Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 09:14 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,270,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabasse View Post
he goes way past the limit of what i think any sane person would think is acceptable. there's a clear difference between just displaying history, and trying to keep it going.

lol, took awhile to respond to this, seems like someone else got to it first...
No one is denying that the man has a racist, ole south mentality. However I have meet the man and can tell you that he does NOT go out of his way to discourage minorities from entering his shop. With that said, how is what he is doing any different from the "black power" shops that I have seen inside flea markets in this town. They have the same types of items he has ONLY with a racist slant towards whites. Bottomline, you may not like this place and that is your right because no one is requiring that you or anyone else walk in the place. Freedom of speech is truly a lovely thing.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:22 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,620,283 times
I would think that's what museums and history books are for. We have plenty of mementos. If I'm not mistaken they also have things in that store that aren't historically accurate. "Fantasy racist" products and the like. (obviously I can't vouch for this as I'd never even consider entering such a place) Not saying that the man doesn't have the right to sell what he wants in his store, but let's not pretend that it has anything to do with preserving history. The man's a bigot. Fortunately, this is America and his right to be a bigot is Constitutionally protected, but I refuse to let anyone get away with pretending that it's something that it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
If you remove all negative images from the past in order to "sanitize" society, then exactly how are future generations supposed to realize how bad the world once was? This would apply to Nazi memorabilia, negative items about Blacks, women, Asians, etc that have been in our country (and others) since it became a country. If you remove all negative traces of our past, you can't move forward to be better.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:39 PM

3,573 posts, read 5,309,239 times
Not sure how you will take this, but here is a little something from "The Boondocks" cartoon show that kinda delve into this subject area.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmEaV...eature=related

Quote:
Originally Posted by stvincent View Post
I agree, you can't erase history. It is there as a reminder not to repeat it again. But some of the stuff he has in his store is just downright offensive, from the article: "you have to walk by a dingy display case full of KKK daggers and Civil War bullets and past the rack of white-power novels and Johnny Rebel CDs, featuring classics such as "****** Hatin' Me," "****** ******, Who Likes a ******," "Move them ******s North" and "Some ******s Never Die, They Just Smell That Way."

I have never been to the store but have been aware of it for years. I believe in free speech. And with that belief you have to support the speech you like and don't like.

Last edited by AcidSnake; 01-07-2011 at 06:03 PM..

Old 01-08-2011, 11:48 PM

282 posts, read 634,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by y8tiger View Post
Wow, Wildman's is still around! Does he still wear hip holsters with two .45 Revolvers? I visited his shop a few times during High School in the early 80's. He had quite the collection of Civil War memorabilia for sale and it was quite a popular local shop.

Reminds me of how we all used to learn "Dixie" and "When Johnny Comes Marching Home" in music class and Square Dancing in physical ed class. I bet these lessons are no longer taught in Cobb County Schools.
You learned square dancing in P.E.? Wouldnt that be dance class?

Old 01-09-2011, 01:29 AM

11,334 posts, read 26,086,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcFly View Post
We learned it in normal gym class as well. Of course, for me that was a little while ago. And not in Georgia.

Old 01-09-2011, 08:35 AM

32,025 posts, read 36,782,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suprascooby22 View Post
Bottomline, you may not like this place and that is your right because no one is requiring that you or anyone else walk in the place. Freedom of speech is truly a lovely thing.
I agree with scooby that freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, even though we have to put up with the obnoxious and the loonies, too.

Here's another article with a slightly different perspective. To me it sounds like this guy has figured out that being an oddity provides some marketable publicity. There are plenty of Civil War memorabilia shops, but it gives you a little panache if you wear your hair like a hippie and call yourself "Wildman" and profess to be a supporter of the KKK.

What You Haven't Heard About Wildman - Kennesaw, GA Patch

Old 01-09-2011, 12:54 PM

1,352 posts, read 4,374,690 times
haven't heard of it but will definitely go in now

also, ADL/SLPC are one/two (play of word here) of the most unreliable and biased agenda driven groups out there.. so not much credibility about anything they say

Old 01-09-2011, 01:12 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,531,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
I agree with scooby that freedom of speech is a wonderful thing, even though we have to put up with the obnoxious and the loonies, too.

Here's another article with a slightly different perspective. To me it sounds like this guy has figured out that being an oddity provides some marketable publicity. There are plenty of Civil War memorabilia shops, but it gives you a little panache if you wear your hair like a hippie and call yourself "Wildman" and profess to be a supporter of the KKK.

What You Haven't Heard About Wildman - Kennesaw, GA Patch
That's a a good write up. He definitely seems like an interesting guy. He might be one of those folks who's hard to pin down. I think he enjoys getting a rise out of people and is probably more live and let live than anything else.

Old 05-04-2011, 01:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,760 times
Sometimes history hurts. If you can't take it, stay out. Pay attention to things that make a real impact and forget the rest.

Old 05-05-2011, 03:12 PM

194 posts, read 618,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcFly View Post
I grew up in the 70s/80s on the South Side of Chicago (the Black part) and went to schools that were functionally segregated.

It boggled my young mind that we were forced to learn square dancing as a segment of PE.

One of these days I'm gonna have to make a trip out to Wildman's.

My mother, on the other hand, would NEVER set foot in a place like that and would be mortally offended that such an affront was allowed to persist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
View detailed profiles of: