Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 09:37 AM

4,586 posts, read 7,705,570 times

Advertisements

BJ's Wholesale Club closing 3 stores in metro Atlanta *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/bjs-wholesale-club-closing-795681.html - broken link)

Interesting that 3 out of the 5 are in GA.

Wonder how long they have been open...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 10:43 AM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,280 times
I can't believe people refuse to go to a BJ......

Old 01-05-2011, 11:08 AM

562 posts, read 1,789,825 times
Doesnt surprise me, I used to go to the one in Newnan that they are about to shut down, and most of the things were only cheaper when you used the coupons that Bj's gave you, or you used store coupons. Otherwise you could reg find stuff cheaper at the grocery store when it was on sale. True things were cheaper compared to a grocery store when it wasnt on sale, but then you had to buy in bulk, so why are you paying the membership fee? Costco or Sams club just has too much of a monopoly for BJ's to survive.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:06 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,072,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
BJ's Wholesale Club closing 3 stores in metro Atlanta *| ajc.com (http://www.ajc.com/business/bjs-wholesale-club-closing-795681.html - broken link)

Interesting that 3 out of the 5 are in GA.

Wonder how long they have been open...
We've gone to the BJ's in Powder Springs for years, and I always wondered how they stayed open. I've always viewed them as a Sam's Club with much smaller crowds and much more flexible credit card options.

We mostly get bulk stuff there. Razors, soda, etc. I'll miss that store.

Old 01-05-2011, 02:11 PM

3,707 posts, read 5,981,543 times
never heard of it

Old 01-05-2011, 02:48 PM

744 posts, read 2,481,229 times
I really like BJ's and I 'm really sad to hear this news .
Thankfully , the two stores I use are both remaining open. Their prices on suppliment drinks like EAS are far cheaper there than buying them at a drug store or super market.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,870,568 times
I don't live far from the Powder Springs store, and while I hate to see it close from a matter of convenience, it doesn't shock me. Every time I've been in there, there seems to be very few customers, and Verizon pulled their booth out of their a couple of months ago which was probably a sign they were aware of it then. According to an employee I talked to once, they also were suffering from an increase in people stealing things too, as in particular that immediate neighborhood around it has taken a little bit of a turn for the worse in the last 2-3 years. And to be honest, the quality of the employees was standard "Wal-mart" fare, and the place isn't the cleanest I've seen when you compare it to places like Costco or even many Sam's Clubs.

My guess is it will also have an effect on the shops that are in the small strip center just to the side of that location, too. There are your standard nail salon and dry cleaner places, but there's actually a very good little Italian Restaurant (Giovanni's) that most likely will move as a result, too.

Would love to see Costco take the old BJ's building, but they would definitely not open that far away from an Interstate or in a declining neighborhood, so my guess is it'll be empty real estate for a while.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:27 AM

74 posts, read 148,249 times
The one in McDonough doesn't surprise me. It's right across the stree from SAMs club, which is always packed.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:52 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,785,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWatson13 View Post
I can't believe people refuse to go to a BJ......
Lol...Stop it!!

Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 AM

1 posts, read 4,495 times
Cool BJ'S Closing

I hate to see any business go out. But it was increasingly harder for them to complete with the big two big box discounters. I heard about a new site at Church. Removed by Moderator It compares prices at the top stores here in Atlanta. From what I’ve read, it updates twice a week and shows where the lowest prices are on a few hundred items. You can print out your shopping list or have it sent to your phone. (I’m not savvy enough for that though). I email them since their not up yet, and they told me they will be up in January in Atlanta and Birmingham AL. then other cities. I can’t wait to try it.

Last edited by atlantagreg30127; 01-08-2011 at 09:34 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta