Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM

5 posts, read 6,780 times

Advertisements

Hey ya'll,

I'm a young woman currently living in Houston TX right now. I want to move to Atlanta very soon but I have no contacts and no job leads. I'm not sure how to penetrate the market being so far away. It seems so easy for other people to say that they are just up and moving to a different city or state but I'm finding it a little difficult.

Could you provide some guidance?

Thanks,

D
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
It's amazing but I actually agree with Captain Atlanta on this one.

Houston, and practically everywhere in Texas, is doing much better economically than Atlanta. It's rarely a good idea to just up and move somewhere, even in an excellent economy.

What is it about Atlanta that makes you want to move here?

*I think I've been tricked...

Last edited by DTL3000; 01-05-2011 at 12:04 PM..

Old 01-05-2011, 12:15 PM

1,241 posts, read 1,894,986 times
Do not move to Atlanta. The market is oversaturated here and jobs are very hard to come by. If you don't know someone or are affiliated it's very hard to get a job. This is not the time or the economic conditions to just up and move somewhere. Unemployment is high, jobs are scarce, and dating/finding friends in Atlanta...........................nevermind that reality

Old 01-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Wow guys! I didn't know it was that bad...I'm into modeling and acting so I thought Atlanta would be a great place to move and come up in the industry. Apparently, not:-(

I guess was just misinformed by all the people who go there to party and give the city a lot of hype. (Sigh) Thanks everyone.

Old 01-05-2011, 05:43 PM

34 posts, read 90,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGood616 View Post
Wow guys! I didn't know it was that bad...I'm into modeling and acting so I thought Atlanta would be a great place to move and come up in the industry. Apparently, not:-(

I guess was just misinformed by all the people who go there to party and give the city a lot of hype. (Sigh) Thanks everyone.
If that is what you are going to do then that is fine since this is a hub for it. Just make sure you have a some sort of way to live until you get work.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:18 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,812,436 times
If you want to act/model you should go to New York or LA, depending on your "type" and skill level.
Do you have any experience? Headshots? Resume? Any theater/acting classes? If not, I would stay in Houston and work on all of the above. Local theater is a great place to get a start after you have at least some acting classes under your belt. Try to find a mentor who will help guide you.

Old 01-05-2011, 07:58 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,530,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
If you want to act/model you should go to New York or LA, depending on your "type" and skill level.
Do you have any experience? Headshots? Resume? Any theater/acting classes? If not, I would stay in Houston and work on all of the above. Local theater is a great place to get a start after you have at least some acting classes under your belt. Try to find a mentor who will help guide you.
Excellent advice. Get it all together before you take a chance on moving.

Don't let anyone fool you. Atlanta isn't nearly on a NYC or LA level yet. You can probably get just as much modeling and acting work in Houston as you could in Atlanta.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:10 PM

1,498 posts, read 3,107,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta_dude View Post
If that is what you are going to do then that is fine since this is a hub for it. Just make sure you have a some sort of way to live until you get work.
Atlanta is not a hub for modeling.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:51 PM

34 posts, read 90,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackCobain View Post
Atlanta is not a hub for modeling.
Acting, yes. Modeling not so much.

Old 01-06-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks so much for the info!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: