Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2012, 07:09 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,215,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by testa50 View Post
Am I missing something? This doesn't make sense.

You said you never see people posting the things on here I mentioned yet someone on here just did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 07:15 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_BD View Post
That's precisely my point. You can't, yet people here are often saying that the city of Atlanta actually offers these universally-desired traits. And when you asked them in which neighborhoods can you find this, they can never list them. People always push Atlanta as being the better choice to live because the housing is cheaper than other major cities, but even though that may be true, these type of neighborhoods are just as elusive here as they are anywhere else. The average family could not afford a single family home in the best school districts, near their jobs if they work in town AND on public transit in the safe areas in Atlanta proper.

People in the Atlanta Forum are always saying that you can get homes at these prices in Atlanta with these desired traits and it's simply untrue. In the suburbs, yes. In the city, no. Atlanta is no different than any other major city in this regard, even with its homes being cheaper than other metros.

People need to be more honest and say that you can get cheaper homes in the Atlanta suburbs, not in Atlanta itself. Duluth is Duluth. Atlanta is Atlanta.
Depends what your baseline for "low cost of living" is, I suppose. Most of the people I see that come seeking "low housing costs" are coming from the Northeast, south Florida, and California.

$400k for a recently renovated 3/2, in a neighborhood with good public schools, close to downtown, with people walking their Labradors on every street, probably sounds like a dream come true to someone in the Bay Area, or from New Jersey. Not within reach for most people, but that probably represents a significant discount from many other areas.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
Depends what your baseline for "low cost of living" is, I suppose. Most of the people I see that come seeking "low housing costs" are coming from the Northeast, south Florida, and California.

$400k for a recently renovated 3/2, in a neighborhood with good public schools, close to downtown, with people walking their Labradors on every street, probably sounds like a dream come true to someone in the Bay Area, or from New Jersey. Not within reach for most people, but that probably represents a significant discount from many other areas.
Agreed! :-)

But the $250k figure is thrown around here the most, which I why I used it. But the jobs pay low here and are hard to come by, so people moving down here with their Northeast, six-figure salaries still intact (mostly transfers), it's like hitting pay dirt for them. But we know that for those of us who already live here, the jobs don't pay that well.

Old 08-31-2012, 07:47 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,027,676 times
Quote:
Since people boast that Atlanta's big draw is the cheaper housing costs, I think stipulating affordable is reasonable.

So since you are a teacher and have this insider knowledge, which neighborhoods have affordable homes ($250k and under), in areas that are safe with good schools that aren't in the suburbs. Can you list them please?
Why do you have to respond with such sarcasm? I didn't boast, and I didn't say I had insider knowledge into any Atlanta neighborhoods that fit your description. I said that "good schools" depends on if you really are looking for good teachers and an involved community or high test scores in a majority white environment. As a teacher I would look more for the former.

Safe is also subjective. What is safe to you? A couple of more affordable safe neighborhoods in good school districts off the top of my head are Piedmont Heights, Loring Heights, Sherwood Forest, Lenox Park, Poncey-Highland, Old Fourth Ward, and others along those lines. But I'm sure there will be something about each of those that won't meet your criteria.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post
Why do you have to respond with such sarcasm? I didn't boast, and I didn't say I had insider knowledge into any Atlanta neighborhoods that fit your description. I said that "good schools" depends on if you really are looking for good teachers and an involved community or high test scores in a majority white environment. As a teacher I would look more for the former.

Safe is also subjective. What is safe to you? A couple of more affordable safe neighborhoods in good school districts off the top of my head are Piedmont Heights, Loring Heights, Sherwood Forest, Lenox Park, Poncey-Highland, Old Fourth Ward, and others along those lines. But I'm sure there will be something about each of those that won't meet your criteria.
I wasn't being sarcastic. I was sincerely posing a question. You really are sensitive, sheesh! lol

I wasn't saying that you specifically boast, I was speaking in general terms. And since you are a teacher and you say you are knowledgeable about schools that people wouldn't even consider, I consider that as insider information. Doesn't always have to have a negative connotation.

I don't have a certain criteria other than a school is safe, the cirriculum is good and the teachers are involved and caring. My idea of safe is my child being able to go to school and focus on her studies without having to worry about being bullied or harassed by other students or beingly treated inapproriately by teachers. At the end of the day, parental involvement, a stable home environment and a student stuying and being focused will determine a child's academic success. But it definitely starts at home.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:32 PM

2,167 posts, read 2,829,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTarheel View Post

The major criteria those areas do not meet is the notion of affordability. Below is the number of 3 bedroom properties currently for sale in each of those areas for under $300,000. If you exclude condos and multifamily buildings, there are two. Heck, finding a 3BR SFH below the $346k limit for an FHA mortgage is challenging in some! Not just finding one that meets your criteria and must-haves list, but finding one at all. I guess I just don't accept that these neighborhoods qualify as "affordable" when their entry level price points for a 3 bedroom single family home are over 6 times the median income for Atlanta, and dithering with the FHA purchase price caps. Great neighborhoods with lots of selling points . . . sure. But it's not like you've got the pick of the litter with $250k, or even $300k. You are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Granted this is just a snapshot and things change weekly, but it's a relevant data point.
  • Piedmont Heights: 1
  • Loring Heights: 0
  • Sherwood Forest: 0
  • Lenox Park - Morningside: 1 (a condo)
  • Poncey Highlands: 2 (both duplexes that front on North Ave.)
  • Old Fourth Ward: 2 (one duplex)

Old 09-01-2012, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red92s View Post
The major criteria those areas do not meet is the notion of affordability. Below is the number of 3 bedroom properties currently for sale in each of those areas for under $300,000. If you exclude condos and multifamily buildings, there are two. Heck, finding a 3BR SFH below the $346k limit for an FHA mortgage is challenging in some! Not just finding one that meets your criteria and must-haves list, but finding one at all. I guess I just don't accept that these neighborhoods qualify as "affordable" when their entry level price points for a 3 bedroom single family home are over 6 times the median income for Atlanta, and dithering with the FHA purchase price caps. Great neighborhoods with lots of selling points . . . sure. But it's not like you've got the pick of the litter with $250k, or even $300k. You are scraping the bottom of the barrel. Granted this is just a snapshot and things change weekly, but it's a relevant data point.
  • Piedmont Heights: 1
  • Loring Heights: 0
  • Sherwood Forest: 0
  • Lenox Park - Morningside: 1 (a condo)
  • Poncey Highlands: 2 (both duplexes that front on North Ave.)
  • Old Fourth Ward: 2 (one duplex)
This is my point exactly!

I live intown and live or have lived in two of the most desireable neighborhoods in Atlanta proper, and I'd visit or look at home prices in these and surrounding areas frequently, and there's is absolutely nothing here that the average, middle-class family could afford home-wise with these desireable traits, and I don't get why people keep saying there is. When I'd considered buying a few years back, the only thing I could find that was affordable were one-bed room condos...

...unless the average metro Atlanta family earns high six-figure salaries and I was unaware of that most families here earn that kind of money and ALL of them choose to live in the suburbs.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:03 AM

1,050 posts, read 1,690,169 times
Quote:
Agreed! :-)

But the $250k figure is thrown around here the most, which I why I used it. But the jobs pay low here and are hard to come by, so people moving down here with their Northeast, six-figure salaries still intact (mostly transfers), it's like hitting pay dirt for them. But we know that for those of us who already live here, the jobs don't pay that well.
Maybe for you.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaLakeSearch View Post
Maybe for you.
Yeah for me and a lot of people. I know plenty of folks with masters and law degrees who either can't find work: or are working low-paying jobs or don't earn as nearly as much as they would elsewhere with the degrees they have.

I've know plenty of folks throughout my years here who are well-educated and don't make $40k per year. Most of then didn't or still don't earn $30k.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:53 AM

32,019 posts, read 36,759,555 times
Quote:
... there's is absolutely nothing here that the average, middle-class family could afford home-wise with these desireable traits
We've had this discussion many times before.

Check out these houses in the $200s, all in good school districts:

275 Sisson Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30317 MLS# 5049966 - Zillow

289 Norwood Ave NE, Atlanta, GA 30317 MLS# 5027339 - Zillow

2305 Hosea L Williams Dr SE, Atlanta, GA 30317 MLS# 5053969 - Zillow

1547 Alder Ct SE, Atlanta, GA 30317 MLS# 5013357 - Zillow

79 Anniston Ave SE, Atlanta, GA 30317 MLS# 5037898 - Zillow

23 Kirkwood Rd NE, Atlanta, GA 30317 MLS# 5022797 - Zillow

2719 Craigie Ave, Decatur, GA 30030 MLS# 03269587 - Zillow

2181 Spink St NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 MLS# 5037001 - Zillow

2189 Parkview Run NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 MLS# 5038477 - Zillow

1538 Gilstrap Ln NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 MLS# 3214151 - Zillow

1704 Carr Cir NW, Atlanta, GA 30318 MLS# 5038071 - Zillow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta