and the mountains. Winters can be cold... fall is usually nice and cool...and sometimes spring takes a little while to show its face...

Only downside to Atlanta and Raleigh is the summer months are not as long as Dallas... and Dallas gets much hotter than here during the summer..even Raleigh I think has more 90 degree days then Atlanta.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:37 PM

16 posts, read 13,626 times
Dallas has a lot more hot days in the summer, like three times as many hot days: I live in DFW, BTW, can confirm.
Average number of days in summer when the temperature gets to 90 or 100 F (32.2 or 37.8 C) City 90+ F 100+ F Atlanta, Georgia 32 0 Austin, Texas 78 15 Baltimore, Maryland 21 0 Birmingham, Alabama 46 2 Boston, Massachusetts 9 0 Buffalo, New York 2 0 Charlotte, North Carolina 31 1 Chicago, Illinois 12 0 Cincinnati, Ohio 19 0 Cleveland, Ohio 8 0 Columbus, Ohio 14 0 Dallas, Texas 74 16

Old 02-10-2018, 11:39 PM

2,281 posts, read 2,251,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
I can only give my $.02---in addition to extreme cold, I have heard Chicago can get pretty warm in the summer--how this compares to summer in Atlanta I cannot say.

From midJune/July to late August-midSeptember Atlanta is/can be hot and humid. North Carolina has a higher elevation, in general, and might not experience as much humidity. Closer to the coast I theoriize there is greater humidity.

The rest of the year Atlanta's climate is moderate---cold 20's-40's in the winter months--some ice and snow, not a lot--and spring and fall are very pleasant. I would think it would be much more humid in Orlando and that Dallas would be hot and humid, too, for several months.
Only the Western-most region of NC is higher than Atlanta's 1,100 feet above sea level.

I would say that 80% of North Carolina is much lower in elevation than Atlanta, although the effects that it has on the cold and the heat are different from Atlanta's...

The average weather of all seasons over a full year works out to be almost exactly like Atlanta's.

Raleigh is about 300' above sea level, and during a heat wave temperatures are more quick to reach the 100's than Atlanta.

It's also a little more humid in Raleigh on average.

But Spring arrives about 3 weeks earlier in Atlanta than Raleigh, which is influenced by stubborn NE cold that refuses to let go until mid April.

The Mountains tend to moderate the speed and voracity of fronts from the West for NC, but also can lock in a hot or cold air mass by hampering the next front ability push it out.

So in general NC experiences slightly more pronounced extremes in hot/cold temps.....

And spring arrives in Atlanta mid-March.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or