U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: What is your opinion on expanding MARTA?
Yes, we need MARTA to be expanded and I will use. 173 73.62%
I probably won't use it, but expanding MARTA is a good idea. 24 10.21%
I don't care. 6 2.55%
I don't want MARTA to be expanded. 32 13.62%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-20-2007, 03:39 PM
 
Location: Mableton, GA USA (NW Atlanta suburb, 4 miles OTP)
11,319 posts, read 22,488,407 times
Reputation: 3886

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Is that a serious question? I know lots of people who pay that much or more due to where they live and work.
They've got more money than I do, then. :-)

I guess I'd be paying roughly that were my commute 30-35 miles/day, assuming similar levels of traffic, and I know folks here who drive further than that. I'm not sure that I'd consider that sane behavior, but everyone has their own set of priorities I guess. :-) Plus I realize that sometimes things just work out badly in terms of commute distance (companies move, people switch jobs, etc.).

When I did contract work and drove 59 miles each way (Eden Prairie, MN to Owatonna, MN) I also got mileage reimbursement which was considerably greater than my gas expenses, so that wasn't a bad situation in terms of net expenses. Without that, though...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-20-2007, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Atlanta,Ga
826 posts, read 2,787,129 times
Reputation: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
You just can't compare the two unfortunately. The stench of racism here in Georgia is so horrible, whether folks want to admit it or not. That's not to say it doesn't exist elsewhere, but I have noticed it SO MUCH more here, particularly on issues of planned developments, transportation, etc.
As an African American woman I have actually found the Atlanta area has a bigger "classist" issue then racist. The only time I have issues with racism is when other African Americans react to my Caucasian husband.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-20-2007, 08:44 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,238,017 times
Reputation: 5131
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxman777 View Post
Iím sorry but Atlanta is a major city. If you want your massive house with several acres of land, no poor people, no transit you need to be somewhere else.
Agreed. I think there's a few folks on here who think they're living in Orange County, California (and they're not - but maybe they should).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 09:39 PM
Status: "I hate living in Georgia!!" (set 13 days ago)
 
48,186 posts, read 45,506,708 times
Reputation: 15339
There are many people living in the metro Atlanta area who want it to be an Orange County. I wouldn't want it that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 10:53 PM
 
1,755 posts, read 5,021,779 times
Reputation: 551
If you had a vote tomorrow with a rail that went from Acworth to downtown, with a stop at, or around, every exit (including park-n-ride), I'd be first in line to vote 'YES'.

However, the other 98% of Cobb Residents would be behind me voting 'NO'.

And it's not b/c of crime, it's b/c it still wouldn't be convenient for them to get to work and they don't want to pay taxes to support it. And I wouldn't blame them. Plain and simple.

I'll use my family (semi-extended) as an example

I'm 28, I have roughly 17 semi-direct relatives (parents, step-parents, sisters, step-sisters, step-brothers, and their inlaws) that all live in areas that are serviced by Cobb or Douglas express bus.

Of the entire ,none work directly downtown nor along the rail line that would run downtown, and therefore would vote 'NO'.

Including my friends, cousins, and other regular run ins, I can only count 2 others that could reallistically use the rail.

That's why I'd push the BRT w/HOV before rail aka(Shock and Awe Transit Plan) to
a) justify funding for some type of mass transit (exponentially cheaper than rail)
b) encourage the build up of transit infrastructure to lay the groundwork for rail in the future.
c) convince people it can work
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-24-2007, 11:35 PM
 
Location: West Cobb County, GA (Atlanta metro)
9,188 posts, read 30,238,017 times
Reputation: 5131
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt6974a View Post
However, the other 98% of Cobb Residents would be behind me voting 'NO'.

And it's not b/c of crime, it's b/c it still wouldn't be convenient for them to get to work and they don't want to pay taxes to support it.
I'm 28, I have roughly 17 semi-direct relatives (parents, step-parents, sisters, step-sisters, step-brothers, and their inlaws) that all live in areas that are serviced by Cobb or Douglas express bus.

Of the entire ,none work directly downtown nor along the rail line that would run downtown, and therefore would vote 'NO'.
Please don't take this as a personal attack on your or your family, it's meant for all of those who you say would vote "no" because as you say again, "it would not benefit them" personally. That's really a very selfish mentality. Again - for *anyone* - not directing it at you specifically.

There are a lot of things we pay taxes on that may not directly benefit us. Certain elderly programs that some of us may never use, our tax dollars on some level filter down to food stamp programs and public housing as well. The Fema trailers that got trashed ... who paid for those? What about sidewalks, or parks that are in another part of the county that we don't live in and get to use? What about particular roads that we don't drive on but were built with our tax money?

You get the point - just because YOU (you as in anyone) don't use something, doesn't mean that you should vote "no" on it so that no one can benefit from it.

People need to realize that while it may not directly benefit you personally, a transit system in Atlanta that is expanded beyond it's current boundaries *WILL* help a number of folks, and it WILL take cars off the roads. Less cars. Less exhaust. It's a trickle-down effect - you may not ride the trains, but in some way it will benefit the overall quality of life for everyone by simply taking cars off the roads. So I think all of these "no people" need to stop thinking just of themselves and vote "yes" instead simply because as a whole, the metro area DOES need it. If 1% is going to bankrupt someone, they need to move to Mayberry because they're teetering on the edge as it is.

Also - people should write in to MARTA and their elected officials touting the benefits of LIGHT RAIL. Light rail (similar to a trolley, but more modern), costs only about one-third to build as heavy rail does (such as MARTA). Light rail works extremely well in cities that have it - as a matter of fact, in Portland, their MAX service is in heavy demand - people are actually begging for it to be brought into their areas. If they switched their focus to light rail systems in the burbs, they could cover three times the areas for the same cost as just putting in 3 heavy rail stations.

Something to think about before voting "no" for the heck of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2007, 06:36 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,071,947 times
Reputation: 7906
Greg's right. Unfortunately, we are part of a very selfish society. Everyone wants to talk about how America is the greatest country in the history of the universe, but when it comes to paying taxes (i.e. the DUES that are NECSESSARY to keep it as good as everyone says it is), people become loathesome stingy whiners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2007, 07:10 AM
 
Location: ITP
2,133 posts, read 5,620,468 times
Reputation: 1347
Greg,

Great post.

I also think that development will eventually be configured around transit stations as firms would be demanding office space/facilities located near rapid transit lines. Also, there is a significant segment of potential homebuyers that would buy a townhome or condo built near a rapid transit station for the convenience. This is the same thing that happened with the proliferation of interstate highways in this country, and we're seeing the same thing now with transit stops--i.e. Lindbergh Center, Sandy Springs, Decatur, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2007, 07:44 AM
JPD
 
12,159 posts, read 15,071,947 times
Reputation: 7906
There may have been a time when MARTA stations were located in bad neighborhoods, but that is not the reality now. Look at the warp-speed increase in home values around Candler Park and East Lake (those homes seem to go up by 100k every year). Look at the condos that are sprouting like weeds in the vicinity of the King Memorial station...that was "the ghetto" two years ago. Chamblee station area has seen lots of new development, as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2007, 08:42 AM
 
1,755 posts, read 5,021,779 times
Reputation: 551
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If 1% is going to bankrupt someone, they need to move to Mayberry because they're teetering on the edge as it is.
That's the point, many Cobb residents moved here when it was 'Mayberry', including my family.

Yes, 1% won't bankrupt people, but like you said people already have to pay for stuff they don't use or see.......

...with the upcoming election it seems residents of Cobb (and everywhere else) are going to be paying more taxes as it is, assuming the Dems get in the house.

1% isn't much, but when it does get snowpiled in with other taxes, most residents won't use it, and if they can vote to turn down a tax....they will!

Cobb barely passed the last SPLOST which was to improve roads, courthouse, etc. They're not going to pass one for RAIL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top