Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is your opinion on expanding MARTA?
Yes, we need MARTA to be expanded and I will use. 173 73.31%
I probably won't use it, but expanding MARTA is a good idea. 25 10.59%
I don't care. 6 2.54%
I don't want MARTA to be expanded. 32 13.56%
Voters: 236. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2008, 08:07 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post
That link is pie in the sky. There is little talk about funding or timelines or anything concrete. Dallas and Houston have these things. DART in particular is continually expanding. Yes, they *need* to expand to get to where MARTA is now but they are doing it and their plans have them leaving MARTA in the dust.

They have been "studying" the commuter rail line since the early/mid 90's. The only reason it is getting talked about now is that the federal funding for it may expire so they have to do something to keep in tact.

MARTA *is* ineffective. Just because it is as ineffective as other transit systems is nothing to brag about.

As I've already tried to explain, the mention of Marta's ridership was to make point not to "brag".

Reguarding Marta's expansion plans..
Quote:
The Memorial Drive BRT has now advanced to the engineering design and right-of-way acquisition phases of the project development process. Construction of the BRT stations will be done in conjunction with the streetscaping done by DeKalb County. Revenue service expected to commence in fall 2010!
As far as DART leaving Marta in the dust, get back to me when they have even HALF the ridership.

Lastly, it is the low density, car-based, sprawling nature of Atlanta that is ineffective for transit, not to mention the polarized govenmental nature of the metro. IMO the transit stats here are remarkable given that Atlanta is the least dense of any large city.

Last edited by J2rescue; 10-04-2008 at 08:30 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 08:04 AM

7,887 posts, read 17,187,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteyNice View Post

Dallas and Houston are investing in and expanding their transit systems. This does not happen overnight.
If you notice, the plan is heavily weighted to light rail, bus corridors, and HOV expansion. Hub/spoke heavy rail is not the sole or dominant offering. Atlanta could take advantage of some of these same options more quickly, cheaply, and service more people than more hub/spoke heavy rail.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:57 AM

9,191 posts, read 33,874,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
You seem to be assuming that in the next 20-25 years there will be zero transit expansion in Atlanta and given current trends, that is highly unlikely. It is also incorrect that Marta does not have expansion plans. Marta expansion plans (http://www.itsmarta.com/newsroom/planstudy.htm - broken link)
I've lived in Atlanta since 1984, and you should realize that they DO have a history of advertising "expansions" which never come to be. While maybe their thoughts are in the right place, few of these since the late 80s ever come to pass.

Example: Here is a scan of a pocket map that MARTA was passing out in the early 1990s, showing expanded rail routes that "were" going to be built (outside of the North line additions, the other half, were not):

Old 10-06-2008, 02:23 PM

256 posts, read 452,900 times
If you study that handout in one hand with a map of the bus routes on your other hand, you discover that the entire service is "disjointed." Once a line crosses I285, there need to be connecting routes around the perimeter. And there need to be routes that go criss-cross inside the perimeter. But the majority of the routes are the same as they were in the 40's and 50's under the Atlanta Transit Service. Very little change. Very few additions. Transportation needs have changed radically, and the MARTA routes need to change with the times.

I agree that expansion into Cobb, Cherokee, Forsythe, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Clayton, Henry, and Paulding counties is needed NOW, and that further expansion into Barrow, Walton, Newton, Butts, Spalding, Coweta, Douglas, Carroll and Bartow needs to be close behind that. Large terminal parking lots at the outer stations should be set up to accommodate parking by people from still farther out.

Train routes and bus routes, both, are needed.

Again, I have to say, however, that tax base or no tax base, ineffective management cannot be tolerated any longer. Professionals need to be on the Board, with an **advisory panel** of actual riders from each of the counties served.

Further expansion as necessary should be planned for and accomplished, too.

Old 10-06-2008, 03:16 PM

1,582 posts, read 2,184,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I've lived in Atlanta since 1984, and you should realize that they DO have a history of advertising "expansions" which never come to be. While maybe their thoughts are in the right place, few of these since the late 80s ever come to pass.

Example: Here is a scan of a pocket map that MARTA was passing out in the early 1990s, showing expanded rail routes that "were" going to be built (outside of the North line additions, the other half, were not):

That's not surprising considering how expensive heavy rail is, that it gets zero state money, dwindling federal resources and that there are only two counties funding it. They expanded what they could and what made the most sense.

In fact it was only after the Fulton/Dekalb one-cent sales tax was extended last year were they able to proceed with current expansion plans which are all much less expensive options, BRT or light rail. Barring the creation of a regional funding mechanism dedicated to transit and/or a drastic shift in the state transportation priorities, heavy rail expansion is finished.

Last edited by J2rescue; 10-06-2008 at 04:27 PM..

Old 10-06-2008, 04:55 PM

606 posts, read 2,004,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
If you study that handout in one hand with a map of the bus routes on your other hand, you discover that the entire service is "disjointed." Once a line crosses I285, there need to be connecting routes around the perimeter. And there need to be routes that go criss-cross inside the perimeter. But the majority of the routes are the same as they were in the 40's and 50's under the Atlanta Transit Service. Very little change. Very few additions. Transportation needs have changed radically, and the MARTA routes need to change with the times.

I agree that expansion into Cobb, Cherokee, Forsythe, Gwinnett, Rockdale, Clayton, Henry, and Paulding counties is needed NOW, and that further expansion into Barrow, Walton, Newton, Butts, Spalding, Coweta, Douglas, Carroll and Bartow needs to be close behind that. Large terminal parking lots at the outer stations should be set up to accommodate parking by people from still farther out.

Train routes and bus routes, both, are needed.

Again, I have to say, however, that tax base or no tax base, ineffective management cannot be tolerated any longer. Professionals need to be on the Board, with an **advisory panel** of actual riders from each of the counties served.e

Further expansion as necessary should be planned for and accomplished, too.
So expansion into counties like Forsyth is needed now but expansion into counties like Douglas isnt needed now ? I think it needs to be expanded into counties closer to Atlanta first, like Douglas for instance, then it can expand to counties further out like Forsyth.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:06 PM

1,104 posts, read 1,521,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlemom View Post
MARTA could be better and more economical - if it were managed adequately.

Pulling homeless people in to be board members is a sure-fire way to go down the tubes.

Cheerio!
Turtlemom
Homeless people?

Old 10-06-2008, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J2rescue View Post
Marta does have expansion plans. Marta expansion plans (http://www.itsmarta.com/newsroom/planstudy.htm - broken link)
That is awesome news!!!! Those updates were not there 2 months ago!!! I'm excited!!

The North & West lines are needed badly! Hopefully that west line can get close to 6 Flags.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:25 PM

3,478 posts, read 7,252,923 times
^Huh? That page has been up for like 2 years at least.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
^Huh? That page has been up for like 2 years at least.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta