U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2012, 07:39 AM

6,611 posts, read 6,937,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
That's how I feel about Atlanta. Though there are a few pocket neighborhoods that I like, and I love Dragon Con, Atlanta isn't me.

Don't count on it. If you come to Atlanta expecting it to be anything like Chicago, you will be highly disappointed. I've tried to find things here similar to make my experience in Atlanta more enjoyable but they just aren't here. Come here with the mind that Atlanta is a different city entirely and find what you will like about it, but DO NOT come here expecting it will be like Chicago. It just doesn't compare.

The museums here are subpar at best. The High Museum of Art for example does not compare to the Art Institue by any stretch. Saying its permanent collection is mediocre is being generous. You can go to the High once and after that, there's really no need to go back except when there's a traveling exhibit that may interest you. It's actually pretty lame. The best traveling exhibits to the High have come and gone. The Fernbank Natural History Museum and its science center are a joke compared to the Field Museum and The Museum of Science and Industry. In fact, all of Atlanta's attractions are lame yet over-priced. Don't even let me get started on Atlanta's joke of a children's museum. I took my child once when she was younger and we never went back. It wasn't worth the $22 admission price.

Since you are a Chicago girl to the core like me, after spending an arm and a leg getting into Atlanta's attractions you may find yourself saying, "Was that it? I spent all that money on this?"

Unlike Chicago there aren't really many free festivals or activities. You even have to pay to use public park swimming pools and tennis courts here. If I'm not mistaken it sounds like you and your family will be moving here with a decent income, so having to spend lots of money every time you want to take your children somewhere or keeping them in activties so they won't be bored may not be an issue for you. And you can always travel to other cities.

Living in Chicago I never had to travel outside the city limits to do a thing. People say Atlanta is great because you can drive hours to the beach. Back home the beach was literally outside my back door.

What I'd suggest is that you approach Atlanta as its own unique thing and find a way for you and your family to enjoy it with what's here. Many people come here and love it. I don't so I'm biased. This is my honest assessment as a Chicagoan living in Atlanta for over 10 years. Just find a way to make it work as best you can but if you try to see Atlanta through Chicago-colored glasses, you won't be happy. Trying to approach it through a Chicago lense, what will end up happening is that you will see more and more what Atlanta lacks compared to Chicago, so if you are wanting to keep it positive, don't do that.
You advised her not to compare Atlanta to Chicago, and then you went throught and did what? Compared Atlanta to Chicago (and quite rudely I might add). Way to give advice and not follow it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2012, 07:50 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,008,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
I agree with Atlanta_BD. We moved here from Chicago 18 years ago and although Atlanta isn't necessarily a bad place, it's not anything like Chicago, which I miss dearly. If it wasn't for the weather, we'd be back in Chicago by now. We went to Chicago for vacation earlier this month and that may have been the icing on the cake. The city is better than ever and still growing! New buildings were everywhere. I dunno, do you think 18 years is long enough or should I give it a few more years before planning our return?

Look at the pictures in this thread, just amazing!! Post Your Pictures of Chicago
I went to chicago for a seminar and fell in love with it. Such huge buildings and the breeze off the lake was fascinating. The only thing I didnt like was bumper to bumper traffic and people. The magnificent mile was great!

Old 08-30-2012, 08:21 AM

668 posts, read 815,952 times
I grew up in Chicago (SW Side/Hyde Park/Lakeview) and moved to Atlanta 15 years ago. I spent the first 5 years hating it and regretting the move, but gradually came to terms with living here and now I can appreciate the city for what it is, not what it isn't. Chicago proper has a population of 2.7 million people, while Atlanta only has about 420,000, so yes, there will be obvious differences when it comes to variety of neighborhoods, attractions and festivities. However, there are enough to keep you busy.

Your experience will vary greatly depending on the part of town you live in, and your expected dependence on public transportation (tip: don't plan on depending on public transportation). If you've lived in the Chicago burbs, then you probably won't find the Atlanta burbs to be all that different. If you lived in the City and plan to move to the Atlanta burbs, you will likely be miserable. But if you lived in the City and plan to live inside the perimeter, chances are you will be able to find a neighborhood that you enjoy and fits your expectations. I know I'm repeating myself on here, but I tell people that Atlanta is typically the opposite of the usual adage - it's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit. When your first Christmas rolls around and you realize you're still wearing your light fall jacket, you might find yourself starting to agree.

Atlanta must hold some attraction to Chicagoans. After all, there are a LOT of us down here.

Old 08-30-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nast View Post
I grew up in Chicago (SW Side/Hyde Park/Lakeview) and moved to Atlanta 15 years ago. I spent the first 5 years hating it and regretting the move, but gradually came to terms with living here and now I can appreciate the city for what it is, not what it isn't. Chicago proper has a population of 2.7 million people, while Atlanta only has about 420,000, so yes, there will be obvious differences when it comes to variety of neighborhoods, attractions and festivities. However, there are enough to keep you busy.

Your experience will vary greatly depending on the part of town you live in, and your expected dependence on public transportation (tip: don't plan on depending on public transportation). If you've lived in the Chicago burbs, then you probably won't find the Atlanta burbs to be all that different. If you lived in the City and plan to move to the Atlanta burbs, you will likely be miserable. But if you lived in the City and plan to live inside the perimeter, chances are you will be able to find a neighborhood that you enjoy and fits your expectations. I know I'm repeating myself on here, but I tell people that Atlanta is typically the opposite of the usual adage - it's a great place to live, but I wouldn't want to visit. When your first Christmas rolls around and you realize you're still wearing your light fall jacket, you might find yourself starting to agree.

Atlanta must hold some attraction to Chicagoans. After all, there are a LOT of us down here.
Great post!

Old 08-30-2012, 10:44 AM

3,336 posts, read 4,002,980 times
Nast,

You make some great points. I lived in Hyde Park prior to moving here. Grew up in Beverly but have lived in various parts of Chicagoland.

I definitely agree that it depends if you want suburban versus suburban living. I lived in the burbs when I first moved here and it was hell trying to get around. I thought because this was a major city with transit that I could live the same car-free lifestlye but the lack of sidewalks and inefficiency of Marta proved me wrong. I was forced to buy a car where as I never had to drive back home even when I lived in the burbs there. I live in Buckhead and before Buckhead I lived in Virginia-Highland. Living in town definite makes living in metroAtlanta. Way more bearable. I think there is a lot of pressure to be a single family homeowner here. I chose to be a renter because I'd rather rent in the city than buy a cheap place in the burbs.

I disagree that living in the burbs in Chicago is comparable to living in the burbs here, at least with regard to transit. Oak Pak and Evanston for example are suburbs both served by CTA. Evanstonston has buses, the CTA rail and the commuter railroad. The commuter railroad in Chicago was designed to bring people living in the burbs into the city for work and all lines have downtown Chicago as their final s are two suburbs served by CTA. Evanston

Last edited by Atlanta_BD; 08-30-2012 at 11:12 AM..

Old 08-30-2012, 11:11 AM

668 posts, read 815,952 times
Quote:
Nast,

You make some great points. I lived in Hyde Park prior to moving here. Grew up in Beverly but have lived in various parts of Chicagoland.
I grew up in St. Thomas More parish around 79th & Western, and my family has since moved to Beverly. If we ever move back, that's likely where we would wind up, too. Did you attend the UofC while living in Hyde Park?

Quote:
I definitely agree that it depends if you want suburban versus suburban living. I lived in the burbs when I first moved here and it was hell trying to get around. I thought because this was a major city with transit that I could live the same car-free lifestlye but the lack of sidewalks and inefficiency of Marta proved me wrong
The same revelation happened to me. I was used to having everything I needed no less than a mile from my front door. We moved to Midtown (which my wife assured me was the closest thing to Lakeview, although it was a lot different back then), and our first week here I spent a full day walking around in vain trying to find a place to get a haircut, but getting nothing but hot, sore, and angry. I flew back up to Chicago and fetched my car a few weeks later.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:12 AM

110 posts, read 272,213 times
Atlanta vs. Chicago is a ridiculous comparison.

Chicago has a wonderful lakefront. Atlanta does not.

Chicago has a great network of bike trails all over the city and suburbs, including the Lakefront bike trail.
Atlanta has virtually nothing in terms of bike trails, unless you consider Piedmont Rd a bike trail.

Chicago has wonderful, ethnic, distinct, walkable neighborhoods, such as Rogers Park, Andersonville,
Lakeview, Lincoln Park etc. Atlanta does not really have one neighborhood where you can park the
car, get out and walk around, unless you count the intersection of Virginia and Highland.

Chicago has a thriving theater and restaurant scene, while Atlanta's theater companies are closing and
begging for money and restaurants are closing left and right.

Chicago has a wonderful public transportation system, both subway and commuter rail, that gets people
everywhere they need to go. There is no negative stigma to taking public transportation in Chicago
like there is here...(MARTA-Moving African Americans Rapidly Through Atlanta)

Most importantly, Chicago has a wonderful, hopping, exciting, dynamic downtown, with tons of workers,
tourists, restaurants and shops making for an exciting atmosphere. Atlanta's downtown couldn't be deader.
In Chicago, people support their downtown. People who live in the city support it and people in the suburbs
support it. They realize that Chicago is the economic engine that drives the entire region. Here, people
outside the perimeter could care less if Atlanta sinks into the ground. They're just as content to sit in their
gated communities and it wouldn't matter to them if they ever set foot in Atlanta.

I lived in Chicago for 4 years and wish I could go back, but I'm stuck here. I'm not sure what the appeal of
Atlanta is other than cheap housing. It's depressing as hell to go to a city like Boston, where so much is being
done to move the city forward, like building a harborwalk, then to come back here and nothing is happening.
Nothing is being done to move this region forward. Seems like we're moving backwards all the time. Cut, cut
cut. Cut funding from everything, the schools, the transportation system, everything is going to hell here. It seems
like the only solution to anything down here is to throw police at the problem. Let's just turn everything into a
goddamn police state.

Maybe I'm a bit angrier because I have to work in this downtown hellhole every day, dealing with the police, the trash
the vacant buildings everywhere and the homeless, but this city is in deplorable condition right now.

Old 08-30-2012, 11:17 AM

Most of this is false...someone is just angry, period. That's the kind of person that isn't happy anywhere.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:13 PM

3,336 posts, read 4,002,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bernsee View Post
Atlanta vs. Chicago is a ridiculous comparison.

Chicago has a wonderful lakefront. Atlanta does not.

Chicago has a great network of bike trails all over the city and suburbs, including the Lakefront bike trail.
Atlanta has virtually nothing in terms of bike trails, unless you consider Piedmont Rd a bike trail.

Chicago has wonderful, ethnic, distinct, walkable neighborhoods, such as Rogers Park, Andersonville,
Lakeview, Lincoln Park etc. Atlanta does not really have one neighborhood where you can park the
car, get out and walk around, unless you count the intersection of Virginia and Highland.

Chicago has a thriving theater and restaurant scene, while Atlanta's theater companies are closing and
begging for money and restaurants are closing left and right.

Chicago has a wonderful public transportation system, both subway and commuter rail, that gets people
everywhere they need to go. There is no negative stigma to taking public transportation in Chicago
like there is here...(MARTA-Moving African Americans Rapidly Through Atlanta)

Most importantly, Chicago has a wonderful, hopping, exciting, dynamic downtown, with tons of workers,
tourists, restaurants and shops making for an exciting atmosphere. Atlanta's downtown couldn't be deader.
In Chicago, people support their downtown. People who live in the city support it and people in the suburbs
support it. They realize that Chicago is the economic engine that drives the entire region. Here, people
outside the perimeter could care less if Atlanta sinks into the ground. They're just as content to sit in their
gated communities and it wouldn't matter to them if they ever set foot in Atlanta.

I lived in Chicago for 4 years and wish I could go back, but I'm stuck here. I'm not sure what the appeal of
Atlanta is other than cheap housing. It's depressing as hell to go to a city like Boston, where so much is being
done to move the city forward, like building a harborwalk, then to come back here and nothing is happening.
Nothing is being done to move this region forward. Seems like we're moving backwards all the time. Cut, cut
cut. Cut funding from everything, the schools, the transportation system, everything is going to hell here. It seems
like the only solution to anything down here is to throw police at the problem. Let's just turn everything into a
goddamn police state.

Maybe I'm a bit angrier because I have to work in this downtown hellhole every day, dealing with the police, the trash
the vacant buildings everywhere and the homeless, but this city is in deplorable condition right now.
A fair assessment.

Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 PM

5,189 posts, read 3,729,105 times
Quote:
A fair assessment.
It's so close to how I feel, it was scary. I was thinking, did I drink too much, create another account and post that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or