Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2011, 01:58 PM

747 posts, read 1,544,343 times

Advertisements

I've heard about this place but have never been inside. Kinda scared to honestly, LOL.
Kennesaw must be very proud...or not.

A Shop in Georgia Sells Racist Wares | Southern Poverty Law Center

(and it should read IN Kennesaw, dammit)

Old 01-05-2011, 03:11 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
I don't find anything wrong with the emporium.

Better that the bubbas sit in their little store, buy their baubles and fantasize about the "good ol' days" then to have them walk around in the streets and try to forcibly renew that atrocious pre-1964 CRA time period, I'd think.

Old 01-05-2011, 03:15 PM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
I've heard about this place but have never been inside. Kinda scared to honestly, LOL.
Kennesaw must be very proud...or not.

A Shop in Georgia Sells Racist Wares | Southern Poverty Law Center

(and it should read IN Kennesaw, dammit)
I know about the place. I don't like it one bit.

Old 01-05-2011, 04:28 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
I've been there. It's interesting to say the least. The owner has a lot of pictures of black visitors posing with him in the store. I guess that's the equivalent of "How can I be racist with all the black friends I have?"

He has a "museum" in the back that has all sorts of civil war, kkk, and Jim Crow era paraphernalia. The actual store sells typical redneck right wing stuff like "Fergit? Hell!" bumper stickers, copies of "The Turner Diaries" and Civil War collectibles.

I recommend it to anybody who wants a taste of what it was like back in those days. I agree with Acid. It's a reminder of how things were in the old south.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:16 PM

876 posts, read 2,278,359 times
I think I read about that place one time or something similar in NW Georgia, forget now. This is the kind of attention he wants, you know? I haven't been there and have 0 interest in it myself.

Maybe some of the very offending old signage can be sold to museums. There is always a flip side to things.

Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,885,851 times
If you remove all negative images from the past in order to "sanitize" society, then exactly how are future generations supposed to realize how bad the world once was? This would apply to Nazi memorabilia, negative items about Blacks, women, Asians, etc that have been in our country (and others) since it became a country. If you remove all negative traces of our past, you can't move forward to be better.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 PM

704 posts, read 936,073 times
Wow, Wildman's is still around! Does he still wear hip holsters with two .45 Revolvers? I visited his shop a few times during High School in the early 80's. He had quite the collection of Civil War memorabilia for sale and it was quite a popular local shop.

Reminds me of how we all used to learn "Dixie" and "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" in music class and Square Dancing in physical ed class. I bet these lessons are no longer taught in Cobb County Schools.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:32 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If you remove all negative images from the past in order to "sanitize" society, then exactly how are future generations supposed to realize how bad the world once was? This would apply to Nazi memorabilia, negative items about Blacks, women, Asians, etc that have been in our country (and others) since it became a country. If you remove all negative traces of our past, you can't move forward to be better.
Couldnt agree more and YES Wildmans is still there and it is more of a novelty than anything else. I mean if it was a racist Klan hangout dont you think the Police which are literally right next door at City Hall might take issue. What about all of the other downtown Kennesaw business that are in the area? Lets also not forget about the Civil War museum right across the street. It is pretty obvious to me that if the place was as bad as some people claim that it would been shut down long ago and YES I have been there and while there are Klan items in there the overwhelming amount of stuff is based on the Civil War and provides many items for Civil War enthusiast who participate in the reenactments in the area. The funniest thing is when you walk in and you see the board of photos of all the blacks that have visited his shop over the years. I give him credit because it does disarm you when you see that display. Wildman also was very polite and seemed to enjoy talking about the Civil War so I see NO problem with what he does.

Old 01-06-2011, 08:31 AM

426 posts, read 2,322,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I agree, you can't erase history. It is there as a reminder not to repeat it again. But some of the stuff he has in his store is just downright offensive, from the article: "you have to walk by a dingy display case full of KKK daggers and Civil War bullets and past the rack of white-power novels and Johnny Rebel CDs, featuring classics such as "****** Hatin' Me," "****** ******, Who Likes a ******," "Move them ******s North" and "Some ******s Never Die, They Just Smell That Way."

I have never been to the store but have been aware of it for years. I believe in free speech. And with that belief you have to support the speech you like and don't like.

Last edited by stvincent; 01-06-2011 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: The "***" is meant to be the slur for Black Americans

Old 01-06-2011, 08:50 AM

396 posts, read 601,597 times
he goes way past the limit of what i think any sane person would think is acceptable. there's a clear difference between just displaying history, and trying to keep it going.

Quote:
...and Johnny Rebel CDs, featuring classics such as "****** Hatin' Me," "****** ******, Who Likes a ******," "Move them ******s North" and "Some ******s Never Die, They Just Smell That Way." Crossing into a chained-off museum area of the store, posted "No Dogs, No Negroes, No Mexicans" (although the sign has been amended to read "Dogs OK") . . .reach a mannequin dressed in moldering Klan robes and holding a noose.

...Myers' dubious treasures include a small box of "niglet repellant" — cotton balls, he explains. "It's supposed to be a joke," Myers says. "Somebody told me they won't pick cotton because they've gone upper-class now.
lol, took awhile to respond to this, seems like someone else got to it first...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: