U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 01-01-2011, 10:22 AM

3,462 posts, read 7,012,002 times
The state of GA is pretty broke as well. REally broke actually. The public school systems are suffering from both revenue losses from the state and from declines in property values that impact revenues from property taxes.

I am confused. You keep speaking about Johns Creek but Johns Creek is in Fulton County yet you keep referring to Forsyth County schools.
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2011, 11:42 AM

2,535 posts, read 1,035,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Anybody move down to the Johns Creek/Alpharetta/Suwanee area from Chicago? Any regrets? I am uprooting my family and moving to the area middle of next year and want to be pretty certain i am making the right decision. I am in my early 30s with a young family.

Here are couple of things i've noticed which influenced my decision to move to Atlanta next year.

1. Overall, I see a lower cost of living in Food cost and Taxes. Taxes seem much cheaper in Atlanta than Chicago in terms of sales tax, gas, and property taxes. My townhome has a 2.3% annual property tax compared to my new S. Forsyth home which is under 1%. I believe Gwinett sales taxes are 6% while it is 9.75% here.

2. Atlanta weather seems much better than Chicago.

3. Schools in S. Foryth: elementary, middle, high schools is a huge upgrade to where i am living now.

4. As an entrepeneur, I find more opportunities in real estate investments and potentially owning the office space for my business where Chicago taxes and cost of ownership is too high.

5. As a Korean American, I'm pretty impressed with Atlanta's Korean town vs. Chicago's Korea town (lawerence ave) which is pretty ghetto considering the population of Korean living here. Having a korean community nearby and living in a multicultural area is very important to me.

6. Couple of interesting facts I've found in forbes & wikipedia are the following: 1. S. Foryth is the 19th wealthiest county in the United States 2. Atlanta, Georiga is the home to the fastest growing millionaire and korean population in the nation per percentage basis.

7. I was able to find a pretty impressive church in Alpharetta called Northpoint Community Church similar to where we attend in the Chicago area.

8. Couple of negatives I see is that the city of Atlanta is not as developed as Chicago but i am more of suburban person so this wouldn't matter as much. The thing that does bother me is how far the airport is from Johns Creek. I currently live only 10 - 15 minutes from O'Hare so it is going to take some time to get used to. The big one is the free way and road system in Atlanta. My wife thinks that the roads are terrible in Atlanta compared to Chicago. I will be working in Johns Creek so the commute is not a major issue.

I am just wondering if other Chicagians who moved to the Johns Creek/Suwanee/Duluth area who have regretted their decision and have moved back to Chicago? Has your quality of life significantly improved from the life you had in Chicago? Are Atlanta people friendlier than midwest people in general? Is Atlanta, Georgia the new land of opportunity, what California and New York was in the 80-90s?

This move is considered to be a major move for us and I don't want to have any regrets with my decision.

Thanks
2. I must say that we had a couple of windy days and low temps here that reminded me of good ole Chi-town!

5. In comparison to Korean town, the areas you will need to look at are in Gwinnett county primarily Duluth (Pleasant Hill Rd. area) & Lawrenceville. But start in Doraville on Buford Hwy. and follow Buford Hwy. out past Duluth into Lawrenceville-Suwanee and you will be impressed! You must come and visit these areas in order to get the picture.

7. Victory World Church in Norcross, GA is where quite a few Asians, East Indians, Hispanics, Europeans, etc. attend. Northpoint church is a great church with a smaller amount of other cultures.

8. I agree with you that Chicago is much further ahead of Atlanta and has a better rapid transit (the L). Compared to "brand" businesses Atlanta is emerging where Chicago has a plethora of world renowned businesses who have established their bases there. From John's Creek to the airport is quite a trip unless you drive to the North Springs or Sandy Springs train station and take the MARTA to the airport. That is a long ride too but much quicker than sitting in rush hour. The roads are better here because they don't get hardly any snow or ice so there is no need for rock salt. Atlanta doesn't have potholes. The traffic however is similar but really worse because they lack a developed mass mode of rapid transit. In fact just a couple years ago they cut buses completely out of one county right outside of ATL and then reduced the number of buses and routes in 2-3 other counties outside of ATL as well. You have to drive to get around or drive to the Marta and take it to select destinations because again, it is a very limited light rail system.

I'd suggest visiting for 2 weeks, 1 full week at the bare minimum before moving down.

Last edited by lookup138; 01-01-2011 at 12:21 PM..

Old 01-01-2011, 11:46 AM

8,863 posts, read 8,021,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
I personally do not consider Atlanta a "downgrade" from Chicago!
perhaps Dallas would be a better choice for the OP?

Old 01-01-2011, 12:08 PM

915 posts, read 1,492,875 times
Sorry for the confusion. The subdivision we are moving to St. Marlo which is right in the border of N. Fulton and S. Forsyth, but is in S. Forsyth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post
The state of GA is pretty broke as well. REally broke actually. The public school systems are suffering from both revenue losses from the state and from declines in property values that impact revenues from property taxes.

I am confused. You keep speaking about Johns Creek but Johns Creek is in Fulton County yet you keep referring to Forsyth County schools.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:13 PM

7,874 posts, read 6,654,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Sorry for the confusion. The subdivision we are moving to St. Marlo which is right in the border of N. Fulton and S. Forsyth, but is in S. Forsyth.
St.Marlo is a very nice gated community.You'll love it but not that diverse.People are friendly from what remember.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookup138 View Post
2. I must say that we had a couple of windy days and low temps here that reminded me of good ole Chi-town!

5. In comparison to Korean town, the areas you will need to look at are in Gwinnett county primarily Duluth & Lawrenceville. But start in Doraville on Buford Hwy. and follow Buford Hwy. out past Duluth into Lawrenceville-Suwanee and you will be impressed! You must come and visit these areas in order to get the picture.

7. Victory World Church in Norcross, GA is where quite a few Asians, East Indians, Hispanics, Europeans, etc. attend. Northpoint church is a great church with a smaller amount of other cultures.

8. I agree with you that Chicago is much further ahead of Atlanta and has a better rapid transit (the L). Compared to "brand" businesses Atlanta is emerging where Chicago has a plethora of world renowned businesses who have established their bases there. From John's Creek to the airport is quite a trip unless you drive to the North Springs or Sandy Springs train station and take the MARTA to the airport. That is a long ride too but much quicker than sitting in rush hour. The roads are better here because they don't get hardly any snow or ice so there is no need for rock salt. Atlanta doesn't have potholes. The traffic however is similar but really worse because they lack a developed mass mode of rapid transit. In fact just a couple years ago they cut buses completely out of one county right outside of ATL and then reduced the number of buses and routes in 2-3 other counties outside of ATL as well. You have to drive to get around or drive to the Marta and take it to select destinations because again, it is a very limited light rail system.

I'd suggest visiting for 2 weeks, 1 full week at the bare minimum before moving down.
I just wanted to add one correction
MARTA is also rapid transit.It is not Light-rail.As far as bus cutting,those were mostly in the inner city.Compared to Chicago subway,Atlanta's is minuscule.That said it is adequate for task within the city itself.If you live far in the suburbs then it is useless unless you drive to a "park and ride" lot or a MARTA station.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:32 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,733,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I just wanted to add one correction
MARTA is also rapid transit.It is not Light-rail.As far as bus cutting,those were mostly in the inner city.Compared to Chicago subway,Atlanta's is minuscule.That said it is adequate for task within the city itself.If you live far in the suburbs then it is useless unless you drive to a "park and ride" lot or a MARTA station.
Exactly. MARTA is heavy rail, just like the el trains the CTA runs - only much, much newer, nicer and faster. We just don't have the extensive coverage and multiple lines of the CTA.

As was already mentioned for someone on the far North side like Johns Creek, the Park & Ride lot of the North Springs Station is your friend for trips to the City & the Airport. There are dedicated ramps from GA 400 directly into the parking garage.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastminutemom View Post

Actually the State of Georgia has always been pretty well run .All states are having financial difficulties at this time. Revenue collections are way down everywhere.

A Pew Research Study Grades the States in how well they are run:
Grading the States - The Pew Center on the States

Old 01-01-2011, 12:44 PM

179 posts, read 326,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
St.Marlo is a very nice gated community.You'll love it but not that diverse.People are friendly from what remember.
Generally speaking, the country club communities in Johns Creek or South Forsyth tend to be the least diverse parts of the area. I don't know of any South Asian or East Asian families in St. Marlo, but perhaps who I know is not a good measurement of the make-up of the subdivision. Also, the schools in Johns Creek proper are far more ethnically diverse than the schools in South Forsyth.

There is a Super-H mart in Johns Creek off of Abbots Bridge and Medlock Bridge Roads. It's in a strip mall of East Asian restaurants, bakeries, banks, and even physicians/dentists. You certainly won't have to go far!

If you are living in South Forsyth and working in Johns Creek, you're going to be avoiding the biggest headache of living in Atlanta. The airport is 50 minutes in no traffic. But it's never taken me longer than 65 minutes, even in the middle of rush hour. I take 141 south to 285 and then 285 east all the way around. I haven't missed a flight, yet.

Old 01-01-2011, 12:47 PM

7,732 posts, read 6,733,447 times
^One thing that's different about Georgia is that we can't run deficits here. By State Constitutional Law, Georgia HAS to have a balanced budget.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta