Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-11-2011, 06:32 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,529,674 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by waronxmas View Post
Well you see, they do have plows. And they have been out...just on the highways though. They got priority since they are not only important for transportation around the city, but because of all the freight moving up the east coast via trailers from port cities in florida and the gulf coast.

Main city streets would be the next priority.

Then neighborhood streets....the sun will come out eventually.

Secondly, when was the city "shut down" before? Are you talking about that ice storm a few weeks back? Aside from a really crappy commute how was the city shut down? I know I was at work the next morning.
Last February it snowed a pretty decent amount. Enough to shut MARTA down for at least a day, maybe two.

And I meant to say the state DOT should get the plows, not the city itself.

I may be wrong but wouldn't having more plows speed up the process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2011, 06:48 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
OK, so here's an article where Reed discusses the city's response:

Atlanta weather | Mayor said city caught unawares by storm, ramping up street clearing efforts *| ajc.com

Old 01-11-2011, 06:49 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTL3000 View Post
I may be wrong but wouldn't having more plows speed up the process?
Semi.

If people had stayed off the road and allowed them to do their plan of one lane at a time, things would have been better but yes double or triple trucks would have helped the situation but it still wouldn't be enough trucks for the metro area and most of these trucks would seat idle most of the year so it would be a waste of money.

Quote:
there is two inch thick ice on the sidewalks
That's not the city or state problem. That's the property owner behind it responsibility.

Old 01-11-2011, 06:54 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by society619 View Post
So it is the people's fault all roads and streets are undriveable and there is two inch thick ice on the sidewalks and the state has been shutdown for the last three days??? Okay
I'm just saying quit complaining and bashing the gubmint so much, and try to HELP and provide solutions. They're doing the best they can, with the resources available to them. But I guess it's easier to just ***** and complain to the gubmint about everything, without trying to help your fellow man.

Oh well, carry on with the *****'n'moan fest.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:11 PM

631 posts, read 1,093,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plessthanpointohfive View Post
That headline doesn't make sense, and it's slightly misleading once you decipher it, but anyway, Thanks Mr. Mayor for doing your best. And thank God for no weather related deaths.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:28 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,706,146 times
We need Snow Emergency Routes here to keep the idiots off the roads during storms so the DOT crews can work unimpeded.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:30 PM

1,207 posts, read 2,811,551 times
We all had lots of advance notice about this storm and being new to Atlanta, I took it seriously that things might be a little tough. So, planned out a week's worth of menus, shopped accordingly and have enjoyed being able to kick back, shovel some snow and watch idiots driving around.

Interesting tidbit- NYC has 1,700 snowplows, ATL has 11 and Roswell 0. But, the difference is that we will be back in the 40-50s, this will melt and all will be well with the world.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:42 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,590,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkone View Post
This is the first time I actually wish I were still living in Upstate NY during the winter clearing off feet of snow. There were pieces of equipment known as plows up there that were attached to trucks circling around, dumping salt and sand, even before the first flakes fell. And roads were COMPLETELY cleared when the storm was tapering off. Are there only two or three plows total in the city of Atlanta? It seems that way .... A relatively small investment by the state (for the long-term) would go a long way toward preventing this type of shut-down for a little five inch snowfall with a little ice on top (and that is all this is). The intersection of Peachtree St. (Atlanta's signature thoroughfare) and 10th St is completely snow/slush covered which is inexcusable for people trying to go through, let alone make a turn. A mid-sized winter storm like this is bound to happen again in the next four years, and some investment in plows/trucks would go a long way toward preventing the week-long shutdown, countless accidents, lost wages, injuries etc. etc. And this extends to Hartsfield-Jackson Airport as well which is located in Atlanta (known for its ice storms), not Miami the last time I checked.

On the news today one DOT official alluded to the fact that at least some of the salt appears to be defective.

I guess plowing roads is not very productive because it's surface plowing. Plowing at a deeper level will remove the thick ice.

A lot of the interstate freeways here have above-ground lane markers. I really don't know what problems they may present for the plows. I hope the plows are not damaging the markers. If they are, that alone will be a big expense replacing them.

Old 01-11-2011, 08:03 PM

3,128 posts, read 6,530,789 times
Got out, we have an AWD SUV and only felt slippage a couple of times. Some idiot in an Acura was riding my ass and trying to push me out of the way like a complete idiot.

Can't believe things are shut down for 3 days now

Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 PM

2,642 posts, read 8,257,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirrob View Post
That headline doesn't make sense, and it's slightly misleading once you decipher it, but anyway, Thanks Mr. Mayor for doing your best. And thank God for no weather related deaths.
It's not even the same headline that's on AJC.com. And you're right...it totally misrepresents what Mayor Reed was saying...that they DID anticipate a lot of snow but they did the best they could with what they have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta