U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 06:45 AM

58 posts, read 244,817 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone!

I'm from NJ and looking to move south for obvious reasons (weather, taxes) and trying to determine if there are any areas north of atlanta (where I'm hoping the heat is a little less intense) that offer a small town feel. What I mean by this is that in Jersey we're used to small communities usually touching into other small communities--not having to drive down long rural roads to get from one town to the next. Also don't want development communities where the homes feel very spread out from one another and of course don't want a postage stamp either where I often see developments where neighbors can reach out their windows and shake hands.

Thank you--your feedback is very much appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 AM

9,124 posts, read 32,740,870 times
The further north you get, the more rural most areas become. I'm originally from NJ as well, so if you give me an idea of what town in NJ you're looking at, I may be able to help. Bear in mind though that there's not really a large difference in the heat unless you get way up into the mountains.

Lastly, you're not going to find a significant difference in the heat here vs NJ- the temps are fairly similar many days in the summer, as is the humidity. You will find that the humidity tapers off at night here, whereas in NJ it stays sticky all night.

Old 01-06-2011, 07:12 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,807,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
Hi Everyone!

I'm from NJ and looking to move south for obvious reasons (weather, taxes) and trying to determine if there are any areas north of atlanta (where I'm hoping the heat is a little less intense) that offer a small town feel. What I mean by this is that in Jersey we're used to small communities usually touching into other small communities--not having to drive down long rural roads to get from one town to the next. Also don't want development communities where the homes feel very spread out from one another and of course don't want a postage stamp either where I often see developments where neighbors can reach out their windows and shake hands.

Thank you--your feedback is very much appreciated!
To clarify--'communities north of Atlanta'--will you need to commute into Atlanta?

Dahlonega is a small college town in the North GA mountains--possibly 2 hours from Atlanta--too far for most commuters.

Old 01-07-2011, 05:03 AM

Default To Bobkovacs

Hi Bobkovacs,

Thanks for your feedback. I've lived in 2 areas of NJ: Little Silver (monmouth cty, central jersey) and Haddonfield (camden cty, south jersey). Both have a small town feel--historical charm to homes and downtown, homes not too spread out, one town transitioning into the next.

*I'm very interested in your commment about the weather. You said the summers are similar to NJ but I thought I heard Georgia can get quite hot, though NJ can get quite hot/humid as well and maybe that's what you are referring too when you stated their similarity in terms of temps in the summer?

- You know in NJ there is nothing in bloom from around Nov thru April, are plants/flowers in bloom for a longer period in the atlanta area?

- How many cold months does the atlanta area get because really looking to get away from the many cold days in NJ

- I have a friend who lives in alpharetta and I have heard good things about that area and near marietta but again trying to find communities that don't feel too rural.

Thank you!

Old 01-07-2011, 05:51 AM

2,985 posts, read 6,468,642 times
Winters are brief here compared to New Jersey. It is really only December, January and February that there are any consistent stretches of days under 50 degrees. By early March the forsythia and daffodils are blooming and the trees are greening up. April is simply lovely.

Old 01-07-2011, 07:21 AM

8,862 posts, read 14,807,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samsdad View Post
- I have a friend who lives in alpharetta and I have heard good things about that area and near marietta but again trying to find communities that don't feel too rural.

Thank you!
Alpharetta is north of Atlanta but considered part of the metro area. Many commute daily to downtown and other areas.

A good quality of life is available here--good schools, access to outdoor recreation and more. It is suburban, not much like a small town, jmo.

http://alpharetta.ga.us/

Johns Creek for Families Vs Alpharetta & Suwanee

Old 01-07-2011, 11:04 AM

One thing I like here vs NJ is the amount of evergreens. Even in the winter, there's plenty of green, whereas in NJ all the trees are barren. I was just up there last week, and the difference was very noticeable.

You may want to look at Woodstock in Cherokee County and the areas of Cobb County just south of there. You may find them to be similar to Little Silver- especially Woodstock. Roswell also comes to mind.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:31 AM

To BobKovacs:

Again thank you for your feedback. Would you possibly be able to give me a little more details re: my last post--what are the hottest months and how do they compare to NJ AND are many things in blooms longer in GA vs NJ?

Thank you!

Old 01-08-2011, 02:39 PM

The hottest months are July and August, just like NJ. Summer is very similar, just a little longer.

I don't really spend much time thinking about how the blooms compare, but given a somewhat longer warm season, i'd suspect things stay in bloom longer. I can say that the trees usually finish losing their leaves around Thanksgiving, if that means anything to you.

Old 01-08-2011, 03:39 PM

12 posts, read 33,462 times
Default Looking for small town feel in Georgia?

About 70% of my clients last year have moved down here from NJ to escape the weather. I'm not sure how it compares, but I know many of them are happy their here.

As far as getting a small town feeling here in Georgia with out being in the woods...I would say there's many great places like that north of Atlanta. The question I have for you is what your life style is like and what you need to have access to before pen pointing a spot. -TIKI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or