Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2011, 01:44 PM

32 posts, read 158,075 times

Advertisements

Good Afternoon everyone...Let me explain: I got a job last November working for a company and just this past September they laid me off. My unemployment is going to be runnning out soon, and I have applied almost everywhere I can think of. My dilemma is this: I have a simple worthless check on my record from NC back in 2007...it's a misdemeanor, and it was a suspended sentence with 1yr probation..let me add this is the ONLY thing that is on my record; I do not have anything else on it. Probation was served, check and fines, all of that was paid for. I have my career diploma as a Pharmacy Technician(studying to get certified for that) and am currently going to school for my Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I have customer service, call center, and some medical assistant employment experience. The job that hired me in November did not do a criminal records check on me and I was hired as a Call Center Assistant Manager. So my question is: Does anyone know of any jobs right now that are hiring w/o conducting criminal background checks or that are pretty lenient on background checks with applicants? I do not care how much the job pays and as long as it does not require you to have your bachelors completed, I will apply for the job. Something that is MARTA accessible as well. I know there is something out there, so if somebody, ANYBODY can please help me, I would sincerely and greatly appreciate it.

Old 01-05-2011, 01:52 PM

88 posts, read 198,934 times
I believe honesty is the best policy in this case. Don't write off a job opportunity even if you are 100% positive they do a backround check. If you get to the second or third interview and you are confronted with the backround check question just tell them exactly what you said above. There are alot of people that have made mistakes much worse than yours! It sounds like you can tell a positive story regarding the past three years as well so I would focus on that

Old 01-05-2011, 06:23 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,549 times
Ask upfront before you apply. If you have a criminal history and you hide it from the employer after you are hired, you can be let go without explanation. Georgia is an at will state, meaning you can be let go for any reason.

You would have better luck with smaller mom-and-pop companies, not larger companies (over 100 employees or so) as you apply. Good luck.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:09 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,534,516 times
Misdemanors are usually not too bad but in todays market with some of these asshat HR and hiring managers you don't know what will get you a job. Good luck

Old 01-05-2011, 08:55 PM

3,913 posts, read 5,230,152 times
Default Not for the job you want?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dymediva21 View Post
Good Afternoon everyone...Let me explain: I got a job last November working for a company and just this past September they laid me off. My unemployment is going to be runnning out soon, and I have applied almost everywhere I can think of. My dilemma is this: I have a simple worthless check on my record from NC back in 2007...it's a misdemeanor, and it was a suspended sentence with 1yr probation..let me add this is the ONLY thing that is on my record; I do not have anything else on it. Probation was served, check and fines, all of that was paid for. I have my career diploma as a Pharmacy Technician(studying to get certified for that) and am currently going to school for my Bachelors in Criminal Justice. I have customer service, call center, and some medical assistant employment experience. The job that hired me in November did not do a criminal records check on me and I was hired as a Call Center Assistant Manager. So my question is: Does anyone know of any jobs right now that are hiring w/o conducting criminal background checks or that are pretty lenient on background checks with applicants? I do not care how much the job pays and as long as it does not require you to have your bachelors completed, I will apply for the job. Something that is MARTA accessible as well. I know there is something out there, so if somebody, ANYBODY can please help me, I would sincerely and greatly appreciate it.
I'm glad to see you "did the right thing" and paid for it....not sure why you didn't settle that BEFORE you were adjudicated but, you might want to look in some way other than "some simple worthless check".....simple, worthless....to who? You ? Probably not the recipient I'm guessing.....

Why didn't you take care of this before the trial? Regardless, you probably need to look for something that is more reliant on dependability than background. High turnover jobs might work. Commission only sales jobs definitely as they have no leverage on you anyway.

Tough situation. Can you get the record expunged? Have you had ANY infractions since?

Old 01-08-2011, 09:08 PM

109 posts, read 166,278 times
You could pretend to be a doctor. That sort of thing seems to be fairly prevalent and, apparently, easy to do. (har har)...seriously, I wish you luck, not sure how far honesty will get you these days in that situation, but I definitely think that's the best policy.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:16 PM

2,534 posts, read 2,255,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb Longstreet View Post
I'm glad to see you "did the right thing" and paid for it....not sure why you didn't settle that BEFORE you were adjudicated but, you might want to look in some way other than "some simple worthless check".....simple, worthless....to who? You ? Probably not the recipient I'm guessing.....

Why didn't you take care of this before the trial? Regardless, you probably need to look for something that is more reliant on dependability than background. High turnover jobs might work. Commission only sales jobs definitely as they have no leverage on you anyway.

Tough situation. Can you get the record expunged? Have you had ANY infractions since?
Yes why not try getting it expunged? The job market is so tough and background checks are so inexpensive even "mom and pop" companies are doing them. I know a few people who have small businesses and due to their small size they are vulnerable and thus rely on background checks. I would contact the state court there in NC and inquire about having the records expunged.

In the meanwhile, there may be some small companies that don't care about misdemeanors. You may be able to find work doing housekeeping/cleaning (motels, hotels, extended stay), cold calling, telemarketing or B2B sales.

Just keep applying for jobs and don't give up. Ultimately it's up to the HR dept whether they want to take the risk of hiring you or not. Best wishes to you.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:31 PM

50 posts, read 106,119 times
I would not sweat a misdemeanor. Just be honest. A felony well that is another issue.

Old 01-10-2011, 09:46 PM

16,212 posts, read 10,823,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 79_Limited View Post
I would not sweat a misdemeanor. Just be honest. A felony well that is another issue.

This.

I work for a pretty large company and we hire people as long as they don't have a felony and the misdemeanor is not related to theft or something, if the person is applying for a position that involves money or check handling.

Unfortunately, we aren't hiring now, but good luck and keep applying. I would also suggest going to the department of labor and having them help you expunge your record.

Old 01-11-2011, 11:27 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,963,487 times
Wal-Mart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta