U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-02-2011, 08:01 PM
 
88 posts, read 105,189 times
Reputation: 70

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
Since it's so horrible here and your life may be in danger, maybe you should get another job... you know, one that won't require you to spend so much time in Atlanta? Actually, I'm surprised your job would take you to such a violent and terrible place.
It's called the airline industry. You guys have a very busy airport with lots of connecting flights. Sometimes I'm on them and here I am this weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-02-2011, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,495,433 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I do agree that the doomsday scenarios are a bit
much. However with this incident and the recent occurrences in the Highlands I am a little concerned. Sure crime happens but usually in the more affluent areas such as the Highlands these things shouldn't happen. I can understand a mugging or two but home invasions and sexual assault? Damn. I moved away to get a different life experience since I am from here. I have considered moving back but stories like this make me think twice. I know where I live now crime is for the most part isolated to certain sections of town. It is concerning when things happen in the better parts of town. Hopefully the APD can crack down on this stuff. At least the home invasions. That's personal.
I have a friend that lives in Downtown Jersey City and she was almost mugged at gunpoint outside her apartment. She purposely took a taxi back so she didn't have to walk far from the train station. The taxi left and when she went up to her door to her building a guy yanked her and pushed her up against a car with a gun and demanded money. Right then, a man happened to be walking down the street and said "what's going on???" and the criminal ran off. She was very lucky that guy was walking and scared him off. Does that mean Jersey City is "doomed? Maybe you should be concerned where you live now?

I do agree the APD can always do more in terms of prevention - they did hire 200 more police officers who are currently in training and will be out on the streets in the spring. Mayor Reed wants to hire 700 more officers total so we'll see if he makes good on his promise. Also, they did catch the suspects that are responsible for most of the assaults in the Highlands. Except for the most recent sexual assault, all the others were linked to the same people so it's not like it is a bunch of different people which is a lot more unnerving.

Last edited by mike7586; 01-02-2011 at 06:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 07:05 PM
 
Location: Jersey City, NJ
349 posts, read 609,664 times
Reputation: 306
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike7586 View Post
I have a friend that lives in Downtown Jersey City and she was almost mugged at gunpoint outside her apartment. She purposely took a taxi back so she didn't have to walk far from the train station. The taxi left and when she went up to her door to her building a guy yanked her and pushed her up against a car with a gun and demanded money. Right then, a man happened to be walking down the street and said "what's going on???" and the criminal ran off. She was very lucky that guy was walking and scared him off. Does that mean Jersey City is "doomed? Maybe you should be concerned where you live now?

I do agree the APD can always do more in terms of prevention - they did hire 200 more police officers who are currently in training and will be out on the streets in the spring. Mayor Reed wants to hire 700 more officers total so we'll see if he makes good on his promise. Also, they did catch the suspects that are responsible for most of the assaults in the Highlands. Except for the most recent sexual assault, all the others were linked to the same people so it's not like it is a bunch of different people which is a lot more unnerving.
I do agree that crime happens here as well. Believe me I am from Atlanta and my family still lives there. I do not have an agenda to trash Atlanta AT ALL. I actually heard about a guy almost getting shot right outside my apt. So it's not all sunshine and rainbows. However I don't hear much about home invasions which is what concerns me. When I'm in my home I should be safe. Now maybe these things are occurring and I just don't hear about them. In any case I would like to see the APD step it up. The last thing I want is for people to accept crime as part of living in the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-02-2011, 07:16 PM
 
Location: Atlanta
969 posts, read 1,495,433 times
Reputation: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagwagon113 View Post
I do agree that crime happens here as well. Believe me I am from Atlanta and my family still lives there. I do not have an agenda to trash Atlanta AT ALL. I actually heard about a guy almost getting shot right outside my apt. So it's not all sunshine and rainbows. However I don't hear much about home invasions which is what concerns me. When I'm in my home I should be safe. Now maybe these things are occurring and I just don't hear about them. In any case I would like to see the APD step it up. The last thing I want is for people to accept crime as part of living in the city.
Oh I agree and it should not be accepted at all. Also, I think you hear about more home invasions here because there aren't as many single family homes in Jersey City/NYC like there are in Atlanta. Again, not justifying it but I'm sure it has something to do with the differences in the built environment. Not like it never happens, but to me it seems harder to break into and get in/get out of an apartment then a single family home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 07:25 AM
 
Location: East Side of ATL
3,613 posts, read 4,968,320 times
Reputation: 1420
Going back on topic...

Young man was killed over the supposed theft of a cell phone

Family: Teen killed at MARTA station over cell phone *| ajc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:03 AM
 
24,723 posts, read 19,999,715 times
Reputation: 7961
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Going back on topic...

Young man was killed over the supposed theft of a cell phone

Family: Teen killed at MARTA station over cell phone *| ajc.com
The senseless death of that kid is awful.

What also gets lost in the story is the last couple of paragraphs. "There also was a stabbing before midnight at Underground Atlanta, where more than 100,000 people gathered for the Peach Drop festivities. A fight broke out, and the victim was stabbed in the back, police said. The victim was taken to a hospital in stable condition. Eight people were arrested in connection with the fight, police said....In addition, Atlanta police made five other arrests for fighting."

So I guess you've got at least 15 people involved in serious altercations.

I can already hear the same old excuses and justifications about "crime happens in every big city." But it didn't use to be that way. And it doesn't have to be that way now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:08 AM
JPD
 
10,512 posts, read 12,646,513 times
Reputation: 6086
So, did they catch this worthless piece of sh*t, or is he still on the loose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:15 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 13,109,714 times
Reputation: 2280
jmo, but 14 is too young to attend such an event.

His mother said he didn't tell her he was going and hadn't done anything like this before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:37 AM
 
Location: Astana, Kazakhstan
2,378 posts, read 3,133,181 times
Reputation: 2606
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
jmo, but 14 is too young to attend such an event.

His mother said he didn't tell her he was going and hadn't done anything like this before.
Maybe so but...

I vehemently disagree. This should be considered a family event, even though many folks ruin it by getting sloppy drunk. The NYC version is definitely a family event. Maybe they should ban alcohol at the Peach Drop from here on out. Why is it such a part of American culture to use any excuse to get blind drunk. I'm not teetotaler but is it all that necessary or appropriate?

So what if he didn't tell her he was going. He's not the first 14 year old kid to do something like this.

It really doesn't matter if he was 14 or 94 really. This shouldn't have happened, especially at this sort of event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-03-2011, 08:40 AM
 
8,862 posts, read 13,109,714 times
Reputation: 2280
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
Maybe so but...

I vehemently disagree. This should be considered a family event, even though many folks ruin it by getting sloppy drunk. The NYC version is definitely a family event.

So what if he didn't tell her he was going. He's not the first 14 year old kid to do something like this.

It really doesn't matter if he was 14 or 94 really. This shouldn't have happened, especially at this sort of event.
As I said--it is my opinion that 14 is too young to attend such an event with friends. It is not a family event and hasn't been in quite some time, if ever---I don't think what it 'should' be is a relevant issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2017, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 - Top