Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:50 PM

7 posts, read 52,744 times

Advertisements

Can Anyone Tell Me About Panola Road In Lithonia, Georgia. How Is The Crime There? I Am Deciding To Move There From Houston, Texas. Is The City Population Growing? Is The City Quiet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 10:00 PM

43 posts, read 258,288 times
Default Not a fan of Dekalb county

Hi,
Where on Panola are you thinking about moving? It's a long road with varying degrees of crime. I personally would not move anywhere in Dekalb county. The county crime is horrendous. The better areas are near Panola State Park.

Old 09-12-2007, 05:03 AM

612 posts, read 2,778,216 times
I agree. That would not be the best area. Tell us if you are looking to rent or buy and we should be able to find you some better areas.

Old 09-12-2007, 07:34 AM

178 posts, read 528,379 times
I'm not sure about the Lithonia part of Panola Road..but i'm not far from it in Ellenwood..actually off River Road...and that area is growing fast...huge houses for 300-500k ..Thurgood Esates 600+ and so forth

If the area you are talking about is by the Walmart then i can tell you it's pretty busy over there...i'm not sure about the crime..but that Walmart isn't the greatest.....and i don't go to it anymore

Maybe some more people will chime and with more info

Old 09-12-2007, 02:05 PM

232 posts, read 1,722,402 times
Hello, I was a Dekalb Police Officer for several years and worked in that area. In all honesty not trying to sugar coat anything, crime is horrible in the area. There are a tremendous amount of armed robberies, burglaries, and car thefts up and down Panola Road. Many people are lured to the area because of a low cost of housing and shorter commutes, but if crime is in question, it is bad. No two ways to put it.

Old 09-13-2007, 03:08 AM

Default What About River Road?

IS RIVER ROAD A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE? WE ARE INTERESTED IN BUYING A NEW GEORGIA HOME IN THAT AREA. I AM MOVING FROM HOUSTON, TEXAS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike929 View Post
I'm not sure about the Lithonia part of Panola Road..but i'm not far from it in Ellenwood..actually off River Road...and that area is growing fast...huge houses for 300-500k ..Thurgood Esates 600+ and so forth

If the area you are talking about is by the Walmart then i can tell you it's pretty busy over there...i'm not sure about the crime..but that Walmart isn't the greatest.....and i don't go to it anymore

Maybe some more people will chime and with more info

Old 09-13-2007, 03:11 AM

Default Looking to buy

I am looking to buy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlh891 View Post
I agree. That would not be the best area. Tell us if you are looking to rent or buy and we should be able to find you some better areas.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:07 AM

43 posts, read 258,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGEMUFFIN View Post
IS RIVER ROAD A GOOD PLACE TO LIVE? WE ARE INTERESTED IN BUYING A NEW GEORGIA HOME IN THAT AREA. I AM MOVING FROM HOUSTON, TEXAS.
River Rd is close to the Panola Mountain State Park. I know two professional couples that live off of River Rd close to the Panola Rd. end. One lives in a new subdivision of $500,000 - $1,000,000 homes while the other lives in an older established subdivision. Neither have been victims of crimes and their children go to charter or theme schools in the area. They haven't had any complaints since they have been there. As for the comment about the Walmart in the area, customer service leaves much to be desired.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by btrfly414 View Post
River Rd is close to the Panola Mountain State Park. I know two professional couples that live off of River Rd close to the Panola Rd. end. One lives in a new subdivision of $500,000 - $1,000,000 homes while the other lives in an older established subdivision. Neither have been victims of crimes and their children go to charter or theme schools in the area. They haven't had any complaints since they have been there. As for the comment about the Walmart in the area, customer service leaves much to be desired.
very true on the Walmart statement. And it's a newer Walmart at that. Customer service and overall up keep of the store.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORANGEMUFFIN View Post
I beleive it's a good area...and it is growing fast..as the poster below states, the two people she knows that actually live in one of the areas i mentioned. I currently stay in Camelot subdivision...and i will say that maybe a month or two ago the next door neighbors house was broken into...that is the only crime i can think of in the past year+. But if you have the finances for one of the new subdivision i would say it would be worth it to check them out...or even some of the older sub divisions..which most might be 5-6yrs old
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta