U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:40 PM
 
7 posts, read 14,368 times
Reputation: 11

Advertisements

HELLO

Our family is planning a move to GA this summer. We would love to hear suggestions for the Atlanta area. We're not very familiar with Atlanta at all so please fire away

We have 2 children with Asperger's and I homeschool them so we need an area with an active homeschooling group. The children also receive private speech, physical, and occupational therapy services.

We love an urban area but with all of the rural benefits too if that's possible. Nightmare traffic would be difficult for us to deal with, especially with being on the run so much for the kids' therapy/doctor's appointments. We will also be establishing specialist care for the kids, I have learned from others that Emory is a great hospital?

Cost of living is a factor of course as my husband is the sole income provider for our family.

Oh and we're Baptists lol. So a good Baptist church is a must

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks and Blessings,
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-05-2011, 09:52 PM
 
8,862 posts, read 14,866,961 times
Reputation: 2280
Here's a previous thread>>>
Good school districts for special needs in ATL and providers for speech, PT and neurofeedback

In post #7 or 8 someone provided a link that might be useful.

I'm not certain how to research home schooling groups. You might find the area of Gwinnett County around Dacula to be a fit for your family. Where will your husband be working? The commute to downtown from NE Gwinnett can be challenging but it is a family friendly area.

There are many options for finding good churches--many Baptist churches in GA.

Emory is highly regarded and there are branches throughout the metro area.

hth
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 07:15 AM
 
9,124 posts, read 32,829,964 times
Reputation: 3541
My first suggestion would be to have a job before you get here, and figure out where to live based on where you'll be working. Have you started the job search yet?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-06-2011, 08:56 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,048 times
Reputation: 10
Sandy springs is right on the northern tip of the highway 285 perimiter. Its good if you want a city-suburb feel. Check it out. Also roswell is a little north of that, great place to live. I would know after 8 years of living there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 AM
 
9 posts, read 27,563 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestymom View Post
HELLO

Our family is planning a move to GA this summer. We would love to hear suggestions for the Atlanta area. We're not very familiar with Atlanta at all so please fire away

We have 2 children with Asperger's and I homeschool them so we need an area with an active homeschooling group. The children also receive private speech, physical, and occupational therapy services.

We love an urban area but with all of the rural benefits too if that's possible. Nightmare traffic would be difficult for us to deal with, especially with being on the run so much for the kids' therapy/doctor's appointments. We will also be establishing specialist care for the kids, I have learned from others that Emory is a great hospital?

Cost of living is a factor of course as my husband is the sole income provider for our family.

Oh and we're Baptists lol. So a good Baptist church is a must

Any and all suggestions welcome!

Thanks and Blessings,
Amy
Near Emory, you will find clusters of homeschoolers in Avondale Estates, City of Pine Lake, Smokerise area of Stone Mountain, and Tucker. The group is secular-inclusive and called LEAD. If you want Christian, you can try NEACH for networking.

Baptist church will not be a problem anywhere.

City of Decatur is great for kids and close to Emory, but does not have many home schoolers due to their massive spending and civic pride in City of Decatur Schools. Druid Hills is the neighborhood closest to Emory and there are a few home schooling families, and you would be in the neighborhood adjacent to the neighborhood where LEAD classes are held (Oakhurst of Decatur) and fairly central to LEAD-member home schoolers.

Both Atlanta Gymnastics Center in Decatur and Atlanta School of Gymnastics in Tucker have coaches experienced with kids with Aspergers or Autism spectrum. Swimming is also big here which is a sport some Asp. / spectrum kids I know enjoy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
 
7 posts, read 14,368 times
Reputation: 11
Default Thank you

Thank you everyone for the information. I am exploring all of these options. I really appreciate your input. My husband has a job in which he travels and I have a work from home business so really we could live anywhere in GA but assumed that Atlanta would be the best fit for our children's needs.

Are there any other major cities you would recommend? We do hesitate about the urban nightmare that Atlanta seems to be according to many threads

We had thought about Macon, Augusta or Savannah, does anyone have any thoughts on these areas for the specific needs of homeschooling and services for the kids' Aspergers etc?? Also regarding cost of living?

As long as we could get to Atlanta within a couple of hours, we feel comfortable with that for their specialist visits as we are used to driving a couple of hours to Vanderbilt Children's in Nashville currently and can usually coordinate multiple appointments together.

Any and all suggestions welcome

Blessings,
Amy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 09:28 AM
 
Location: ATL
4,688 posts, read 6,632,818 times
Reputation: 1804
You have plenty of options. It all depends on if u want to live near the city or in the suburbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-20-2011, 10:46 AM
 
1,054 posts, read 2,905,041 times
Reputation: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeAhike View Post
Here's a previous thread>>>
Good school districts for special needs in ATL and providers for speech, PT and neurofeedback

In post #7 or 8 someone provided a link that might be useful.

I'm not certain how to research home schooling groups. You might find the area of Gwinnett County around Dacula to be a fit for your family. Where will your husband be working? The commute to downtown from NE Gwinnett can be challenging but it is a family friendly area.

There are many options for finding good churches--many Baptist churches in GA.

Emory is highly regarded and there are branches throughout the metro area.

hth
Dacula (Gwinnett County) is a very family friendly area, and Gwinnett County has a huge home schooling population. Umm, you're Baptist? I don't think that will be a problem here. lol
Coming from NYC, and Southeast Florida, this area (Dacula) is definitely (in my opinion) rural fringe, but close enough to what I consider a suburban feel (Mall of Georgia area is 7 min away). Of course to some it's not rural enough. But I come from big cities, so this is pretty somewhere between suburban and rural to me. I love it here though. I'm not Baptist (I'm Greek Orthodox actually). It's a great area, in my opinion, and the cost of living is low (from what I'm used to). Good luck!
Oh, just another tid bit of info...I home school (private msg me if you have any questions )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 04:24 AM
 
9 posts, read 27,563 times
Reputation: 11
Atlanta is only an urban nightmare if you are planning to commute during rush hour and not reverse-commute (I have put in my time driving from intown out to Gwinnett suburbs for home school classes and it's no big deal, though I'm happy we now do those classes in our neighborhood). You and your husband are not planning to do so. But let's face it, sometimes doctors appointments take place at 9am. Just live in Druid Hills (like Artwood Road), Decatur (30030 or continuous and adjacent with the north border of City of Decatur) or Avondale Estates and you will be happy. We also do have trains, and if you leave near a station they are super-easy for air travel trips because they pull right into the airport. I lived in Decatur for 10 years, .9 miles from a Marta station and now live in AE, .5 miles from a Marta station and it's really the best of both worlds -- small town feel, city amenities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-22-2011, 07:44 AM
 
Location: Cumming
59 posts, read 246,492 times
Reputation: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ1972 View Post
Dacula (Gwinnett County) is a very family friendly area, and Gwinnett County has a huge home schooling population. Umm, you're Baptist? I don't think that will be a problem here. lol
Coming from NYC, and Southeast Florida, this area (Dacula) is definitely (in my opinion) rural fringe, but close enough to what I consider a suburban feel (Mall of Georgia area is 7 min away). Of course to some it's not rural enough. But I come from big cities, so this is pretty somewhere between suburban and rural to me. I love it here though. I'm not Baptist (I'm Greek Orthodox actually). It's a great area, in my opinion, and the cost of living is low (from what I'm used to). Good luck!
Oh, just another tid bit of info...I home school (private msg me if you have any questions )
That's a nice area for sure. Check out the Moving to Atlanta guide here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top