U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-02-2011, 06:58 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
930 posts, read 1,689,426 times
Reputation: 342

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainyRainyDay View Post
Georgia has special sales tax rules for new cars. By all means purchase your minivan in Gwinnett County, but when you do, you'll find the dealer is obliged to collect the sales tax based on your county of residence. So you'll pay 7%.
What if you own a rental property in Duluth / Gwinnett County? Can i bring my Gwinnett tax stub, HOA invoice, or home title so i can i still qualify for the low 6% Gwinnett tax on the Toyota mini-van? Will that work? Anyways 7% sales tax is so much than 9.75% sales tax that i would have to pay if got the mini-van in Chicago.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2011, 08:13 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,205 posts, read 4,306,264 times
Reputation: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
What if you own a rental property in Duluth / Gwinnett County? Can i bring my Gwinnett tax stub, HOA invoice, or home title so i can i still qualify for the low 6% Gwinnett tax on the Toyota mini-van? Will that work? Anyways 7% sales tax is so much than 9.75% sales tax that i would have to pay if got the mini-van in Chicago.
I believe the intent of the law is that it's supposed to apply to where you reside and the vehicle will be based. You've made it pretty clear on this thread that you're a keen church-goer. Have you ever read the synoptic gospels? There's this part where some Pharisees asked Jesus whether they should pay taxes....
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 08:26 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
930 posts, read 1,689,426 times
Reputation: 342
Rainyday, sorry if you didn't see the joke behind my post. Lol really I don't mind paying the 1% higher sales tax as it is already mucher cheaper than what I would pay here. Loosen up bro.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 10:49 PM
 
Location: East Cobb
2,205 posts, read 4,306,264 times
Reputation: 873
Sorry, I didn't think you were joking, but I was out of line.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 11:43 PM
 
740 posts, read 854,317 times
Reputation: 414
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Rainyday, sorry if you didn't see the joke behind my post. Lol really I don't mind paying the 1% higher sales tax as it is already mucher cheaper than what I would pay here. Loosen up bro.
Don't worry, also GA has an Ad Valorem tax for vehicles that you must pay every year. I have a 2010 46k car and on my birthday I pay 600 dollars. :-(
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 01:16 PM
 
Location: Sandy Springs, GA
1,002 posts, read 1,174,381 times
Reputation: 701
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpanda View Post
Rainyday, sorry if you didn't see the joke behind my post. Lol really I don't mind paying the 1% higher sales tax as it is already mucher cheaper than what I would pay here. Loosen up bro.
I believe that you should do what's best for you even if others don't agree.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 11:13 AM
 
Location: cumming, ga
55 posts, read 116,498 times
Reputation: 29
we moved 6 months ago from the chicago suburbs to cumming. grew up in schaumburg and then moved out to algonquin.

positives so far: weather, outdoor activities like tennis, hiking, tubing, very friendly people, pretty scenery.

negatives: someone else mentioned the roads as far as not properly marked or lit up, it's dangerous to drive at night, i have seen so many accidents since moving here, the lack of ordinances about signage in cumming, can't stand all the billboards and ugly store signs, very slow paced, lack of variety in grocery stores.

it seems like in cumming people just accept the way things are. there are many things here that would not be tollerated in the suburbs we moved from like the poorly marked roads and lack of street lights. we chose not to rent because we have middle schoolers and didn't want to uproot them again. i love my subdivision, windermere, but do not like the area outside of it. the area you are chosing is very nice and a little bit south of me. you are closer to johns creek which, in my opinion, looks nicer as far as the retail areas.

i think you will do fine here seeing as most of your family is spread out. i left my family and longtime friends. we visit often and i try to focus on the positives of living here. good luck to you!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 12:39 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
1,281 posts, read 3,035,949 times
Reputation: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoveornot View Post
negatives: someone else mentioned the roads as far as not properly marked or lit up, it's dangerous to drive at night, i have seen so many accidents since moving here, the lack of ordinances about signage in cumming, can't stand all the billboards and ugly store signs, very slow paced, lack of variety in grocery stores.

it seems like in cumming people just accept the way things are. there are many things here that would not be tollerated in the suburbs we moved from like the poorly marked roads and lack of street lights. we chose not to rent because we have middle schoolers and didn't want to uproot them again. i love my subdivision, windermere, but do not like the area outside of it. the area you are chosing is very nice and a little bit south of me. you are closer to johns creek which, in my opinion, looks nicer as far as the retail areas.
One issue is that fact that you live in an area that until recently was rural or semi-rural, and has only been "suburbanized" in the last decade. I know from speaking to "old timers" that as recently as the 1950's people were still plowing fields in that area with mules!
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
 
719 posts, read 1,067,712 times
Reputation: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioNative View Post
One issue is that fact that you live in an area that until recently was rural or semi-rural, and has only been "suburbanized" in the last decade. I know from speaking to "old timers" that as recently as the 1950's people were still plowing fields in that area with mules!
Exactly what I was thinking, too.

Is Cumming even really considered part of Metro Atlanta proper?

I can say from experience that for the most part in-town and near-in Atlanta suburbs are on par with comparable areas in Chicagoland for shopping and stores. Of course, Atlanta doesn't have a Michigan Ave., but I think its suburbs and many in-town areas are more or less equivalent to Chicago in terms of shopping.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-04-2011, 04:16 PM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
930 posts, read 1,689,426 times
Reputation: 342
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamM View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, too.

Is Cumming even really considered part of Metro Atlanta proper?

I can say from experience that for the most part in-town and near-in Atlanta suburbs are on par with comparable areas in Chicagoland for shopping and stores. Of course, Atlanta doesn't have a Michigan Ave., but I think its suburbs and many in-town areas are more or less equivalent to Chicago in terms of shopping.
I would agree with that. My wife and I visited Lenox mall, Mall of Georgia, and Northern Georgia Outlet.. and it is pretty impressive. I think if you are into the city life.. Atlanta may be a let down, but in terms of suburban life.. it appears that it will be a major upgrade to the lifestyle i have now.

How is the entrepeneurial spirit in northern Atlanta? ( Suwanee, Alpharetta, and Johns Creek) Chicago is very corporate and I don't know of any of my friends who started their own businesses. Does Atlanta have an entrepenurial tech culture like Seattle, Austin, Los Angeles, or Silicon Valley? Is there potential that Atlanta will be become a new tech center hub simlilar to that of Research Triangle in Raliegh, NC?

I am also curious about the future developement of Johns Creek Technology Park. Everytime i visit, the commerical area feels a bit dead with tons of empty commercial spaces? Do many of you foresee JCTP becoming a huge job center for the nothern residents in the future?

Last edited by mrpanda; 01-04-2011 at 04:35 PM..
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top